• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have food/restaurant recommendations in Montreal? Didn't get many answers in the food thread, but I'll be there for 2-3 days this summer and am looking for delicious things. poutine being one, nice dinners being another.

Ime, the best food in Montreal is in the "rustic" style, or occasionally, bistro style. I used to go there for the Jazz festival. I don't even really like jazz that much, but the atmosphere is excellent, and this from someone who typically hates crowds and group activities.

I'm going to leave fine dining recommendations to the less barbaric amongst us, but imo, poutine should be properly served in a cylindrical container, the better to retain heat and make sure that the curds are properly melted by the hot fries and piping hot gravy. I like Frites Alors, but there are a ton of good places. La Banquise is a tourist trap, but poutine and beer are gonna trap most people anyway.

Whatever you do, make sure to eat a lot crullers at Tim Hortons.

I've never, but you might want to check out SSense, the actual physical location, and Michel Brisson.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have food/restaurant recommendations in Montreal? Didn't get many answers in the food thread, but I'll be there for 2-3 days this summer and am looking for delicious things. poutine being one, nice dinners being another.

Heading there in about a week and a half, here is what I've amassed in no particular order: Joe Beef/Liverpool House (make reservations EARLY, they were both full when I tried about a month ago), Cote-st-Luc kosher bagel, Deli 365, Au Pied de Cochon (managed to get a reservation there), Bar le Royal, pizza st-viateur, boulangerie cheskie

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm finding more and more that on my travels most nondescript restaurants that serve local food are best.
I don't remember with whom I discussed this, but yes, absolutely agree. Those are the places with real personality. The higher end is dominated by "global culture", and I swear that I can get pretty much the same food, service, and even servers, from one city to another, one country to another. It's sorta like McDonald's for the bourgeois class.

afixedpoint

Crossfit
Reaction score
I don't remember with whom I discussed this, but yes, absolutely agree. Those are the places with real personality. The higher end is dominated by "global culture", and I swear that I can get pretty much the same food, service, and even servers, from one city to another, one country to another. It's sorta like McDonald's for the bourgeois class.

I asked you about Milan a couple of weeks ago. Met a Japanese-Italian girl who took me around the city for the weekend. Way more fun than doing research to find places to go. Also got some good recommendations from some Italian friends.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm checking out Frank Clegg bags, which look real nice, but why the hell are the handles so short on mens tote bags? Are dudes not supposed to put them over the shoulder??

Is there a reason not just to buy a larger womens one?

Mens (this won't fit over your shoulder!! I measured it!!!!)
ni3Vfnx.jpg

Womens (long and floppy??)
1MStyzD.jpg

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's it. It's boring. And usually very expensive.

Also, having reservations booked before you go will mess with the flow of your vacation. It's easier just to pop in somewhere with no wait when you're actually hungry.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I sorta like the idea of being less structured when going on vacation. It can be annoying though, in some cities all the good restaurants need a reservation friday / saturday. Otherwise you're eating some street meat.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sorta like the idea of being less structured when going on vacation. It can be annoying though, in some cities all the good restaurants need a reservation friday / saturday. Otherwise you're eating some street meat.

I suppose that it depends on what you call a good restaurant, how open you are to some adventure/waiting, and how much you like streetmeat. For me, I love streetmeat. That is one thing that varies regionally quite a bit. with the commonality of it being piping hot, and *****, and generally good for late nights and the sequestation of alcohol.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's been really hot / humid. So much so cotton Ts feel hot. I tried some super sheer summer shirts from Buck Mason, I liked the fabric a lot but the cut was very feminine. Any suggestions for dealing with the heat?

I suppose that it depends on what you call a good restaurant, how open you are to some adventure/waiting, and how much you like streetmeat. For me, I love streetmeat. That is one thing that varies regionally quite a bit. with the commonality of it being piping hot, and *****, and generally good for late nights and the sequestation of alcohol.

This is true, some of my favorite meals were spontaneous stops. Like that eight cent pizza in Cuba at 3am. Been real let down by expensive checks and average food from highly rated places.

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just spent a week in NYC with basically no structure other than that dictated by my friends' schedules. Did I eat as well as I could have if I'd been super on the ball? No. Did I eat really well anyway? Yeah. It was fine.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What all of you are describing is my usual method, but since where I live generally lacks the kind of 'world-class,' 'global' cuisine you're discussing, I thought it would be a nice change of pace. Also, I would like to have a few places in mind so I'm not scrambling on yelp at 12:30 when we're starving, so thanks for the recommendations.

Poutine's obviously on the list, but I'm not totally sure I'll want it when it's 90 degrees and 90% humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads