• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
On an unrelated note, it's funny to see all the stuff from Barney's warehouse sale that's turning up at inflated prices on B&S and ebay (not going to name names). Then again, if you're willing to assume the risk then go for it.

I agree. Saw some BoO that I knew was from the LA Warehouse sale on ebay days later. Seems like a bottom feeding risk not worth taking.

I really do not see a problem with this at all. you do realize that everybody does that right? SF b/s is full of people who filter through thrift shops and sales to then resell for profit on here. the only problem is that you recognize the item and that somehow you feel cheated because you have some minute familiarity with the item being sold. kinda reminds me of people who love to eat meat, yet are so appalled when they see/find out how the meat is obtained.

Last edited:

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I really, really love the styling at this kid's store. It's cool because a lot of the stuff comes in adult sizes too.

D27Rw.jpg

syDna.jpg

5dFyl.jpg

^^ Probably going to go back and buy this jacket, among other things (need to sell some stuff first)

Girls:

k53dN.jpg

Last edited:

snowmanxl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

first pic is awesome :slayer:

Yeah the first one is what caught my eye and blew me away. It's what made me go into the store and check everything out.

Haha it's basically identical to this Manastash jacket I want, which I would have to proxy from Japan for too much money. This one is $223 and down the street from me. The back of it is bright red too lol

It's a Japanese brand and they sell a bunch of other cool, sort of crunchy stuff. Lots of patchwork, pseudo-distressed and stuff seemingly made from "found" materials. I might also pick up this crazy Mickey Mouse tee shirt too :slayer:

Also want to get this pair of shorts that are basically like these Rehacer ones, only without the built in leggings. The price is right too, they're only like $100.

jhm6z.jpg

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I really do not see a problem with this at all. you do realize that everybody does that right? SF b/s is full of people who filter through thrift shops and sales to then resell for profit on here. the only problem is that you recognize the item and that somehow you feel cheated because you have some minute familiarity with the item being sold. kinda reminds me of people who love to eat meat, yet are so appalled when they see/find out how the meat is obtained.

I've actually done this myself, though I've always said up front that I'm reselling something I found on discount. Even then the markup I asked was so minor that it ended up not being worth it, so I stopped doing it. I could've asked for more, but it felt kinda weird to me. Now if I find a deal on something I just post it on here and say if someone really wants it I can proxy. That said, if I find something I really want on B&S or ebay for a good price I don't really care if the seller is making money on the deal (in fact, I appreciate the guys who live near outlets and sell that stuff on here). And when you're talking about a final sale item, the person trying to flip it really is just assuming the risk of not selling and trying to get a reward for taking on that risk, which is why I said go for it. What irks me is when I see something I know was purchased for maybe $60 and is being sold for $200, with a comment in the description included about what a good deal it is.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
here's a distinction - the price paid and the price someone else will pay. the COST of the item is in NO way relevant to the asking price. In the same way as you wouldn't look at an item in the store and say 'yeah this fabric doesn't cost that much, nor does the construction, or the design, so why is it so expensive?'... you're not paying for Picasso's paint and canvass... So people who buy and flip are just looking for market inefficiencies, and it's a matter of location and timing. I'd be willing to pay a price for an item I want because of what it means to me. What it cost them to buy it isn't relevant because they have it and I want it, end of story. They found it locally when I'm overseas, or they got there first and waited til the sales ended, etc...

i've noticed a similar thing as I've started listing things to sell :)spam:) that I keep listing stuff at prices for what I paid even though I know full well that it's probably worth more and it's more like I'm passing on a good deal.

TLDR - Value is whatever the buyer is willing to pay.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
same complaints surface every once in a while because of this bizarre sense of entitlement. oh well

notwithit

Pullup laureate
Reaction score
Ok, jerkfaces, here's the product review that none of you have been asking for. My camera battery died, so I'm just stealing a photo from Zappos: http://www.zappos.com/hunter-southington-chalk

I bought a pair of Hunter Southington boots off the recent Gilt sale. Obviously, these look a ****-ton like CP training boots. In fact, they are a ****-ton like CP training boots. It's a low-profile, cap-toe hi-top sneaker with seven eyelets and a zipper on the outstep protected by a strap that snaps in place. The shaft height is the same, both have a stitched midsole, and both are made in Italy. The leather is fairly supple on both of them, and both are leather-lined.

