• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Srynerson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I absolutely love the 2 eyelet Corthay derby's. Do they do that in a chukka boot?

They make a three eyelet chukka. Check under Collections --> Oedipe --> Model 9 for pictures at Corthay's website: http://www.corthay.fr/corthay_en.html (Unfortunately, the site uses flash, so you can't link directly to the page for the boot.)

walneal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Corthays are really narrow. Not sure if they come in width but fwiw their RTW only come in a standard width.
I have a pair of C width Modified last Alden that fits fine, UK7.5E in EG 82, UK7E in Lobbs and UK7.5E in G&Gs.
The Corthay Arcas I own is far more narrower than those.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My new "1 pair of Black Dress shoes." I need to decide what to do with my old pair.
IMG_3959.jpg
IMG_3960.jpg
IMG_3961.jpg

onix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Are they on 337 last or did CJ make them on a different last for RL?

the picture looks like 337 which is the last for Belgraves

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
I have handled some other 337 last shoes, and these seem to be the same. I have a pair of 8Es on the 337 right now , and they look identical.

Is the fit the same with the RL branded shoe and the C&J one on the 337? The Bentons in size 13D fit me perfectly but for some reason I think a pair of Belgraves in size 12E would fit differently.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought those couple of years ago,I think, when GVH had them for around $250 or so. I didn't like the last and returned them as they looked too elongated when I tried them,I guess I should stay away from most C&J lasts.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
My new "1 pair of Black Dress shoes." I need to decide what to do with my old pair.

IMG_3959.jpg

flip them, they are boring.

keep the former and stop this silly dying experiments.

go the bespoke route, if you want a voice in the shoe game.

Harrydog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Toorman
Noticed the disussion on Corthay and just wanted to chime in. I purchased these Arca's in July of 08 and have had zero issues with them construction wise. They were a touch snug on purchase (but not uncomfortable) and after a wear or two the fit was perfect. What I have found remarkable is the almost total lack of creasing. No other shoes I have owned (C&J, Grenson, Heschung - sorry no Lobb's, EG's or Vass to compare to) have come close in this category. My Corthay's are the only shoes I own that have lasted trees so I assume that has a lot to do with it - but I remain impressed and assume that quality construction and leather must play a role as well. (FWIW I clean and condition once a month with mostly Allen Edmonds conditioners and creams - same as all my other shoes.) This is the first time I have ever attempted to post pictures (to any site) so hopefully they appear and are decent.

IMG_0350.jpg

I have the same shoe with similar results.

I am surprised overall how poorly some of the lasted trees I have fit. When I run my hand over the vamp where the shoe flexes, I can see that the fit is not particularly snug at all. In fact, there is often quite a bit of play or looseness there. I have found this to be the case with EG trees and the G&G trees I have. That might explain:

img0883m.jpg

This has soured me on purchasing any G&G with a clean, smooth vamp and toe. I'd do a captoe or a wingtip because any creasing would standout less with the captoe or wingtip.

On the other hand:

img0885y.jpg

The nearer shoe is the EG Telford; the further is a Grenson for Paul Stuart.

The EG tree does not fit very snugly. However, the shoe was really killing me across my foot where it flexed, so I cut up a felt tongue pad and glued it across the affected region. Result is a nice fit, no blisters. Whether that contributed to the snugger fit on the trees and the lack of creasing, I am not sure. The Grenson did not come with lasted trees, but the trees sold by Paul Stuart fit very snugly across the vamp. Little if any creasing has resulted. I condition the leather before wearing and regularly thereafter. I could post more pics (I have lots of shoes). We could do a thread just on creasing and not creasing.
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads