Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

SF Punk Rock thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Get Smart, Apr 15, 2008.

1. shellshock

shellshock Forum Mascot

Think it was NFG before going to Further seems Forever. All part of the FL scene.

zzzz.
    chad gilbert -> shai hulud -> nfg
    chris carraba -> FSF -> dashboard [​IMG] FSF's the moon is down, so good. :p

[​IMG]

im too little to like punk rock.

2. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

3. hossoso

hossoso Coward and P*ssy

My Shadow and Turning Blue are awesome songs, the rest of Blood Visions is unimpressive but he is incredible live. Why was there not a punk rock thread before this?

4. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

Yes, this thread was way overdue.

Get Smart, I'm a big fan of The Briefs as well.

Also, I like the old stuff too. I've been listening to this constantly for the past month:

Aqui d'el Rock - Há Que Violentar o Sistema

Mind-blowing Portuguese punk from 1978. They only have 4 recorded songs I think, reissued on a pretty sweet 7" by Italy's Rave Up records.

5. limping_decorum

limping_decorum Senior member

It's always the minutemen for me. mabuhay gardens, 1981.

6. warlok1965

warlok1965 Senior member

It's always the minutemen for me.

mabuhay gardens, 1981.

Double Nickels On The Dime was the soundtrack to my life. [​IMG]

7. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

Initiation:

Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols...

Followed by the indignity of having to order the following "imports" from the local record store and waiting 2 weeks for them to arrive:

Exploited
    Varukers
    Chaos UK
    UK Subs
    Charged GBH
    Antinowhere League

And slowly branching from there into domestic stuff like Dead Kennedys, TSOL, Vandals, Butthole Surfers, and Minor Threat.

Chaos UK "No Security" still one of the baddest motherfucking punk songs ever played.

8. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

great recent clip of one of my fave oi-punk bands from early 80s, the Cockney Rejects, still rocking hard and not looking too shabby (aka fat)

Oi Oi Oi!

9. Matt

Matt [email protected]

it still blows my mind they play pennywise out on the radio here. Who the fuck still listens to pennywise?
    ^[email protected], IIRC [​IMG]
    haha, good memory, and polyrock....maybe ill time you out for daring to inadvertently question my authoritah [​IMG] but seriously.....
    That band was so good in the beginning, esp the first couple on Epitaph records. First time we saw em was at some backyard BBQ party when their first 7" came out and we were like "who the fuck is this band pennywise". Too bad they've become the "Extreme-Bro" band of choice
    ...Jason nailed it right there. I still listen to a few Pennywise tracks from that Unknown Road/About Time kinda era. Don't think I have even heard anything they have recorded since.

10. spertia

spertia Senior member

Growing up where I did, there weren't too many opportunities to see shows, but here are some of the bands that I caught during high school:

Bad Brains
    Dead Milkmen
    7 Seconds
    Fugazi
    All
    Corrosion of Conformity
    Butthole Surfers

11. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

^^ that's a great list of bands to have seen

For me the 90s were the dark ages for punk/hardcore but some of the bands that I really liked were hardcore groups that kept the older sound alive

One Life Crew
    Floorpunch
    Ignite

It did weird me out when I started going back to hardcore shows around 2000 and all the kids were doing the "picking up the change/floorpunching/kungfu" dance style. No more circle pits at hardcore shows [​IMG]

12. poly800rock

poly800rock Senior member

^^ that's a great list of bands to have seen

For me the 90s were the dark ages for punk/hardcore but some of the bands that I really liked were hardcore groups that kept the older sound alive

One Life Crew
    Floorpunch
    Ignite

It did weird me out when I started going back to hardcore shows around 2000 and all the kids were doing the "picking up the change/floorpunching/kungfu" dance style. No more circle pits at hardcore shows [​IMG]

wern't one life crew racist? I never like victory hardcorn

13. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

no OLC werent racist. Sketchy as fuck? sure. racist? nope. I've hung out with John Lockjaw and he's cool as hell. Even did backing vox with my former oi band on one of his projects that Vic from Beyond/Inside Out recorded.

14. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

zzzz. chad gilbert -> shai hulud -> nfg chris carraba -> FSF -> dashboard [​IMG] FSF's the moon is down, so good. :p [​IMG] im too little to like punk rock.
    In 1998, while playing with the Vacant Andys, (Carrabba) filled in on guitar in New Found Glory, when regular guitarist Chad Gilbert was on tour with his other band, Shai Hulud.
    Daaaaamn, gurl. I mean, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

15. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

damn it's a small world. I started in 88 with a midnite shift then we (The Jonestown Junkies) had our primetime gig from 9-midnite on Mondays from 89-91. Also did a ska/skinhead reggae show for a short time in 89, and funny thing is that this guy Bradford J. Stein (who went by the alias Tazy Phillips) got partnered up with me since he wanted a ska show but the station only wanted one so they asked if I could duo with him, I said sure, and the nonsense that became The Ska Parade happened. [​IMG]

If you were there prior to 87, maybe you remember the Generic Eric show? He did the all punk show before I came aboard, and happens to be one of my closest friends still today.

I was there in 86, but only for a semester. I can hardly remember any people at the station. But have a vague recollection of Generic Eric. I had a jangly-pop show on Friday mornings 6-9. The format was basically anything with a Rickenbacker and some reverb. Not very punk rock.