• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You seem like you're kinda new to this... I think you should start with something a little simpler than silver boots and a bright blue varsity. The white sneakers and a black jacket would be a good bet.

Lurk around the WAYWT thread for a bit maybe.

AlexanderTG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You seem like you're kinda new to this... I think you should start with something a little simpler than silver boots and a bright blue varsity.  The white sneakers and a black jacket would be a good bet.

I realize this isn't the WAYW thread. I wouldn't have posted the pics except Colabear had asked.

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize this isn't the WAYW thread. I wouldn't have posted the pics except Colabear had asked.

Oh, I missed that.

To answer your question, I have a cobbler put a vibram rubber topy on most of my shoes. It's far easier to replace the $30 topy than to replace the whole sole.

That said, silver boots are something you might only wear once in awhile, so unless you plan on wearing them a lot maybe don't bother.

AlexanderTG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You seem like you're kinda new to this... I think you should start with something a little simpler than silver boots and a bright blue varsity.  The white sneakers and a black jacket would be a good bet.

I apologize if this is off topic for the SLP thread but I feel I must at least just say that this outfit in question isn't exactly for everyday wear. I bought the jacket and boots to try to ramp up the clothes I own to play music with onstage. My normal street wear would be a pair of MMM replicas (maroon or blue), navy Rag and Bone cords, a navy and white striped APC crew neck sweater and French Trotters tweed overcoat.

The silver boots probably won't see much life offstage but the teddy just might.

I realize I am opening up myself to scorn by posting this but I'll take that chance.

AlexanderTG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh, I missed that.

To answer your question, I have a cobbler put a vibram rubber topy on most of my shoes.  It's far easier to replace the $30 topy than to replace the whole sole.

That said, silver boots are something you might only wear once in awhile, so unless you plan on wearing them a lot maybe don't bother.

Thanks for the info on the boots. The soles seem very soft. I am new to boots and shoes with leather soles but, yeah, I probably won't wear them enough outside to need the protection.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's always a good idea to add some sole protection to shoes with leather soles. Replacing a rubber sole is a lot cheaper and easier than resoling so you also don't have to worry about finding a really good cobbler.

Go ahead and wear them for a few months though. If you bring new shoes to be topyed/vibrammed a (good) cobbler is going to sand them down anyways.

AlexanderTG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's always a good idea to add some sole protection to shoes with leather soles. Replacing a rubber sole is a lot cheaper and easier than resoling so you also don't have to worry about finding a really good cobbler.

Go ahead and wear them for a few months though. If you bring new shoes to be topyed/vibrammed a (good) cobbler is going to sand them down anyways.

Thanks. Yeah, we have an excellent cobbler nearby. I'll bring them in and see what he says. I've only worn them around the house and they're pretty pocked already.

Thatsteez

Reaction score
Quick poll, how many people apply the rubber sole to their boots? I get their purpose and have been considering applying them to my pair, but am I the only one who feels that they slightly diminish the elegance of the boots?

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he was more talking about getting the shoes topy than having the entire sole replaced with rubber. The topy layer is so thin, it shouldn't be noticeable.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't touch 'em man, if you're only wearing them on stage you want to beat them up a bit. It's not rock n' roll to have rubber soles. E.g., the Beatles had rubber soles, the Stones, no.

Bussit

Reaction score
Are y'all talking about getting the soles topy'd/rubbersoled as preventative care (i.e. straight up replacing the barely worn/new leather sole with rubber), replacing worn down soles, or both?

AlexanderTG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Are y'all talking about getting the soles topy'd/rubbersoled as preventative care (i.e. straight up replacing the barely worn/new leather sole with rubber), replacing worn down soles, or both?

I was mainly asking if there was something to put on the leather soles to just add some protection from the cement, rocks, et al. I've not had much experience with the sort of soft leather soles that the SLP boots have. So I'm open to suggestions but I think right now I'm just going to let them alone and deal with the wear and tear. We, luckily, have a wonderful cobbler in my town so if I need to have them touched up at some point I will have that option.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads