• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shoe Antiquing

Yellowevo84

Reaction score
You are correct sir. I should amend my statement as only saphir mdo creams were used which do contain wax.

Last edited:

Yellowevo84

Reaction score
A few pics of latest work

Allen Edmonds Carlyle.

After

TWU2014

Reaction score
I originally contributed to this thread under a different UN when it first started. Since then I've had to create another account because I was inactive for about 2 yrs. And forgot my account information.

1. Stripped shoes using Angelus Deglazer. I didn't condition shoes as I should have. A step I skipped because I didn't have any leather conditioner.
2. Painted the shoes using Angelus leather shoe paint. Something different than dying. Three layers of dark mocha brown, 2 coats of medium blue two coats, and then two coats of Navy.
3. Polished dark mocha with Meltonian shoe cream. Navy in coats of Neutral coat of Meltonian.
4. Steps I will eventually get around to doing soon is conditioning the shoes. Then applying multiple layers of matching shoe creams and polish to achieve a nice shine.
5. Clean up blemishes and soles with sole polish.
6. Buff, buff, and buff.

Started off as a pair of Mezlan's in medium brown.

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

Step 4

Step 5

This is my first attempt at painting shoes. I have several other pairs that I will change colors. Practice makes perfect.

I welcome feedback, comments, and suggestions.

Tony

Last edited:

Yellowevo84

Reaction score
Tony I like the spectator look of the shoes. If you have other pairs you are attempting i would highly recommend getting into the dyes. they are a lot harder to work with and takes a lot more practise but the results will work out better over time. You will get a better shine out of dyes as they penatrate the leather, also you get a natural patina over time or through different polishes. The angelus paint basically acts like painting a canvas. Still the result came out great for a first attempt. keep it up.

sfo423

Reaction score
Anyone have a "shoe guy" recco in San Francisco? Somehow, still unknown to me, my Martegani Lucca seems to be soiled/stained/ruined. I want to antique or something; not sure if salvagable.

Yellowevo84

Reaction score
Those are definitely reparable. As rider said ashineandco would be great. It just depends on what you want done and what sort of antiquing your looking for. If you want some ideas pm me and I can help you with some ideas.

Yellowevo84

Reaction score
Here is a few new works for some clients. A nice change on the cap toes considering the hand sanitizer that was spilled on them.

Buster Brown

Reaction score
Glad this thread is being kept alive. I've got a couple projects underway I hope to share soon. Just need to find more time!

sfo423

Reaction score
A medalion toe looks great with a burnished finish. I like the cognac (my only pair in this color) but would be happy to go to light brown. Another good reason to buy another replacement pair in cognac.

garland

Reaction score
I've got some projects to post too! This thread has been an incredible resource for me. Thanks to all that have contributed and to @RIDER especially for your willingness to share your trade secrets!

jokb

Reaction score

sfo423

Reaction score
After further inspection, the two soft stains on the outer toe edge is some kind of oil. Still a candidate for stripping & dye? Or, will the oiled section of the leather be doomed forever?

Anyone have a "shoe guy" recco in San Francisco? Somehow, still unknown to me, my Martegani Lucca seems to be soiled/stained/ruined. I want to antique or something; not sure if salvagable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads