• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rate These Potential Buys (Shoes, Outerwear, and Hats)

Clover216

Reaction score
I don't know, I've never really worn a belt with jeans except when it was necessary. Anyone else want to weigh in on wearing belts with casual jeans?

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Usually you don't tuck things into jeans so as long as they're sitting in the right place all is well. If you need a belt to accomplish that, use one. I normally wear a belt, but you normally couldn't tell.

Try on the jeans next time you're in Boston or wherever. If I didn't know what exact thigh, knee, hem, rise etc I wanted on jeans I wouldn't buy them online, could too easily be a waste of money.

Clover216

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
Usually you don't tuck things into jeans so as long as they're sitting in the right place all is well. If you need a belt to accomplish that, use one. I normally wear a belt, but you normally couldn't tell.

Try on the jeans next time you're in Boston or wherever. If I didn't know what exact thigh, knee, hem, rise etc I wanted on jeans I wouldn't buy them online, could too easily be a waste of money.

I don't know, I'm not really planning on going down to Boston anytime soon. Actually, I was just in Boston last weekend, too bad I didn't know all this back then...
Anyways, I think it might even be faster to just order a pair based on a fitting guide and others recommendations and if they don't fit return them for a better pair.

Clover216

Reaction score
Alright, so I think I've decided on just spending this week on filling any gaps in my current wardrobe in terms of basics, and then moving on to bigger and better stuff.

Regarding bigger and better stuff, I'm leaning towards the following...

Spring Court B1 Mid Cut White Shoes:
photolarge20661.jpg
photolarge20663.jpg

Nudie Slim Jim in Dry Black Stretch:
6A76CDE63A.jpg
4EF8AA4892.jpg

Ben Sherman V Neck Wool Sweater:
8835-793695-p.jpg
8835-793695-2.jpg

One question I have is if I would have to be careful what color t-shirt I wear under a v-neck sweater. Should I try to coordinate the colors or does it not really matter?

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
navy and black is a weird combo, you sure you don't want BLUE jeans as your first good pair?

Clover216

Reaction score
Originally Posted by constant struggle
navy and black is a weird combo, you sure you don't want BLUE jeans as your first good pair?

Hmm, I heard black jeans were the most versatile. I already have a pair of blue jeans that aren't SF approved, but look alright for the rest of the world:

3296507338_c3e50018d2_m.jpg
3296507366_0a29d9af68_m.jpg
3296507390_2f25fbdb54_m.jpg
3296507416_262f103dee_m.jpg

Anyways, I'll take your word about navy not going with black. What colors should I be looking for? Again, I'm trying to have this go with jeans (black and blue), khakis (normal light, concrete color), white shoes, and navy shoes (maybe I shouldn't get navy?). I have fairly pale skin (as you can see in the picture) and dark brown hair. Any suggestions for the most versatile color. Orange? Green?

aqhong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Clover216
So should I just go ahead and buy offline?
Just to avoid potential confusion in the future, I think the word you're looking for is online.

Clover216

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aqhong
Just to avoid potential confusion in the future, I think the word you're looking for is online.

Whoops. Thanks for pointing that out.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Dressed by the internet ftw!

Honestly the dry blacks don't differ substantially from a lot of indigo out there, I think that's the best list you've put together so far. Slim jim dry japan might be better but are slightly different in sizing than the SJDBS. The problem is that not everyone looks good in the SJ cut, even if they ARE sized right (I find nudie pretty easy to size, which would partially explain the mass appeal). I still say you need to try **** on.

Clover216

Reaction score
Dressed by the internet ftw!

And proud of it.

Honestly the dry blacks don't differ substantially from a lot of indigo out there, I think that's the best list you've put together so far. Slim jim dry japan might be better but are slightly different in sizing than the SJDBS. The problem is that not everyone looks good in the SJ cut, even if they ARE sized right (I find nudie pretty easy to size, which would partially explain the mass appeal). I still say you need to try **** on.

Yeah, I wish I could try the jeans on, but living in Maine, being in high school, and not having my own car makes it pretty damn hard.

Actually, now that I think about it I'm going to be going down to Long Island with my parents to visit a college in a couple weeks. Maybe I should just wait till then to buy all this stuff in stores. Not only will I be down near New York, but I'll be passing through Boston on the way back. Worth the wait?

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
Yes. During that time you can do some research on what you want to try and where you should go. On your budget blue in green might be out of your range, otherwise I'd say go there for sure... maybe you should anyway just to check out stuff. Come to think of it this is a good idea... if you find something that fits there you can write down what it is, and they should have accurate measurements for it on the website. Using those you can figure out how just about any jeans will fit.

Clover216

Reaction score
Yes. During that time you can do some research on what you want to try and where you should go. On your budget blue in green might be out of your range, otherwise I'd say go there for sure... maybe you should anyway just to check out stuff. Come to think of it this is a good idea... if you find something that fits there you can write down what it is, and they should have accurate measurements for it on the website. Using those you can figure out how just about any jeans will fit.

I'll try and check it out. I've got two or three weeks to plan what places I'm gonna hit up/what I'm gonna buy. Should be a fun experience, the only clothes shopping I've ever done is my mom dragging me to Kohls and choosing some clearance stuff for me. Do you think I should hold off buying online for my other big purchases and try them on, too?

Clover216

Reaction score
Jeans are the most important thing... trying anything on first is obviously better. But getting the right jean cut is harder than getting a t shirt or a sweater or shoes in the right size.
Alright, that's good to know. However, I might just wait anyways because I'm not down in New York City everyday, you know, and I'm gonna try and take advantage of the opportunity.

Shirts are a whole other ball game.
Yeah, I figured.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads