• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Santoni Shoe Appreciation Thread

Proleet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t think Carmina is generally better than fam Blake (rapid?). I know that some people see GYW as vastly superior but I don’t really and the fam finishing and other details is at a higher level imo

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because the herd mentality here on SF pushes people to these brands:

- Crockett and Jones - higher end GYW (people here prefer Made in England brands because most of them tend to be more conservative in styling and GYW)
- Allen Edmonds - typically the GYW Made in USA line, more affordable than C&J, and can be a bargain for seconds during sales and assume you get a minor cosmetically defective pair. (I admit I had great luck in getting 3 pairs of seconds from them so far, one being a cordovan model) Also very conservatively styled which fits the crowd here
- Meermin - brand of choice for the budget conscious with varying degree of QC. Most ppl tend to be happy. Better lasts than AE at a similar price point

Santonis to another poster's point also vary to a large degree. The GYW and FAM models however are quite nicely made. I think the GYW double monks that I have are the best looking and finished shoe out of all the brands that I have owned (C and J, Alfred Sargent, Ferragamo, AE). However since not all FAM models are GYW people tend to dismiss them as "garbage" or "overpriced".
I have had a few santoni shoes over the years. The are very easily available in Germany and much less so now that I live in the States... I always liked the design and quality was always great for me. I also could not care less about this whole GYW vs blake stitched etc... that's more nerd talk to me that is not applicable in the real world. Maybe more interesting if you truly want your shoes to last 10 + years which I dont care about.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Santoni chelseas

Reaction score
Picked these up, new, for less than a third of the price.
What I can say so far is that these are the most comfortable dress shoes I have ever worn.

Attachments

• sanpic.jpg
    sanpic.jpg
    479 KB · Views: 111

winston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own many Santoni shoes - more than any other brand by far. They make some very ugly shoes but also some very tasteful, even conservative, models. There's something for everyone, really.

I've had these light tan Goodyear line shoes for years but haven't worn them. I was always 'saving' them.

If anyone wants them, I could sell them. Size 8.5 (so around a UK9).

Attachments

• 20200602_195739(0).jpg
    20200602_195739(0).jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 179
  • 20200602_195746.jpg
    20200602_195746.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 224

cdacosta

Reaction score
During this Covid-19 stay at home I am learning how to hand antique shoes. So for practice I took some of the Santoni I have that are 10+ years old and used them for antiquing practice. The wholecut pair is all factory. The black penny loafers I used for practice using the Olga Berluti polishing technique. I have probably 12-13 pairs of Santoni shoes but never took pics. FWIW I like the way blake construction feels vs Goodyear construction. I install Vibram half soles on all my leather soled dress shoes and with a huge rotation all shoes last a long time.
Santoni Oxford 1.jpg
Santoni Oxford 2.jpg
Santoni Wholecut.jpg
santoni-penny-loafer-jpg.1420193
Santoni Loafer.jpg

Attachments

• Santoni Penny Loafer.jpg
    Santoni Penny Loafer.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 527

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
During this Covid-19 stay at home I am learning how to hand antique shoes. So for practice I took some of the Santoni I have that are 10+ years old and used them for antiquing practice. The wholecut pair is all factory. The black penny loafers I used for practice using the Olga Berluti polishing technique. I have probably 12-13 pairs of Santoni shoes but never took pics. FWIW I like the way blake construction feels vs Goodyear construction. I install Vibram half soles on all my leather soled dress shoes and with a huge rotation all shoes last a long time.
View attachment 1420190 View attachment 1420191 View attachment 1420192
santoni-penny-loafer-jpg.1420193
View attachment 1420194

you did well! I really like the brown loafers pictured last.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads