1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. sipang

sipang Distinguished Member

boiled wool
    gabardine
    linen,
    moleskin
    leather

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015

2. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Same here, I get things from so many different brands that, while I have a few core ones, I cannot really say I restrain myself to any 2 or 8.

3. Caveat

Caveat Distinguished Member

Just to be clear, I am only trying to narrow my buying down to those brands because I am trying to narrow down my buying. I am interested in a million other things too, but you just have to draw the line somewhere and I don't want to give up any of those.

4. sipang

sipang Distinguished Member

Yes, definitely. On the bolded part, I think it's probably easier to go that route if you're already into fuller cuts and silhouettes (and muted color palettes). I mean, once you start embracing volume (even in small doses) and/or stop worrying about the illusory perfect fit, the playing field really opens up. In the context of this place, as backward as it sounds, Yohji&co. might be the gateway to cheap workwear.

5. Ragechester

Ragechester Senior Member

Quote:Originally Posted by toothsomesound [​IMG] You can do the exact same thing online from even the most rural destination with wifi, as do most SFers. I do envy you guys in major cities that can assess an obscure old garment in person before committing to buying it since most of the time buying second hand/ vintage online means no returns.

6. ihrm

ihrm Well-Known Member

JE?

7. Parker

Parker Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I've always thought the eclectic approach -- or picking stuff that you respond to out of all the gazillions of choices - is what really constitues personal style. Hewing to any single brand or a distinct genre can be okay, but I find the guys I admire the most dress to their own taste and usually it's a mishmash of things peppered with personal elements, vintage, occasional designer, etc.

8. Ragechester

Ragechester Senior Member

John Elliot

JE basics seem overrated compared to other things in a similar price point imo, but people seem happy with the stuff they own

9. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

I also make purchases from a plethora of available designers and fashion houses

10. Parker

Parker Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

there are always exceptions to the rule of course

11. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Distinguished Member

I won't disagree that JE basics are overpriced, but for me they seem to be the perfect cut, whereas everything else I've tried has something wrong with it one way or the other. Just well refined, good cut, and decent enough fabric that I won't mind spending the $ for it

12. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Distinguished Member

@Caveat has probably said it best. With limited funds I find it better to focus my spending. So instead of thinking somethings too expensive and not buying it I find it better to save for that 1 piece because I usually end up spending close to that amount anyway on other stuff I didn't really need. This is the first year I've really focused on this though and in turn I've bought like 6 Geller pieces from this season and am infinitely happier.

13. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Distinguished Member

As a side note when you guys (Sipang, bobo, Parker) say "vintage" what exactly do you mean? Just non-designer stuff?

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Even if you live outside of a metropolis, it's 2015, and opportunities abound online fo finding wierd and/or cool shit. I do it by association. For example, looking for Viridi-Anne caps led me to Coeur, which led me to Kijima Takayuki caps, which led to Guidi boots, which led to MA+ sandals (want, though I don't really wear sandals), which led to Greg Lauren, which like to "Ink Remake" M65 vests, which led to Hender Scheme and Stevenson Overall. Or maybe I have that backwards. I don't remember.

Most people never look past the first page of Google results, which makes me sad (incidentally, a lot of my work is to ensure that people get Styleforum in place 1-5 on any given search about mens clothing, so I'm part of the industry and play the game as well). I find that some of the discoveries happen on page 5 or 6 or 20 of a google search.

Otherwise, it's like confining your shopping in NYC to Broadway in Lower Manhattan. You miss nearly all the really fun stuff. We are guilty of it as well. We talk about places like Hoteveli, or maybe Leffot, or maybe Idol in Brooklyn, or whatever. But there are lots of lots of stores in NYC in the nooks and crannies (one of my favorite for forever is The Cast, which is pretty much a LES fixture these days, but I have shirts from when they were looking for their identity, and are sorts "surfy")

15. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Distinguished Member