• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random Food Questions Thread

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Joined
Nov 21, 2007
Messages
33,670
Reaction score
891
Maybe this will pick up and people will like it, maybe not. Either way, I just want an answer to my question.
Does Dean & Deluca sell foie by the slice/portion?
 

gomestar

Super Yelper
Joined
Oct 21, 2008
Messages
19,414
Reaction score
3,897
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Does Dean & Deluca sell foie by the slice/portion?

I believe so, but I can check sometime. It maybe be a day-to-day thing. I'm certain they sell by the can and usually have 5-8 different types of pate for sale by the slice.




random stupid food question: what is a good non-grill way to cook a sausage? I brought home some good stuff but I'm still not sure of the best way to cook it properly. And Pio's thread is too long.
 

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Joined
Nov 21, 2007
Messages
33,670
Reaction score
891
Thanks Gome. I know they sell whole lobes and they also sell torchon. I just need a slice or two though.

For sausage I usually brown the outside, warm enough to brown it but gentle enough to not break the casing, and then toss it in a low oven to finish. I've also heard of people browing the outside, then tossing a touch of water and a lid to steam it to finish, but IMO that makes the nice sear you got on it softer and less crisp, basically defeating the purpose of searing it int he first place. You could also simmer it in water until it's cooked through and then finish it on the stovetop.
 

gomestar

Super Yelper
Joined
Oct 21, 2008
Messages
19,414
Reaction score
3,897
will do with the sausage tonight, thanks.
 

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
10,155
Reaction score
1,237
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Maybe this will pick up and people will like it, maybe not. Either way, I just want an answer to my question.
Does Dean & Deluca sell foie by the slice/portion?


You're asking questions!? You should be answering questions!
 

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Joined
Nov 21, 2007
Messages
33,670
Reaction score
891
Pffft. I barely know how to cook, man. If you're looking for answers from me, you're going to need to ask questions that exist within a very small realm of knowledge.
 

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2007
Messages
4,475
Reaction score
44
Originally Posted by kwilkinson

For sausage I usually brown the outside, warm enough to brown it but gentle enough to not break the casing, and then toss it in a low oven to finish. I've also heard of people browing the outside, then tossing a touch of water and a lid to steam it to finish, but IMO that makes the nice sear you got on it softer and less crisp, basically defeating the purpose of searing it int he first place. You could also simmer it in water until it's cooked through and then finish it on the stovetop.


I don't know if it's the correct way or not but this works for me. I put a sausage in a pan on the stove and cover it with a clear (so I can see it) lid. I rotate it every so often so that the outside browns evenly, but the casing remains in tact. Tossing the lid on lets it cook to the desired temperature quicker.
 

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Joined
Nov 21, 2007
Messages
33,670
Reaction score
891
Who knows anything about Canadian foie and how it compares to Hudson Valley? And please don't even mention Sonoma foie. that shit is terrible.
 

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
10,155
Reaction score
1,237
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Who knows anything about Canadian foie and how it compares to Hudson Valley? And please don't even mention Sonoma foie. that shit is terrible.

Canadian foie? The answer is staring you right in the face w/ a big tatoo on its leg....

* p.s. I am confused w/ discussion of both foie and sausage.
Are you using them interchangably?
 

RedLantern

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2008
Messages
3,924
Reaction score
1,269
^ it suddenly struck me that it is only a matter of time before Pio starts making his own foie . . .
 

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
10,155
Reaction score
1,237
Originally Posted by RedLantern
^ it suddenly struck me that it is only a matter of time before Pio starts making his own foie . . .

i think he's working on his liver as we speak
 

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Joined
Nov 21, 2007
Messages
33,670
Reaction score
891
Originally Posted by romafan
Canadian foie? The answer is staring you right in the face w/ a big tatoo on its leg....

* p.s. I am confused w/ discussion of both foie and sausage.
Are you using them interchangably?


LOL No way. I'm not using sausage for anything. But it looks like Dean & Deluca's foie is Canadian, so I didn't know if it was worth the price or not.
 

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Mar 11, 2006
Messages
14,381
Reaction score
2,074
Originally Posted by gomestar
do you cover with water?
A good rule of thumb is three minutes over medium heat, turn and cook for three more. Then cover, turn the heat down and cook another three or so. That should get you close. Now you need to decide whether or not I know what the hell I'm talking about. Kyle- golden gate sells sliced fg, if you need it.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

  • I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

  • I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

  • I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

  • Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
438,532
Messages
9,451,183
Members
198,090
Latest member
overlag
Top