Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Well yeah. But I'm note sure if the two have to be mutually exclusive. There's a lot of brands that I love that I simply can't wear. So as much as I follow them I can't really fit it so I don't buy it. Like Ervell, Schneider etc.
    But already I'm thinking "I'm leaving out Coppens and Phillip Lim" so that's already like 8 brands. Basically idk wtf I'm talking about. I guess I just need to stop making impulse buys and save my money for the things that might be more expensive, but will give me infinitely more satisfaction and wear/use.

2. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Senior member

Anyone else that is not that into specific brands? I just buy something from our legacy each season, because its available and I know what i´ll get, and look at Margaret Howell but rarely pick up anything because I think that its on the expensive side- Other than that I only buy stuff from non-fashion brands, ala german workwear, scottish knitwear, british moleskin and so on. I enjoy the aspect of randomness that is associated with buying non-fashion, and on top of that its typically amazing quality at modest prices.

3. sipang

sipang Senior member

boiled wool
    gabardine
    linen,
    moleskin
    leather

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015

4. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Same here, I get things from so many different brands that, while I have a few core ones, I cannot really say I restrain myself to any 2 or 8.

5. Caveat

Caveat Senior member

Just to be clear, I am only trying to narrow my buying down to those brands because I am trying to narrow down my buying. I am interested in a million other things too, but you just have to draw the line somewhere and I don't want to give up any of those.

6. sipang

sipang Senior member

Yes, definitely. On the bolded part, I think it's probably easier to go that route if you're already into fuller cuts and silhouettes (and muted color palettes). I mean, once you start embracing volume (even in small doses) and/or stop worrying about the illusory perfect fit, the playing field really opens up. In the context of this place, as backward as it sounds, Yohji&co. might be the gateway to cheap workwear.

7. Ragechester

Ragechester Senior member

Quote:Originally Posted by toothsomesound [​IMG] You can do the exact same thing online from even the most rural destination with wifi, as do most SFers. I do envy you guys in major cities that can assess an obscure old garment in person before committing to buying it since most of the time buying second hand/ vintage online means no returns.

8. ihrm

ihrm Well-Known Member

JE?

9. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've always thought the eclectic approach -- or picking stuff that you respond to out of all the gazillions of choices - is what really constitues personal style. Hewing to any single brand or a distinct genre can be okay, but I find the guys I admire the most dress to their own taste and usually it's a mishmash of things peppered with personal elements, vintage, occasional designer, etc.

10. Ragechester

Ragechester Senior member

John Elliot

JE basics seem overrated compared to other things in a similar price point imo, but people seem happy with the stuff they own

11. RegisDB9

RegisDB9 Rico Suave

I also make purchases from a plethora of available designers and fashion houses

12. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

there are always exceptions to the rule of course

13. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

I won't disagree that JE basics are overpriced, but for me they seem to be the perfect cut, whereas everything else I've tried has something wrong with it one way or the other. Just well refined, good cut, and decent enough fabric that I won't mind spending the $ for it

14. OccultaVexillum

@Caveat has probably said it best. With limited funds I find it better to focus my spending. So instead of thinking somethings too expensive and not buying it I find it better to save for that 1 piece because I usually end up spending close to that amount anyway on other stuff I didn't really need. This is the first year I've really focused on this though and in turn I've bought like 6 Geller pieces from this season and am infinitely happier.

15. OccultaVexillum

As a side note when you guys (Sipang, bobo, Parker) say "vintage" what exactly do you mean? Just non-designer stuff?