• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some of the boots didn't even have real welting :hide:

neonrider

Reaction score
why would you want to compare sl to vass, if you want boring office shoes to flaunt, then go buy them. i don't mean that in a mean way, but let's face it, no one's wearing wyatt boots and an L01 to the boardroom. except maybe me and therattler.

if "quality" means "an old white guy making stuff especially for me because i need to feel powerful" then you'll never find what you're looking for here. if on the other hand quality means "something perfectly designed for people who grew up never wanting to be the first kind of person" then you might.

quality isn't necessarily subjective, but the qualities that we prize in sl are often exactly the opposite of those prized in say the alden thread. i could care less if some old fart is hand stitching my boots. quality for me is design, intention, purity, rebellion, freedom from these stifling values of middle managers and their office shoes which together, if done correctly, should add up to a big **** you factor to people that think quality is the old fart hand stitching boots, whether's he mr vass or suicidal goth ninja poell or whomever. that's the luxury of not giving a ****, which is the best kind of luxury, comfort, effortlessness, really.

so i think maybe you need to step back and think, reflect, mostly we like this stuff because it does all of that, not really so we can flaunt it.

maybe you get my drift, maybe not.

man the new vaccarello designs rolling in here and there are bad.

Last edited:

b19pen15

Reaction score
why would you want to compare sl to vass, if you want boring office shoes to flaunt, then go buy them. i don't mean that in a mean way, but let's face it, no one's wearing wyatt boots and an L01 to the boardroom. except maybe me and therattler.

if "quality" means "an old white guy making stuff especially for me because i need to feel powerful" then you'll never find what you're looking for here. if on the other hand quality means "something perfectly designed for people who grew up never wanting to be the first kind of person" then you might.

quality isn't necessarily subjective, but the qualities that we prize in sl are often exactly the opposite of those prized in say the alden thread. i could care less if some old fart is hand stitching my boots. quality for me is design, intention, purity, rebellion, freedom from these stifling values of middle managers and their office shoes which together, if done correctly, should add up to a big **** you factor to people that think quality is the old fart hand stitching boots, whether's he mr vass or suicidal goth ninja poell or whomever. that's the luxury of not giving a ****, which is the best kind of luxury, comfort, effortlessness, really.

so i think maybe you need to step back and think, reflect, mostly we like this stuff because it does all of that, not really so we can flaunt it.

I'd imagine when most people talk about quality of clothing they're talking about the quality of material and construction-- as in a well-made. Aging well and lasting long. The things you list could be considered qualities as in features and attributes, but not quality as in caliber of construction (which can be achieved without the specific scenario of an old white guy hand stitching something). You can be a rebel while not wanting to buy cheap and poorly made things (and I personally think Saint Laurent does generally have a focus on quality).

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Material and construction in most fashion items is pretty ****. That's ok - I would hope that most buy while knowing this. If they pass a minimum threshold and I truly like the item I'll buy. YMMV.

ktown

Reaction score
Well I just bought something on grailed - a classic black blazer. We'll see how it turns out. I like the wyatt boots and might get those later.

I've been looking for a while for a black sportcoat to wear with jeans and chelseas on a night out. I have bespoke suits and sportcoats and while they look great, they don't achieve the super slim look I want when I wear jeans. And I don't want to go to one of those tailors to make something, because they are "old" guys and don't get it - armholes too low, too much shoulder padding, not enough waist suppression, etc.

@neonrider Not sure if you were directing your angst to me...where did I compare Vass to SLP? I asked a basic question. What's the quality like? I told you what I'm used to buying, and that I like the look of SLP for streetwear.

Last edited:

b19pen15

Reaction score
Material and construction in most fashion items is pretty ****.
True. I should have specified Saint Laurent seems to care more about quality compared to other fashion brands, though some would maybe consider even that a stretch. Let's just say there's room for them to care less.

Last edited:

ASAPRice

Reaction score
@somethingfishy what's wrong with wearing the same biker jacket in 10 years
Not everybody is just going to trend hop

therattler

Reaction score

this. often people confuse quality with utility around here. I'm with neon, the qualities that i value in SLP are those he mentioned. utility, to a much lesser degree. if you want a biker thats going to last forever you don't get a luxury lambskin l01 to wear everyday. it will inevitably wear out, especially because it is such a slim cut it'll wear out in the arm pits etc. similarly w/r/t boots. the luxury materials and design come at a cost to utility. but this stuff isn't made for everyone.

those distressed wyatts are terrible. @neonrider can you elaborate on the vaccarello items you've seen?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads