• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SF Punk Rock thread

arhhhhjay

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I know the guys in NFG, as lame as their music is, are into good hardcore/punk. I saw them once at a huge punk "festival" show and they were namedropping good NYHC all nite long, which isnt surprising since Mark Hayworth is(was) their tour manager and he's played in some classic OCxHC bands like Hard Stance, No For An Answer, Inside out etc back in the 80s.

Carry On...****, that is my fave modern HC band. Ryan George is a friend of mine and after CarryOn started up a great powerpop/mod band called The Adored (with Carry On drummer Drew), but ironically left that band end of last year to do a stint in rehab. The guys from Carry On are still playing in great bands....I know Corey (guitar) and he's singing for Internal Affairs for a few years as well as starting some other new projects.

I don't know if you've heard The Betrayed but it's Arman from Champion on vox, Greg from Carry On on bass, Todd from Terror/CarryOn on guitar...fuckin awesome band, very melodic but hard. Reminds me of Verbal Assault from back in the day

Internal Affairs is good. As well as Corey, I believe Todd Jones and Greg Bacon from Carry On played for a bit with Internal Affairs. I think Greg is still playing with them.

Betrayed is also good, but too bad they're broken up now. I only got to see them a couple of times. Todd and Greg also played in Betrayed. Jim from Champion has started a new band called ON, he is on vox again.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Internal Affairs and Knife Attack are my 2 fave current HC bands...I'll have to check out ON.

for those into the 'core, you guys remember Shark Attack? That band raged beyond belief for the short time they were around...some of those guys formed a band that I *think* still plays called Violent Minds that always kicked my head in when I listened to their record

Limp_decorum, good call on Hard-Ons and The Saints...underrated bands for being fairly well known

summej2

Reaction score
Any Talk Hard fans?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by summej2
Any Talk Hard fans?

I remember Talk Hard....e/c band right? (boston i think)

Never heard anything from them but I remember their name being thrown around for a while on HxC boards. Were they a joke band (a la Crucial Youth or Grudge)?

speaking of recent Boston 'core.....it was all about DrugxTest!! DOWN THE STAIRS!

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
The D.O.A. cover of the Tom Jones song "It's Not Unusual" is a classic. Hard to find but worth tracking down.

Fabro

Reaction score
All the great old Vancouver bands:

The Subhumans (the original ones, not the UK version)
DOA
The K-tels (Young Canadians)
Dish Rags
No Fun
Pointed Sticks (OK, maybe not so much punk but were always great).

plus a ton of variations off of these. Pretty much anyone who showed up on the original Vancouver Complication album. Lately they've all been doing reunion shows. Everyone's in their late 40s/early 50s now, but it can still be a trip.

Outside of that, I still think Husker Du's Eight Miles High is one of the greatest moments in rock and roll.

Fabro

Reaction score
Can't talk about 80s alternative music in Vancouver without mentioning Slow:

I broke the circle

Have not been the same

In deep

If you've never heard them check out these tracks. It was rare indeed to get through a Slow show in it's entirety before the bar management pulled the plug on them. I was at the infamous Expo show that resulted in the cancellation of the entire independent music festival.

That was a great era for Vancouver music. It was pretty much dead by the time grunge took off down in Seattle.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
I love me some D.O.A. and NoMeansNo!

Good to see some love for NoMeansNo. "Wrong" is a spectacular album. The bass work is just out of control.

My favorites: Television, Vandals, Dead Kennedys, Flogging Molly. And I'd argue that the Clash self-titled is better than London Calling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads