• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

troika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have food/restaurant recommendations in Montreal? Didn't get many answers in the food thread, but I'll be there for 2-3 days this summer and am looking for delicious things. poutine being one, nice dinners being another.
Heading there in about a week and a half, here is what I've amassed in no particular order: Joe Beef/Liverpool House (make reservations EARLY, they were both full when I tried about a month ago), Cote-st-Luc kosher bagel, Deli 365, Au Pied de Cochon (managed to get a reservation there), Bar le Royal, pizza st-viateur, boulangerie cheskie

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

afixedpoint

Crossfit
Reaction score
I don't remember with whom I discussed this, but yes, absolutely agree. Those are the places with real personality. The higher end is dominated by "global culture", and I swear that I can get pretty much the same food, service, and even servers, from one city to another, one country to another. It's sorta like McDonald's for the bourgeois class.
I asked you about Milan a couple of weeks ago. Met a Japanese-Italian girl who took me around the city for the weekend. Way more fun than doing research to find places to go. Also got some good recommendations from some Italian friends.

nicelynice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm checking out Frank Clegg bags, which look real nice, but why the hell are the handles so short on mens tote bags? Are dudes not supposed to put them over the shoulder??

Is there a reason not just to buy a larger womens one?

Mens (this won't fit over your shoulder!! I measured it!!!!)

Womens (long and floppy??)

habitant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't remember with whom I discussed this, but yes, absolutely agree. Those are the places with real personality. The higher end is dominated by "global culture", and I swear that I can get pretty much the same food, service, and even servers, from one city to another, one country to another. It's sorta like McDonald's for the bourgeois class.
That's it. It's boring. And usually very expensive.

Also, having reservations booked before you go will mess with the flow of your vacation. It's easier just to pop in somewhere with no wait when you're actually hungry.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I sorta like the idea of being less structured when going on vacation. It can be annoying though, in some cities all the good restaurants need a reservation friday / saturday. Otherwise you're eating some street meat.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Reaction score

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's been really hot / humid. So much so cotton Ts feel hot. I tried some super sheer summer shirts from Buck Mason, I liked the fabric a lot but the cut was very feminine. Any suggestions for dealing with the heat?

I suppose that it depends on what you call a good restaurant, how open you are to some adventure/waiting, and how much you like streetmeat. For me, I love streetmeat. That is one thing that varies regionally quite a bit. with the commonality of it being piping hot, and fatty, and generally good for late nights and the sequestation of alcohol.
This is true, some of my favorite meals were spontaneous stops. Like that eight cent pizza in Cuba at 3am. Been real let down by expensive checks and average food from highly rated places.

oulipien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sorta like the idea of being less structured when going on vacation. It can be annoying though, in some cities all the good restaurants need a reservation friday / saturday. Otherwise you're eating some street meat.
I just spent a week in NYC with basically no structure other than that dictated by my friends' schedules. Did I eat as well as I could have if I'd been super on the ball? No. Did I eat really well anyway? Yeah. It was fine.

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
What all of you are describing is my usual method, but since where I live generally lacks the kind of 'world-class,' 'global' cuisine you're discussing, I thought it would be a nice change of pace. Also, I would like to have a few places in mind so I'm not scrambling on yelp at 12:30 when we're starving, so thanks for the recommendations.

Poutine's obviously on the list, but I'm not totally sure I'll want it when it's 90 degrees and 90% humidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How often do you get a haircut?

• Every 2 weeks

• Every 3 weeks

• Once a month

• Every 6 weeks or longer

Results are only viewable after voting.