Random fashion thoughts - Part II (A New Hope)

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by LA Guy, May 15, 2015.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Even if you live outside of a metropolis, it's 2015, and opportunities abound online fo finding wierd and/or cool shit. I do it by association. For example, looking for Viridi-Anne caps led me to Coeur, which led me to Kijima Takayuki caps, which led to Guidi boots, which led to MA+ sandals (want, though I don't really wear sandals), which led to Greg Lauren, which like to "Ink Remake" M65 vests, which led to Hender Scheme and Stevenson Overall. Or maybe I have that backwards. I don't remember.

Most people never look past the first page of Google results, which makes me sad (incidentally, a lot of my work is to ensure that people get Styleforum in place 1-5 on any given search about mens clothing, so I'm part of the industry and play the game as well). I find that some of the discoveries happen on page 5 or 6 or 20 of a google search.

Otherwise, it's like confining your shopping in NYC to Broadway in Lower Manhattan. You miss nearly all the really fun stuff. We are guilty of it as well. We talk about places like Hoteveli, or maybe Leffot, or maybe Idol in Brooklyn, or whatever. But there are lots of lots of stores in NYC in the nooks and crannies (one of my favorite for forever is The Cast, which is pretty much a LES fixture these days, but I have shirts from when they were looking for their identity, and are sorts "surfy")

2. thatoneguy

thatoneguy Senior member

3. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

4. mike868y

mike868y Senior member

@thewho13 do you have a white moto jacket? i know you used to have a white 5 zip but i think i saw you walking around somerville today? tried to yell but you didn't notice.

5. Ragechester

Ragechester Senior member

Can't speak for others, but imo the most interesting pieces I own are designer pieces from 5-15 years ago and I consider the older things in that category as vintage, especially if the garment has details and cut of a specific era or season. I do wonder about when you can call something "vintage," though.

I would imagine they mean both older designer stuff and thrifted old pieces who's origin cannot be known due to missing labels or obscure production.

6. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Reminds me, I regret not picking up the boiled wool Branquinho jacket from a while back :( I think Parker has one.

7. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think that "vintage," as a term of art, specifically assumes that something is at least 25 years old. In common usage people are a lot more flexible with the term. I own a lot of 60's shirts, mostly in the surf/prep california style - button down collars, tails, muted prints and stripes and madras. I own a lot of old sweaters from the same era - mostly English or Scottish cashmere. Old denim, old hats, old leather jackets. I have some oddball 70's things. It's not something a collector would give a shit about but I wear almost all of it.

8. LA Guy

I need to take pictures of this thing that I got as a gift. The most awesome panther on a houndstooth bomber.

9. dieworkwear

Agree, although you can have "vintage" Raf Simons that's only 15 years old. Kind of depends on the context.

One of my closest friends wears nothing but vintage. The kind you'd have to dig around at Goodwill to find too, not the kind of stuff you see at curated shops. Tons of no-name items that look great. Last time we hung out, he was wearing an old, cream-colored henley, some super old navy duffle coat, a pair of vintage fatigues made by who-knows-who, and some super old, black work boots that had the most amazing patina. The kind of boots that inspire brands like Viberg and whatnot. IMO, that kind of stuff almost always looks better than the designer repros, but you have to be really down to put in the time to hunt for them.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015

10. LA Guy

Noit just hunt down, but also recondition. This can be a huge PITA.

11. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

Eddie has some pretty cool older Helmut Lang pieces. I wish I dressed that well when I was at Cal... or even now.

12. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

Eddie's style is rad. I always thinks there way more E's than there are.
    Unless you're talking about a diff Eddie?
    Speaking of which, is there a good website for archival fashion stuff? I know this was brought up a few days ago re: runway shows, but I mean like print ads and editorials and shit. In particular CDG, which seems like it would be relatively easy to find but I haven't been able to find much.

13. dieworkwear

The Fashion Spot has some stuff in their forum.

http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f133/

There's also an amazing site for menswear specific ads and editorials, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name right now. They have a drop down menu in the middle of the screen, I remember. If anyone actually knows what I'm talking about, I'd appreciate the link. Been trying to remember the name of the site for the last month.

14. Bam!ChairDance

Bam!ChairDance Senior member

15. Ragechester

Ragechester Senior member

@OccultaVexillum I've eded up here http://fashionologyv2.weebly.com for some shows from the 2000s by Lang, Julius, Damir etc. hasn't been updated in a while but some decent pics, editorial, interviews, and reviews I haven't seen elsewhere