• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

saw chromatics last sunday. They were sooo good. More uptempo live. Would have loved to see glass candy/after dark crew on tour.

Glass Candy was killer in Baltimore awhile back. One of my fave live shows from the last few years.

aether

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
been wanting a sandal so I can work on that tan while I hike, run, and do other "active" stuff

286884_366_45.jpg

Guy Burgess

Reaction score

Glass Candy was killer in Baltimore awhile back. One of my fave live shows from the last few years.

Chromatics are coming here in November! They're playing a day festival thing, which I'd rather not go to but am probably going to buy a ticket just to see them. I hope they play a side show whilst they're here. So excited!

TWorksheets

Reaction score
I really don't want to send this thread into philosophy/book talk territory, but I have to know:

Are all you guys talking about the XX and Chromatics mainly into electronic music? What do you like about those bands?

I always try to stay abreast of the indie band scene (ugh), but those two bands in particular make no sense to me. I find every song from the XX just sounds like a guy or girl singing saccharine lyrics out of tune with a drum machine. And Chromatics (which admittedly I have only heard 3 or 4 tracks from) sounds boring and like a watered down version of the same electro pop stuff we've been hearing for years.

I generally don't enjoy the more electronic (I'm generalizing here) side of things, but I'm familiar with coming across those types of bands and thinking, "This is interesting, but it's just not my tastes". With the XX and Chromatics it's a bit different though because they receive so much praise and I can find nothing redeeming or interesting about their music.

artishard116

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For next Thursday?! Am going to try to catch the house of vans free show that day for washed out, chairlift and lemonade. Will see the xx in October.

yeah, that would be the smart thing to do. only splurged on the tix cause it happens to fall right around the gf's birthday and she's really into them. washed out would be fun I bet. gonna try to make it to a couple of those vans shows.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you seen the video for Crystalised? It's what first got me excited about the xx. Spare, low key, pumped full of nyquil, yet still has a quiet energy about it which is pretty sweet.

I can't really defend Chromatics, though. I dig their synth textures, but the trite lyrics and uncharismatic/dispassionate delivery absolutely bring it down.

Last edited:

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The xx is awesome hipster baby makin' music. It's the perfect album to take off a girls' urban outfitters sundress dress to*

I love the xx's albums but have heard they're really boring live. My friend actually fell asleep during their set. Granted, he was really stoned, but still/

*that was awkwardly phrased; insert your own intersection of subculture/sexuality there.

Last edited:

KingJulien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really don't want to send this thread into philosophy/book talk territory, but I have to know:
Are all you guys talking about the XX and Chromatics mainly into electronic music? What do you like about those bands?
I always try to stay abreast of the indie band scene (ugh), but those two bands in particular make no sense to me. I find every song from the XX just sounds like a guy or girl singing saccharine lyrics out of tune with a drum machine. And Chromatics (which admittedly I have only heard 3 or 4 tracks from) sounds boring and like a watered down version of the same electro pop stuff we've been hearing for years.
I generally don't enjoy the more electronic (I'm generalizing here) side of things, but I'm familiar with coming across those types of bands and thinking, "This is interesting, but it's just not my tastes". With the XX and Chromatics it's a bit different though because they receive so much praise and I can find nothing redeeming or interesting about their music.

The XX just makes rock music with non-traditional instruments, but it's still mostly rock music (I think, I haven't listened to anything they've released in about two years). As opposed to groups like LCD soundsystem or MGMT who are clearly dance influenced. They aren't that much different from other indie bands even though they're producing some of their **** in ableton instead of a studio.

IIRC the XX has interesting rhythm structures and good vocals, which is pretty much all you're looking for in an indie band?

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They make very sparse depressing sex songs that make great use of negative space. I love them.

The xx is awesome hipster baby makin' music. It's the perfect album to take off a girls' urban outfitters sundress dress to*
I love the xx's albums but have heard they're really boring live. My friend actually fell asleep during their set. Granted, he was really stoned, but still/
*that was awkwardly phrased; insert your own intersection of subculture/sexuality there.

Please send me all their other albums besides their self-titled

mellowfellow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Remember 2007? "Nu rave", "blog house" and indie dance rock bands like klaxons, digitalism, justice/ed banger got hype online. I was never into that type of sound. Then after dark compilation from italian do it better came out and it was totally different. The music was slower and dreamy, italo disco revival. I love that stuff and it's not boring to me. Boring is bon iver :embar: lol.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads