• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Doing some closet consolidation. The feels are real :cry: Will probably put the calf 5-zip up soon too.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
only feels nice if people buy it

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Oh and:
Duff says the freedom that characterized the early days of the information revolution has started to be supplanted by “the domination of information technology over human beings, and the subordination of people to a technological imperative.”
http://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...e-information-revolution-lost-its-way/471009/

Another interesting read. Always enjoy the comments as well, particularly when the author engages in them. @gettoasty Matrix reference made me lol.

Last edited:

flowcharts

Reaction score
on that note. @nahneun cast youru doubts aside

having some doubts of my own now. sometimes letting something sit in the back of your closet for a while allows you to look at it from a new perspective when you finally bring it back out.

Last edited:

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
i gots phat calves :(

Last edited:

flowcharts

Reaction score
you say, to the guy about to go play soccer
tongue.gif

On another note, does anyone have experience with ordering from Bring on Rakuten? This is the first seller I've dealt with that hasn't had prompt (or any) communication so far. Noticed tonight that my card got charged 6 days later without ever having received the standard shipping quote emails, and no tracking info as of yet...

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Quote:
that's a tempting strategy, but I see a few problems:

1. it assumes any potential buyer is going to see the auction within the week or whatever timeframe you specify. I've had auctions where they get relisted 3-4 times with no bids but then all of a sudden someone snatches it up. so starting at a penny and only running it for one week runs the risk that it ends super low (see #2) as opposed to it not selling one week, but then fetching a decent price later on.

2. it assumes that everything will get bid up to at least enough that it isn't a complete waste of time to deal with. for instance, if something gets only one bid and ends for literally one cent plus shipping then just the amount of time you spend shipping it is costing you more that what you are getting.

3. it takes away your ability to suggest a value. I find sometimes overpricing things but accepting offers yields a higher price. For instance, I've priced things at around $60 and had offers of $45 by people who think they are getting a good deal when similar items at auction only get bid up to $20-30.

I would say if you're dealing with something in relatively decent/high demand where you know the bids will exceed at least $100, then your strategy is a good one. For anything less than that, maybe not. I've stopped bothering with sub-$100 stuff for the most part since it's frankly easier and less time consuming to just donate those items.

Last edited:

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gave up on selling everything myself and started sending clothes to a consignor. The convenience is awesome.

Last edited:

t3hg0suazn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nicelynice only sells the highest quality, elusively rare, coveted fashiunz. Whatever he's selling, you want it, cause it's the good stuff.

Ragechester

Reaction score
I gave up on selling everything myself and started sending clothes to a consignor. The convenience is awesome.

online consignor, or a local shop? convenience is tempting but I imagine the % cut is decent

javy

Reaction score
that's a tempting strategy, but I see a few problems:

1. it assumes any potential buyer is going to see the auction within the week or whatever timeframe you specify. I've had auctions where they get relisted 3-4 times with no bids but then all of a sudden someone snatches it up. so starting at a penny and only running it for one week runs the risk that it ends super low (see #2) as opposed to it not selling one week, but then fetching a decent price later on.

2. it assumes that everything will get bid up to at least enough that it isn't a complete waste of time to deal with. for instance, if something gets only one bid and ends for literally one cent plus shipping then just the amount of time you spend shipping it is costing you more that what you are getting.

3. it takes away your ability to suggest a value. I find sometimes overpricing things but accepting offers yields a higher price. For instance, I've priced things at around $60 and had offers of $45 by people who think they are getting a good deal when similar items at auction only get bid up to $20-30.

I would say if you're dealing with something in relatively decent/high demand where you know the bids will exceed at least $100, then your strategy is a good one. For anything less than that, maybe not. I've stopped bothering with sub-$100 stuff for the most part since it's frankly easier and less time consuming to just donate those items.

If nicelynice is using Yahoo Japan, then he has the ability to cancel auctions and re-list them, I think. I've seen this happen many times on Y!J for listings that, presumably, didn't reach a high enough bid to satisfy the seller.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

online consignor, or a local shop? convenience is tempting but I imagine the % cut is decent

Online. Yeah it's significant...40%. But I knew I'd never get around to selling everything myself and it's worth it to me not to deal with photos, measurements, answering questions, shipping, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads