• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The dreaded odd navy pants... revisited

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But I don't see anything wrong with tweed on tweed. Cashmere SC would be good with donegal too.

I could see cashmere or camel hair or some kind of soft solid, but I just think two hard-finished tweeds might not work for me. I haven't tried it, so of course I could be wrong, but the idea doesn't appeal in the same way that tweed/flannel or tweed/moleskin does. I guess if both tweeds were particularly refined, then it would work alright. The brown herringbone with the light gray donegal could be great, actually.

I wish I could go all flannel, but I think all moleskin would be more my speed.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But I don't see anything wrong with tweed on tweed. Cashmere SC would be good with donegal too.

+1. seems fine to me.

also, i think it depends how speckled a donegal you are working with. i have two pairs, but they are solid enough that they work with a lot of SCs. tweed included.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like linen odd trousers during the summer in several shades of blue (including navy), cream and tan. I never wear navy odd trousers in the fall / winter / spring.

emptym

Reaction score

I don't really understand why people want to wear worsted odd trousers. To have something in mid weight to wear year round? Because you want to get more use out of your suit pants? If you can afford to have a seasonal wardrobe, I see no reason to go beyond linen and cotton for summer, and flannel, donegal, and brushed cotton/moleskin for winter.

I think you're probably right about worsted. I have a few pairs that are probably worsted and I like them though. One's a semi-fresco in oxford gray that I only wear w/ a barong, and the other two are or resemble lightweight, worsted flannels, and those I wear w/ odd jackets.

To your list, I'd add fresco, corduroy, cavalry twill, and the aforementioned gabardine.

Regarding the OP, I had a pair of blue worsted pants made about 15 yrs ago and rarely wore them. Blue chinos from places like Carhartt and Ben Sherman certainly have their place in a casual/workman's wardrobe. I agree that linen is prob. the best candidate for CM wear. I have a pair as part of a suit, but I've never worn them w/ an odd jacket. Can't think of an odd jacket I wouldwear them w/... Maybe off-white cotton or linen or cotton/linen blend.

Last edited:

Geezer

Reaction score
I agree on navy linens or chinos sans jacket in summer. A strong and classic look.

I used to get a lot of wear out of a pair of navy chinos in spring/autumn with green or brown tweed odd jackets. Even if the shades were close, the difference of the colour and texture created sufficient contrast.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WEARING NAVY PENTS TODAY!!

Goodman

Reaction score
I'm also wearing navy pants today. Would report for re-education but that implies some form of previous education which apparently does not apply to me.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really understand why people want to wear worsted odd trousers. To have something in mid weight to wear year round? Because you want to get more use out of your suit pants? If you can afford to have a seasonal wardrobe, I see no reason to go beyond linen and cotton for summer, and flannel, donegal, and brushed cotton/moleskin for winter.
I guess because some people don't like cotton and linen's wrinkly nature. I wear worsted plain weave pants in summer sometimes.

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you See what InSee.

Those that don't like, probably still won't. I do.

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score
^Very nice. The Armoury guys often look great doing things I didn't think could or should be done.

Jrd, yeah, I think tropical wool pants would be nice.

Thinking over unbel's distaste for worsted pants, I was wondering how much of this could be traced to Michael Alden's internet-famous statement that a man could be elegantly dressed with just linen and fresco for the summer and flannel and tweed for the winter. I'm sure some of my initial sympathy for unbel's position can be traced to this.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
superb.

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online