• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for the advice! i've visited sodermalm, where she lives, briefly before and it was beautiful.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

friend is trying to persuade me to come and visit her in stockholm, she keeps texting me with the local attractions- so far these include:
fika (cinnamon bread)
svenska flicka (swedish girls)
algkott (venison)
sns herning (via tres bien/nitty gritty)
svenssons :)

Tres Bien is in Malmø the same goes for Svenssons HQ, Welcome, C-store, Nitty gritty, NK are in STHLM.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

is wearing plain white dress shirt, navy/black/grey trousers and black derbys too formal without any kind of jacket (e.g. bomber)?

I mean like those fits w/o knits, jackets or coats. 

Derbies technically are casual, but you can tone down the formality of everything else just through your demeanor when you wear it. Keeping the fit on the aggressive side helps too.

Last edited:

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Anyone been to scarpetta nyc? A friend of mine told me to go and his friend will take care of me supposedly.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"$290 paper bag" is one of the "trending" topics on Yahoo right now. I'm not sure how I should feel that I didn't need to click it to know exactly what that was all about.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let's be fair though

Do you see any other stitched paper bag on the market?

Eat that, Duro

If you were hideous, wouldn't you want to cover your face with the finest of luxury bags?

Last edited:

conceptionist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
friend is trying to persuade me to come and visit her in stockholm, she keeps texting me with the local attractions- so far these include:
fika (cinnamon bread)
algkott (venison)
svenssons
smile.gif
You should def go.
Check out the area called "Söder" (South). Nitty Gritty is there and there's loads of good cafe's and small shops.
The Our Legacy stores and JUS is worth a visit as well. JUS carries Dries, MMM, CDG and Ann D (I think). COS is great for the price.
Acne, Hope, 5th Ave Shoe Repair has some cool styles despite being a bit overpriced in regards to quality.

narm60

Reaction score

is wearing plain white dress shirt, navy/black/grey trousers and black derbys too formal without any kind of jacket (e.g. bomber)?

You want to be careful w/ black trousers. You can end up looking like a waiter

green bastard

Reaction score

here in germany most universities don't even have a real campus
the university buildings are just spread all over the city
but studying here is pretty cheap i will go to university of tübingen from october on which is quite good by german standarts
, and i only have to pay about 100euro each semester

Don't you have to pay college tuitions (Studiengebühren) in Bawü?

conceptionist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I mean like those fits w/o knits, jackets or coats.
This is a good question.
I really like the look of a nice white dress shirt with clean cut dark pants but like you say, it can look a bit formal in some casual settings (class for instance). I think the key to not come acros as brat or too formally dressed business student is to play with proportions, cuts and going for nice details.

I usually wear a white small collared COS shirt with a pair of self cropped black Uniqlo pants. Looks pretty cool given the price. Other options are hidden placket, shirt being very long in the back, elongated rise on the trousers, stacks, cropped, etc...

The shoes play a big role of course. You probably shouldn't go for "menswear" derbies if you worry about looking too formal. A wedge sole derby or side zips is probably a wiser choice. Common Projects and Red Wing postman look good and are affordable.

djt00

Reaction score
This is a good question.
I really like the look of a nice white dress shirt with clean cut dark pants but like you say, it can look a bit formal in some casual settings (class for instance). I think the key to not come acros as brat or too formally dressed business student is to play with proportions, cuts and going for nice details.

I usually wear a white small collared COS shirt with a pair of self cropped black Uniqlo pants. Looks pretty cool given the price. Other options are hidden placket, shirt being very long in the back, elongated rise on the trousers, stacks, cropped, etc...

The shoes play a big role of course. You probably shouldn't go for "menswear" derbies if you worry about looking too formal. A wedge sole derby or side zips is probably a wiser choice. Common Projects and Red Wing postman look good and are affordable.

Thanks, I definitely got know what you meant. I'd wear white placket shirts, elasticated waist cotton or wool trousers and black derbys or boots all days, but sometimes I feel w/o knit or bomber it would be just too formal looking for class or office job for example. Even when I do know that my clothes aren't regular menswear. They're more like jil, dries, cos kind of clothes and I'd never wear ties and such. Maybe I'd need start wearing more playful sneakers? to me derbys and boots are too cool to be forgotten lol

Last edited:

djt00

Reaction score
also i don't think there's problem wearing that kind of clothes when going clubs...

Last edited:

conceptionist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah, of course it is better suited for going out than say school or typical desk job.
Sneakers will sure make it more casual but then you also need to tone down the formality on the shirt and trousers to avoid clashing or just looking sloppy.

I would def wear sneakers with cropped trousers (snowmanxl had a good fit of this a while back) but maybe not with pressed front, full length wool trousers.

If you like dress shirts, you probably like white long sleeve tee's as well. I had never owned one until recently simply because it's something I thought I wouldn't wear much. Saw some fits here and found a nice one. Turned out to be a great purchase. Try to get one with a scooped neckline and slightly longer in the body and it will be surprisingly elegant and versatile.

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fika (cinnamon bread)
algkott (venison)
svenssons :)

is this who i think it is? :D
you should go!!

Thanks, I definitely got know what you meant. I'd wear white placket shirts, elasticated waist cotton or wool trousers and black derbys or boots all days, but sometimes I feel w/o knit or bomber it would be just too formal looking for class or office job for example. Even when I do know that my clothes aren't regular menswear. They're more like jil, dries, cos kind of clothes and I'd never wear ties and such. Maybe I'd need start wearing more playful sneakers? to me derbys and boots are too cool to be forgotten lol

i think by putting on an ocbd over a white poplin shirt it makes the outfit 10X less formal and you can prob get away with it without outerwear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads