• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GraphicNovelty
I actually think you'd do well to add some streetwear influences to your look.

(after reading westside's posts/browsing sufu, I think this is true about most of the younger members here, actually. I'm realizing i'm not to old to so and might go out and buy a fitted to hypebeast-match with my new MMMs. Of course, it's totally not SF approved, would be something i'd have a lot of fun wearing)

yeah that's what I was thinking. some of the fit pics over there are pretty terrible, but there are also some pretty solid posters, so I'd like to take some inspiration from the kids of stuff they do.

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by steviecakes
I'm contemplating getting my first (and probably only) pair of Jordans. Either III's or Spizikes. I figure that I'm 20 and I should cop while I'm still young and it's socially acceptable. Because *******, you only live once.
go for the IIIs. cement and true blue are sssssssick if you can get your hands on them

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Argh. I would love to buy more margiela and damir, as well as some ann for summer, but goddamn.

I have this great idea that I'll drop off the map and go walkabout later this year, which would involve no longer having a steady source of income.

I'll be back traveling again in a few weeks, and I'm pretty sure I'll have a leather duffle, a blue cotton blazer, shredded apc's, margiela boots and a pack of hanes with me, and that'll be it. I wish I could find more **** like that, you know? rick dunks don't travel that well.

I also am really considering dropping $$$ for some black waxed jawnz.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by notwithit
Has there been a discussion of t-shirt fabrics at some point? I tried searching for it, but the search function doesn't seem to like hyphens. Pretty much all I ended up with was a discussion of the WvG "****** fabric". Something along the lines of: - AA viscose tees are 100% viscose (and pile like nobody's business) - AA tri-blends are 50% poly, 25% cotton, 25% rayon (and you can wash and dry them a bajillion times) - Man of Moods tees are 70% rayon, 20% cotton, 10% silk (and feel really nice, but I haven't washed mine yet) - Odyn Vovk Cure tees are 50% micromodal, 50% cotton (I don't have one, but I think APK spoke highly of them)
AA tri-blend fabric is icky. It pills easily when rubbed against stuff and tends to look schlubby, similar to a gym shirt. I believe AA has even marketed some of their shirts utilizing this fabric as "gym shirt" as if that were a positive trait! MofM tees have very nice fabric. They change the fabric composition slightly every season, often including less common materials such as silk and wool into their blends. But despite this their fabric overall tends to look and feel like a high end, super smooth cotton. Lad Musician fabric feels similar to MofM, yet it is 100% cotton. Even after many washes it does not pill, shrink, or loose it's shape-- exactly the opposite of AA's 100% cotton fabric. wjk fabric is usually 100% cotton and is heavy and thick. And some of their $150 tees have insanely thick fabric. These are the highest quality thick tees I've ever handled. Silent fabric is ok. While it's nicer than AA, it is simply not in the same league as the nicer Japanese fabrics. Silent is the most overrated brand. The $100 Forward charges for Silent tees is overpriced-- they are more like $30 tees which is about what Gilt was charging.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
hate true blues

synth I realized a long time ago when I was still coppin up a storm that this is one of the most expensive hobbies ever

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Ah Christ, I sold something to someone in Switzerland last month and it hasn't shown up yet. It's probably been about two weeks, so chances are he's going to receive it soon and USPS First Class International is to blame at the moment. But now he's requesting a refund, which is fine if it becomes clear that the item is actually missing. I'm sensing a PayPal chargeback in my future.

The package finally turned up...in my god damn mail box. Judging by the various stickers covering it, the package went on quite the journey before adorning the "return to sender" sticker. I'm just going to refund the guy instead of trying to ship it back to him. Not dealing with the Swiss anymore.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Synthese
I'll be back traveling again in a few weeks, and I'm pretty sure I'll have a leather duffle, a blue cotton blazer, shredded apc's, margiela boots and a pack of hanes with me, and that'll be it. I wish I could find more **** like that, you know? rick dunks don't travel that well.
With the baggage fees, security, and carry on restrictions it's becoming difficult to bring a reasonable selection of clothing along on a trip. I often find it challenging to pack enough variety to handle both office meetings and casual. My strategy lately has been to pack dark jeans, white/gray tees, white/gray button downs, a casual blazer, and boots. I then always wear the same stuff on the bottom, but modify the top half to fit the situation. Perhaps this sounds lazy and boring to some, but trying to wear more unusual outfits while traveling is just too difficult and time consuming to pull off well. Compared to the bland and baggy outfits I see others wearing most places, even my most basic fit tends to stand out anyway.

bows1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been living in my Comme wool pants whenever I'm not working. So comfy and the hem is small enough I can make them cropped just by pulling them up to my calves. Wonderful pants and a steal at 100$.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One possible reason why Americans dress poorly and don't care about quality clothing is because the US is the most rationalized society in the world. In a highly rationalized society there is a tendency for quantity which is delivered quickly and inexpensively to be viewed as the measure of quality.

Thus we see the majority of Americans eating out at restaurants like Olive Garden, Applebees, and Red Lobster. Most of these chains provide the culinary equivalent of frozen food heated in a microwave. Yet the patrons of these places don't see it that way since they have been socialized to believe that highly rationalized systems and quality are nearly synonymous. The clean family friendly establishment that quickly and consistently delivers large quantities of safe tasting food is the quality choice. And odds are good most people's workplace promotes similar values.

Would not people's clothing choices be influenced in a similar manner? Looking at videos on youtube we can easily find young women showing us their mediocre finds from Forever21, TJ Maxx, or Marshalls as if they've hit the jackpot. "Look at this, I got 10 cute tops from TJ Maxx for only $50!" No matter where you live odds are there's a TJ Maxx within minutes of your home, providing you with inexpensive clothing in a predictable manner similar to how the Olive Garden delivers your food.

Additionally elitism is the equivalent of quality and American society shuns elitism. "What's that? Olive Garden is not good enough for you? Well you must be a snob!"

Lastly I would argue that good fashion design (like anything creative) is an inherently irrational process, and in a highly rationalized society such processes are unlikely to be highly valued.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dont give a **** about other peoples choices concerning clothing, anymore..zzz.

Meis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ BB1
The difference is, at least in my opinion, that in the US its more acceptable to be a food elitist than it is to be clothing elitist.

Lane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol, recent argument in this thread concerning eating out suggests different to me

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
how so?

Originally Posted by Uncontrol
kunk's plan didn't work out it seems lol

scott.m

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm so tired of bb1's posting, I see the block of text and just feel ******* tired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads