• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

Anyone else that is not that into specific brands? I just buy something from our legacy each season, because its available and I know what i´ll get, and look at Margaret Howell but rarely pick up anything because I think that its on the expensive side- Other than that I only buy stuff from non-fashion brands, ala german workwear, scottish knitwear, british moleskin and so on. I enjoy the aspect of randomness that is associated with buying non-fashion, and on top of that its typically amazing quality at modest prices.

Same here, I get things from so many different brands that, while I have a few core ones, I cannot really say I restrain myself to any 2 or 8.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, I am only trying to narrow my buying down to those brands because I am trying to narrow down my buying. I am interested in a million other things too, but you just have to draw the line somewhere and I don't want to give up any of those.

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone else that is not that into specific brands? I just buy something from our legacy each season, because its available and I know what i´ll get, and look at Margaret Howell but rarely pick up anything because I think that its on the expensive side- Other than that I only buy stuff from non-fashion brands, ala german workwear, scottish knitwear, british moleskin and so on. I enjoy the aspect of randomness that is associated with buying non-fashion, and on top of that its typically amazing quality at modest prices.

Yes, definitely. On the bolded part, I think it's probably easier to go that route if you're already into fuller cuts and silhouettes (and muted color palettes). I mean, once you start embracing volume (even in small doses) and/or stop worrying about the illusory perfect fit, the playing field really opens up. In the context of this place, as backward as it sounds, Yohji&co. might be the gateway to cheap workwear.

Last edited:

Ragechester

Reaction score
Quote:Originally Posted by toothsomesound
You can do the exact same thing online from even the most rural destination with wifi, as do most SFers. I do envy you guys in major cities that can assess an obscure old garment in person before committing to buying it since most of the time buying second hand/ vintage online means no returns.

ihrm

Reaction score
I'm trying to do all JE, SLP, MM(M), and RO. A couple very different looks but I think the pieces I buy they'll work out

My CM is a bit more tough: Formosa, BB, Alden, Lobb, Drakes. Trying to do all Formosa suiting, all Inglese shirts, Alden shell or Lobb calf, and all Drake's accessories, but this is going slower than anticipated.

JE?

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've always thought the eclectic approach -- or picking stuff that you respond to out of all the gazillions of choices - is what really constitues personal style. Hewing to any single brand or a distinct genre can be okay, but I find the guys I admire the most dress to their own taste and usually it's a mishmash of things peppered with personal elements, vintage, occasional designer, etc.

Last edited:

RegisDB9

Rico Suave
Reaction score
I also make purchases from a plethora of available designers and fashion houses

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
wink.gif

there are always exceptions to the rule of course

Last edited:

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I won't disagree that JE basics are overpriced, but for me they seem to be the perfect cut, whereas everything else I've tried has something wrong with it one way or the other. Just well refined, good cut, and decent enough fabric that I won't mind spending the $ for it

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Caveat has probably said it best. With limited funds I find it better to focus my spending. So instead of thinking somethings too expensive and not buying it I find it better to save for that 1 piece because I usually end up spending close to that amount anyway on other stuff I didn't really need. This is the first year I've really focused on this though and in turn I've bought like 6 Geller pieces from this season and am infinitely happier.

OccultaVexillum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As a side note when you guys (Sipang, bobo, Parker) say "vintage" what exactly do you mean? Just non-designer stuff?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
weird. I guess maybe it makes sense if you don't live in a major city, but for me i think most of the fun in looking at clothes these days is looking at second hand and vintage and looking at unexpected labels.
Even if you live outside of a metropolis, it's 2015, and opportunities abound online fo finding wierd and/or cool ****. I do it by association. For example, looking for Viridi-Anne caps led me to Coeur, which led me to Kijima Takayuki caps, which led to Guidi boots, which led to MA+ sandals (want, though I don't really wear sandals), which led to Greg Lauren, which like to "Ink Remake" M65 vests, which led to Hender Scheme and Stevenson Overall. Or maybe I have that backwards. I don't remember.

Most people never look past the first page of Google results, which makes me sad (incidentally, a lot of my work is to ensure that people get Styleforum in place 1-5 on any given search about mens clothing, so I'm part of the industry and play the game as well). I find that some of the discoveries happen on page 5 or 6 or 20 of a google search.

Otherwise, it's like confining your shopping in NYC to Broadway in Lower Manhattan. You miss nearly all the really fun stuff. We are guilty of it as well. We talk about places like Hoteveli, or maybe Leffot, or maybe Idol in Brooklyn, or whatever. But there are lots of lots of stores in NYC in the nooks and crannies (one of my favorite for forever is The Cast, which is pretty much a LES fixture these days, but I have shirts from when they were looking for their identity, and are sorts "surfy")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads