• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

kilgour look good - I'm going to contact them, thanks.(

Don't know what your budget is like, but suits on Savile Row will be expensive. Roughly 5,000 GBP for a two piece suit, give or take 1,000.

Some places will have RTW lines (including Kilgour), which will be more affordable.

Really depends on what kind of silhouette you like and what's your budget. IMO, there's no reason to go straight to Savile Row bespoke if there's a RTW (or sometimes even MTM) that would suit you better.

Last edited:

hennree

Reaction score

Day or evening wedding? Mostly indoors or outdoors? There's a lot of good options for a summer wedding.

Day - Summer, hopefully outdoors depending on weather. Google images show you rocking the formosa tux, btw.

I say wear the geller richard suit, then tell the groomsmen to buy geller richard suits, then in the invitations write that the expected attire is "loungey formal", then you all can spend the event prancing around in wool-acrylic glee. It's your wedding-- you set the terms!

I love this idea and you're completely right, it is my choice, but it definitely doesn't feel like my choice :(

Don't know what your budget is like, but suits on Savile Row will be expensive. Roughly 5,000 GBP for a two piece suit, give or take 1,000.

Some places will have RTW lines (including Kilgour), which will be more affordable.

Really depends on what kind of silhouette you like and what's your budget. IMO, there's no reason to go straight to Savile Row bespoke if there's a RTW (or sometimes even MTM) that would suit you better.

Yeah £5K is way too much - Ideally i'd be looking around the £1K mark to be honest. That probably wipes out a lot of Savile Row MTM.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Day - Summer, hopefully outdoors depending on weather. Google images show you rocking the formosa tux, btw.

Krish wore it even better - he posted his not too long ago.

Summer day wedding opens up a lot of fun and less stiff options. You can go retro rakish with a cream tux jacket, you can go relaxed with a linen suit, you can go "modern morning suit" with a dove grey suit and white shirt... Unless you guys are doing a rather formal evening receptions, I probably wouldn't wear a classic tux for a summer day wedding

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get married in July and I have no idea what to wear
frown.gif

I own one suit and I hate it. At this rate I'll end up wearing full geller richard suit.

What did SW&D folks wear to get married? I remember seeing some cool pics of @wormwood.
I say wear the geller richard suit, then tell the groomsmen to buy geller richard suits, then in the invitations write that the expected attire is "loungey formal", then you all can spend the event prancing around in wool-acrylic glee. It's your wedding-- you set the terms!

Not for nothing, but this is not a half terrible idea. Will you regret having done this in a decade? Five years? Maybe. But you'll feel and look good now. Yes, you can be safe and look good forever, but if you don't look back on your life and don't shake your head at some of the silly decisions you've made, you've not lived, you've just not died. "Decorum"? C'mon now. You don't need to conform to the standards that other people set, particularly at your own wedding. Who are they to tell you what you can and can't do?

Maybe, if you are not feeling that brave, get a Margiela suit. They have that louche shape that is not unlike a lot of Robert Geller stuff. This, if you are a standard 40 or 42, would work: http://www.yoox.com/us/49152442DE/item#dept=men&sts=sr_men80&cod10=49152442DE&sizeId=, and at the price ($380), and returns, it's a no lose situation.

I wore a shawl collar crepe dinner jacket to my own wedding. Loved it, still love it. Only regret that it was so freaking hot and we did the "outdoor in LA" dinner reception, which was great, except that I felt like I was cutting weight, with how much I ended up sweating throughout the night.

If you are going that route and Savile Row have a look at Norton & Sons and Richard James as well.
This.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Yeah £5K is way too much - Ideally i'd be looking around the £1K mark to be honest. That probably wipes out a lot of Savile Row MTM.

£1K would rule out most bespoke, although Whitcomb & Shaftesbury has a service starting around £1.5K. The paper pattern is cut in London, but the make is done in India.

Cad & the Dandy also has a MTM service on the Row for just under £1K. And Thom Sweeney is off the row with a MTM service around £1.5K.

The difference between the MTM and bespoke services is that bespoke will come with more fittings, which theoretically will give you a higher probability of getting something that fits well (although this is highly over simplified).

It's perhaps over recommended on this board, but Suitsupply is also worth a look. And you'd get the benefits of ready-to-wear, where you can put something back on the rack if you don't like it. They're well under £1K.

Summer day wedding opens up a lot of fun and less stiff options.  You can go retro rakish with a cream tux jacket, you can go relaxed with a linen suit, you can go "modern morning suit" with a dove grey suit and white shirt...    Unless you guys are doing a rather formal evening receptions, I probably wouldn't wear a classic tux for a summer day wedding

I like those a lot. Although, it also sounds like he doesn't have a suit he likes at all right now in his closet. It's super boring advice, but I feel like a slim-cut, non-fusty navy suit would at least give him something he could easily wear after the wedding.

You can also wear those options above afterwards, but I feel like they're a bit more context specific.

Find Finn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chelsea boots gonna look weird on a dude with big hips / legs since they are slim? I've got a pretty good drop right now, 40" chest 32" waist. But I definitely have a big ass / legs.

lookin for an easy summer boot / shoe. Maybe ill just find a suede PTB.

Last edited:

hennree

Reaction score
thanks guys, this discussion has been helpful so I have a few routes I can go down now.

ghdvfddzgzdzg

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Chelsea boots gonna look weird on a dude with big hips / legs since they are slim? I've got a pretty good drop right now, 40" chest 32" waist. But I definitely have a big ass / legs.

lookin for an easy summer boot / shoe. Maybe ill just find a suede PTB.

not all chelseas are slim though.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have a similar drop, ymmv.

Severisth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really wish Petar Petrov & Ute Ploier were still making men's clothes. Would wear so much old Petrov

Noctone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mementomoriarty

Reaction score
Friday Fun: What happens when you face swap Tobias Funke and Rick Owens

Last edited:

Benesyed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads