• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reading thread

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I loved Oscar wao. After you should read This is how you lose her.

Just started the Yiddish policeman's union and I'm enjoying it immensely. This thread really is in line with my tastes :D

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I loved Oscar wao. After you should read This is how you lose her.

Just started the Yiddish policeman's union and I'm enjoying it immensely. This thread really is in line with my tastes
biggrin.gif

Yes.

Portland Dry Goods

Reaction score
Starting the Wizard & The Glass (or the fourth installment of the Dark Tower series, for those more familliar with numbers than names).

Also picked up this gem which is begging me to revisit an old favorite:

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's some thoughts I have about 'Rainbows End', which I finished earlier in the week: a novel about a former poet (Robert) who suffers from alzeihmer's disease. A cure is invented and he is restored - but he now has to try and navigate a world he barely understands that doesn't care about his art, his reputation or his value.

Unfortunately, this excellent premise for a story is muddled up by an overbearing, somewhat ridiculous doomsday scenario involving intelligence services, ghost-in-the-shell type personality manipulation and general bullshit. I am thoroughly pissed off that what promised (and started) as an amazing book with near infinite potential to genuinely create something beautiful turned into a schizophrenic mess of plot holes, tangents, sloppy characters and dis-interesting technological bollocks.

This writing just isn't grown up enough for his own thematic genius.

Frown. Town.

ManofKent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Standing in Another Man's Grave - Ian Rankin

Not his best Rebus novel, but I'm glad he's brought him out of retirement. The Fox books weren't bad, but Rebus is a much stronger character.

feinschmecker

Reaction score
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/22/12b3.jpg/

Paris in the 1920s – dizzy and decadent. Where a young man can make a fortune with his wits … unless he is led into temptation. Cocaine’s dandified hero Tito Arnaudi invents lurid scandals and gruesome deaths, and sells these stories to the newspapers. But his own life becomes even more outrageous than his press reports when he acquires three demanding mistresses. Elegant, witty and wicked, Pitigrilli’s classic novel was first published in Italian in 1921 and charts the comedy and tragedy of a young man’s downfall and the lure of a bygone era. The novel’s descriptions of sex and drug use prompted church authorities to place it on a list of forbidden books, while appealing to filmmaker Rainer Werner Fassbinder who wrote a script based on the tale. Cocaine retains its venom even today.

newvesselpress.com/books/cocaine/

feinschmecker

Reaction score

Here's a great novel that's been out of print for some time:

Paris in the 1920s – dizzy and decadent. Where a young man can make a fortune with his wits … unless he is led into temptation. Cocaine’s dandified hero Tito Arnaudi invents lurid scandals and gruesome deaths, and sells these stories to the newspapers. But his own life becomes even more outrageous than his press reports when he acquires three demanding mistresses. Elegant, witty and wicked, Pitigrilli’s classic novel was first published in Italian in 1921 and charts the comedy and tragedy of a young man’s downfall and the lure of a bygone era. The novel’s descriptions of sex and drug use prompted church authorities to place it on a list of forbidden books, while appealing to filmmaker Rainer Werner Fassbinder who wrote a script based on the tale. Cocaine retains its venom even today.

newvesselpress.com/books/cocaine/

kashmir

Reaction score
finally... finished The Great Gatsby. really... why do people insist on adapting this book into cinema format...?

mer6

Reaction score
Snow Crash was great.

I'm a hundred pages in and it's halted my progress A Storm of Swords. They're both fantastic (but everyone seems to be in agreeal that the ASOIAF books are great and they're so popular right now that they don't need another testimonial).

Anyways, it's incredible to see how Stephenson has portrayed technology in his dystopian future compared to how it is (it was published in 1993 for reference). I chuckled a little when there was some character salivation about screens that were 2k pixels wide. That's roughly the standard now.

Last edited:

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stephenson is great. Diamond Age was highly entertaining, as was Cryptonomicon (but it's HUGE).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads