• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rate These Potential Buys (Shoes, Outerwear, and Hats)

H.B.O.

Reaction score
Are you looking for specific recommendations? If so, you should order the Iron Heart Slim Jeans at the end of the week and post a ton of pics.

Iron Heart Slim Jeans = Instant Rockstar Status. Straight up.

Clover216

Reaction score
So how is this list looking for a basis to a wardrobe?

Shoes (2):
Vans Authenticâ„¢ Core Classics (White)- $42
Sperry Top-Sider Striper Laceless CVO (Navy)- $60

Tops (6):
Tees (3):
Old Navy Men's Classic Tees x 3 (Black, Cabot Cove, Dark Sea Blue)- $21
Long-Sleeve Tees (3):
Old Navy Men's Classic Long-Sleeve Tees x 3 (Dark Sea Blue, White, Heather Grey)- $30

Bottoms (6):
Jeans (1):
Levi Slim Straight 514 Jeans (Overhaul)- $60
Pants (2):
The Gap Original Khaki x 2 (Drill Khaki, Olive)- $89
Shorts (3):
The Gap Original Shorts x 3 (Chino Concrete, Chino Cave, Chino Nut)- $110

Sweatshirts/Sweaters (3):
Hoodies (2):
Old Navy Men's Double-Knit Pique Hoodies x 2 (Bright White, Deep Sea Blue)- $30
Sweaters (1):
Cherokee Sweater (Olive)- $15

Total: $457

Remember, this is only the foundation. I could probably put together simple outfits every day of the school week with this clothing, but I'm planning on adding more expensive and more stylish items as time goes on. For example, right now I'm toying with the idea of getting a more expensive pair of jeans (APC, Nudie, etc.), adding a military blazer, and adding a pair of boat shoes. But before I do any of that, I want confirmation that this is a good basis for my wardrobe.

Thanks.

Clover216

Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
lose 2 pairs of shorts and upgrade your jeans

How in the world can you guys make it through summer with one pair of shorts? How about I keep the three pairs of shorts and just add a nicer pair of jeans. Deal?

Clover216

Reaction score
After reading this thread, I was just wondering how well you guys think this clothing would be accepted at high school. I am a senior and I'm pretty comfortable doing what I feel like doing in my school, but at the same time I don't want to come across as a douche or someone who is trying too hard to look good. Just for reference, as of right now the nicest outfit I could put together using what I'm buying is probably a t-shirt, sweater, khakis, and the Sperry Top-Siders. That isn't too over-the-top, is it?

Thanks.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clover216
How in the world can you guys make it through summer with one pair of shorts? How about I keep the three pairs of shorts and just add a nicer pair of jeans. Deal?

I survive with 0 pairs. Men, as a rule, have legs that should not be seen. Call me old-fashioned, but I do what the Bible tells me.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have one pair of shorts, from A.P.C, i don't wear them too much, you really need to have the right pair to pull them off stylishly.

Robert

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
I survive with 0 pairs. Men, as a rule, have legs that should not be seen. Call me old-fashioned, but I do what the Bible tells me.

Ha ha. Same here. Shorts have always felt wrong to me. I wear them rarely, only when it's absolutely sweltering and I won't be in a/c, or where they're appropriate, like the beach.

For warm weather, instead of jeans, try light-weight khakis.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lose everything except the sperrys. get some apcs. get some hanes. if it gets hot cuff your jeans. and save up for better ****.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clover216
Am I the only one here who wears shorts?
Aside from swimming stuff, I have literally one pair, and they're Alexander McQueen. For reference I have probably about 10 of everything else you could conceive of. Finding shorts that look good is something of a task. This is all going to be an exercise in looking average, as it stands.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's hard to look cool in shorts.

But it's just as hard to look cool overheating during an eight-month Texas summer, so...

Clover216

Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
lose everything except the sperrys. get some apcs. get some hanes. if it gets hot cuff your jeans. and save up for better ****.

I don't get how everyone keeps suggesting this. Do you guys really think that it would be a reasonable for a high school kid to have a wardrobe that only consists of a really nice pair of jeans and some plain white t-shirts, adding a couple expensive items as time goes on? Personally, I would rather have a variety of clothes with different styles and colors from Gap than that, but maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. I don't know, I guess for me to understand I need to know what this "better ****" you're talking about is. Once again, I'm in high school right now, and it's not really my style to wear suits to school. At most I might wear a button up dress shirt with some jeans or a polo with some khakis.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Yes, I think that would be reasonable, to be honest. You'd be weaering pretty much the same thing every day until you get a jacket, a hoodie, etc, but it would look better. If you try to divide it up like you're doing it'll just end up being a bunch of stuff that looks really average and you might as well not even put in the effort at all. Either that or you'll replace it all anyway, and that's a waste. Getting at least one pair of good jeans is pretty necessary.

Almost no one here wears suits regularly. Even Get Smart doesn't seem to and he runs a MTM suit company.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads