• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random Food Questions Thread

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ChicagoRon
Is there a decent place in China Town in Las Vegas?
Way to go and rain on the parade Ron edit: somebody needs to start a Cooks Illustrated Parody thread.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
i guess the fact that i can't tell says everything that needs to be said. i reviewed the first cooks illustrated cookbook for saveur years ago. colman andrews still says one of his favorite lines ever was when i was talking about their technique for roasting a chicken and i wrote something like "at a certain point, you want to grab him around the throat and say 'for chrissake Chris, it's just a roast chicken!'"

Andrews' books are great--unlike those OCD CI recipes.

Saveur has the worst, most obnoxious sales team ever. They basically called to say I was renewing for three years and wouldn't take no for an answer. I hung up in disgust.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, colman's been gone from saveur for years. i do like the magazine under it's current editor James Oseland, but the publishing company is pretty obnoxious. they basically specialize in boating magazines and somehow bought up this food mag.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, colman's been gone from saveur for years. i do like the magazine under it's current editor James Oseland, but the publishing company is pretty obnoxious. they basically specialize in boating magazines and somehow bought up this food mag.

Gourmet was my favorite monthly food Appreciation. RIP. Saveur is OK in the post-Colman era.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
the new issue of saveur has some fantastic sounding recipes. planning a sicilian dinner around it with a friend.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
there has never been a perfect food magazine (or newspaper section), and there probably never will be. i guess if i had to make one up off the top of my head, it would have cook's illustrated's passion for nuts and bolts cooking, colman-era saveur's curiosity (and, of course, christopher hirsheimer's amazing photos), and gourmet's literacy (and budget).

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what's the deal with burrata cheese? Is it basically just a creamier mozzarella? What's so special about it, and what can it do that regular ol' mozzarella can't?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it's different than mozzarella ... it's basically a mozzarella skin wrapped around shreds of mozzarella and cream. ithas a really milky, creamy quality to it. that's when it's made well and served fresh ... since it's become popular, there's a lot that's not all that different than mozzarella. sometimes i feel like i'm getting tiresome, so just let me know if this constant self-linking is getting irritating. but here.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
it's different than mozzarella ... it's basically a mozzarella skin wrapped around shreds of mozzarella and cream. ithas a really milky, creamy quality to it. that's when it's made well and served fresh ... since it's become popular, there's a lot that's not all that different than mozzarella. sometimes i feel like i'm getting tiresome, so just let me know if this constant self-linking is getting irritating. but here.

It isn't irritating at all. To me, at least.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I really hate it when food professionals give me advice and recipes for free. Up yours, know-it-all.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks; great article.

I found this analogy helpful:

"Burrata is to mozzarella as foie gras is to chicken liver."

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
iknorite? stop linking these well written interesting articles to read. i dont appreciate great education

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please stop posting great information, recipes, and articles. Jerk.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
aaaah!
inlove.gif

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBBSTI LTD