Comparing them side-by-side with actual CP training boots, here are the differences I can spot:

- The strap is longer on the Hunters, wrapping all the way around the back of the boot, and it has the Hunter logo on it.
- The sole is more rugged on the Hunters, but it's still stitched, and it's one solid piece (like CPs) and not glued together (like chucks).
- The laces are bigger, more like boot laces.
- The tongue is a bit rounder (this isn't that noticeable, but if you look closely at both, the tongue on the CPs appears to be a bit more squared off).
- The Hunter boots have two thinner pieces of leather stitched together, whereas the CPs have only one thicker piece. This is probably unavoidable, though, since the Hunter boots are suede and the CPs aren't (I don't think you'd want to have a suede-lined shoe). The leather on the Hunters also feels a touch softer, but it could just be that it's suede.
- The toebox is a little rounder on the Hunters, and the toe cap starts further back from the front of the shoe (as you can see in the second picture).
- There's an H stitched near the eyelets on the zipper side of the shoe.
- There's a strip of leather running up the shaft on the back of the Hunters, whereas the CPs just have a seam running up the back (see the third picture).
- There's a black ID stamp on the inside of the tongue instead of a gold stamp on the side of the heel.
- The zipper and zipper pull are different.

Really, this last point is the only one that bothers me. The action isn't particularly smooth on the zipper used for the Hunters, and I don't know if this is going to cause problems. I'll play around with it a bit and see if I can get it to start zipping smoothly, which is sometimes necessary with new zippers.

Final analysis: These were $130 on Gilt, and I don't even know where I could find the equivalent CP colorway (grey or dirty white or whatever). I'm gonna sleep on it, but I'm pretty damn sure I'm keeping these.

khoveraki

Reaction score
not when you're 5'2" and 130lbs...lol.

Haha true. Think of all the Hermes I could buy with the money I'd save on liquor if I was that size.

I'm not a huge guy, 5'9 165lbs but I'm basically just german and irish so I'd drink myself poor anytime I went to a bar.

random fashion thought: I wish I could wear only dark-colored knits over slightly less dark t-shirts everyday for the rest of my life. I guess I'd have to wear pants though too.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah the first one is what caught my eye and blew me away. It's what made me go into the store and check everything out.

Haha it's basically identical to this Manastash jacket I want, which I would have to proxy from Japan for too much money. This one is $223 and down the street from me. The back of it is bright red too lol

It's a Japanese brand and they sell a bunch of other cool, sort of crunchy stuff. Lots of patchwork, pseudo-distressed and stuff seemingly made from "found" materials. I might also pick up this crazy Mickey Mouse tee shirt too :slayer:

Also want to get this pair of shorts that are basically like these Rehacer ones, only without the built in leggings. The price is right too, they're only like $100.

jhm6z.jpg

Well ****, if they're Japanese then I'll take three.

I swear, this forum sounds like a Honda Civic ricer board sometimes.

tween_spirit

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Well ****, if they're Japanese then I'll take three.

I swear, this forum sounds like a Honda Civic ricer board sometimes.

I'm not saying it's cool because it's Japanese, I'm saying it's cool and it's Japanese.

I thought that would give some perspective to what the brand might be like because of some things that only come through sort of in the photos.

It's sort of like a 45rpm "lite" for kids, but they also make adult sizes and the pricing is low compared to a lot of similar (unsurprisingly japanese) popular labels.

Last edited:

jslade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, USPS is some ****. Tracking shows that my ToJ was "Out for Delivery" early in the morning, but the mail guy never even came around. When I called USPS to ask what was going on, the representative told me that they "ran out of time to deliver it." I didn't even know that could happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads