1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

To be fair, pretty much every athletic apparel company the world over should only had to have heard the phrase "yoga pants as pants" once before dropping everything they were working on to reposition their products and get in on some of that sweet, sweet action. The difference with Nike is that they have a core value proposition firmly rooted in athletic sneakers and performance apparel, regardless of how cool or fashiony their stuff is; strip out NSW, Gyakusou, NikeLab, whatever, and you still have a shit-ton of sneaker sales. AA has always been a fashion brand and doesn't have much to offer once it stops coming out with cool and relevant products.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Being cool is the necessarily the shortest lived business plan ever.

3. notwithit

notwithit Pullup laureate

I guess that helps explain why they tanked.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Well, it explains why designer labels are generally shortlived.

5. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Distinguished Member

6. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Distinguished Member

I think I'm going to start buying only 6 or so brands. Every time I pick up something from a brand I'm not a huge fan of (as in I like a certain piece but it's not a label I'm generally excited about) I just wish I saved the money for something else.

7. Caveat

Caveat Distinguished Member

This is pretty much what I'm trying to do, but it's difficult:

Schneider
    Leder
    Margaret Howell
    Attachment
    Geller

With occasional EG, Dries, GATs, etc thrown in there.

8. OccultaVexillum

Yeah. I'm not counting shoes in this fwiw but 6 brands seems like plenty of variation and in reality I generally stick to about that many brands in terms of what I wear. There will always be pieces from other brands that I want though.

9. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Stylish Dinosaur

SS, RG, SLP, MM, Vis, EG, JE, CP

I have random Jil, Inverallan, IM, etc. mixed in, but the above are what I wear most (including shoes).

This excludes CM stuff.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015

10. OccultaVexillum

Yessss see it hardly feels limited when you type it out. Especially when you have exceptions for things like "work" and "basics", then you just become like everybody else.

11. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Distinguished Member

I'm trying to do all JE, SLP, MM(M), and RO. A couple very different looks but I think the pieces I buy they'll work out

My CM is a bit more tough: Formosa, BB, Alden, Lobb, Drakes. Trying to do all Formosa suiting, all Inglese shirts, Alden shell or Lobb calf, and all Drake's accessories, but this is going slower than anticipated.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015

12. OccultaVexillum

Seems like JE is the go to for basics here then.

Geller
    JE
    CDG (kind of cheating, mostly CDG shirt though)
    Public School (I know you all hate them, but it's basically Classic Lanvin-lite that fits me)
    Lemaire
    Isaora. Done

13. toothsomesound

toothsomesound Distinguished Member

weird. I guess maybe it makes sense if you don't live in a major city, but for me i think most of the fun in looking at clothes these days is looking at second hand and vintage and looking at unexpected labels.

14. OccultaVexillum

Well yeah. But I'm note sure if the two have to be mutually exclusive. There's a lot of brands that I love that I simply can't wear. So as much as I follow them I can't really fit it so I don't buy it. Like Ervell, Schneider etc.
    But already I'm thinking "I'm leaving out Coppens and Phillip Lim" so that's already like 8 brands. Basically idk wtf I'm talking about. I guess I just need to stop making impulse buys and save my money for the things that might be more expensive, but will give me infinitely more satisfaction and wear/use.

15. Superb0bo

Superb0bo Distinguished Member

Anyone else that is not that into specific brands? I just buy something from our legacy each season, because its available and I know what i´ll get, and look at Margaret Howell but rarely pick up anything because I think that its on the expensive side- Other than that I only buy stuff from non-fashion brands, ala german workwear, scottish knitwear, british moleskin and so on. I enjoy the aspect of randomness that is associated with buying non-fashion, and on top of that its typically amazing quality at modest prices.