• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random health and exercise thoughts

fuji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ham hucks are delicious,fairly cheap and a good source of protein. Eat them. I think its pretty much just a pork shoulder that was mad into ham. Been eating so much, either with eggs or on a roll with swiss cheese and mustard.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ham hucks are delicious,fairly cheap and a good source of protein. Eat them. I think its pretty much just a pork shoulder that was mad into ham. Been eating so much, either with eggs or on a roll with swiss cheese and mustard.

I used to get ham hocks for £1.80 each from the butchers at the top of the road when I was a student. Pea and ham soup with the stock left over from the previous bowl :slayer:

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unless you have problems with hypertension, it really doesn't matter. The only thing a young, healthy guy with normal blood pressure might experience is some fluid retention. This is easy to take care of -- just up your water intake in proportion to how much salt you're eating and it'll prevent the water from being retained.
The only time I really focus on minimizing salt is if I know I'm going to the beach on Saturday I stop eating salty food on Thursday and drink a shitload of water.

I've heard if you take a diuretic the day before you flush a lot of it out of your system.

And hey, the ociean is full of piss anyawy.

Lagrangian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
like you guys talking bout lasix or some ****?

I concur the ocean is full of piss, ******* piss oceans nowadays.

Last edited:

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've heard if you take a diuretic the day before you flush a lot of it out of your system.

I contributed my part last time I was there.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't remember the last time I went in the sea. Or even saw it other than from a plane.

Fang66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TeeKay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

True, but you gotta be careful with those. I notice a huge difference in definition just by increasing my water + potassium intake.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The guys not paying attention to sodium intake must not easily hold water. To quote John from IA, "I gain five pounds just by walking past a salt shaker."

I cook most of my food, so it's not really an issue. But I hold water easily and too much sodium creates a marked difference in body comp for me. I do the whole gallon of green tea + couple doses of dandelion root deal, and of course, keep an eye on how much sodium I take in a day.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I generally find it worth my time to avoid salted meats as I don't eat it in moderation. I never have chicken and ham and steak through the day. If I have a ham, I eat a lot of ham, which gets into multiple grams of salt. I was eating one around the holidays and I felt I couldn't drink enough water to feel normal. Not buying any more 10 lb hams. Generally, processed foods are responsible for America's over consumption of salt and not the paltry grains you might shake on something.

theecaptain

Reaction score
The guys not paying attention to sodium intake must not easily hold water. To quote John from IA, "I gain five pounds just by walking past a salt shaker."
I cook most of my food, so it's not really an issue. But I hold water easily and too much sodium creates a marked difference in body comp for me. I do the whole gallon of green tea + couple doses of dandelion root deal, and of course, keep an eye on how much sodium I take in a day.

I think its more about not caring. I have a little gut anyway so no visible abs for me. I just embrace it - eat a lot and drink a lot of water. Right now I'm more focused on building strength than definition so holding a few extra pounds of water isn't a big deal as long as I get plenty of food.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I generally find it worth my time to avoid salted meats as I don't eat it in moderation. I never have chicken and ham and steak through the day. If I have a ham, I eat a lot of ham, which gets into multiple grams of salt. I was eating one around the holidays and I felt I couldn't drink enough water to feel normal. Not buying any more 10 lb hams. Generally, processed foods are responsible for America's over consumption of salt and not the paltry grains you might shake on something.

I had a 3 piece KFC meal the other day, fairly small portion of chips and a Coke and 1100 calories gave me over 1.5g of sodium. I don't know if its higher over there, I imagine there would be more chips though.

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks guys, sounds like pretty consistent feedback. Will drop the weight and build back up. This was the advice in the SS wiki as well.

Deloaded back down to 85lbs and built up OHP over the last month. Finally got back up 110lbs (where I stalled out continuously) and nailed it for 3 x 5 fairly easily. Good advice.

theecaptain

Reaction score
Deloaded back down to 85lbs and built up OHP over the last month. Finally got back up 110lbs (where I stalled out continuously) and nailed it for 3 x 5 fairly easily. Good advice.

good work keep it up. i got a pair of 1.25 lbs plates that have been very helpful for ohp.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads