• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*-Gdot - if you don't mind me asking, how much of the VAT are you able to recover at the airport? The reason I ask is because I am planning to pick up a couple of pairs in London in the next few months and my understanding is that the refund companies at the airport take a slice of the VAT to be refunded (so I'm just trying to figure out whether it actually works out cheaper to ask C&J to knock the VAT off in store and then post the shoes out).

All of the VAT is refundable to you as a non UK resident. I believe the rate in the UK is 18%. You fill out your forms - have them approved at the VAT refund office at the airport - mail in your forms (theres a mailbox right at the VAT ofice) and get the refund direct from the gov'mnt. It can take a few months.
C&J will provide you with EVERYTHING you need right there in the store - including a postage paid envelope.'

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming that you are leaving from Heathrow, if you cannot carry on your shoes for some reason, make sure you leave ample time to get your forms stamped. It could take anywhere from 1 - 2 hours at least from the American Airlines Terminal (3?) If you can carry on, there is a VAT office after security where the line is typically shorter. Technically you have to show the goods to the VAT officer for him to stamp your form, but I don't recall him asking for my shoes when I was last there. I think the time before that though, the VAT officer did ask for my goods.

Not a great picture, but there were 60 people in front of me and after waiting an hour I never reached the front of the line.
That's when I found out about the VAT office after the security line.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good information to have. I never check luggage so I always go to the office after security check.

mxgreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

20%, I'm afraid.

VAT is 20% - an item that is £100 prior to imposition of VAT will have a purchase price (after VAT is imposed) of £120. So, to figure out how much VAT you will be getting back multiply the purchase price by 1/6. Or, to figure the ex VAT price of an UK item that is to be shipped directly to the States multiply the purchase price by 5/6.

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

20%, I'm afraid.

You are correct. I was not aware it had been raised from 17.5% to 20% the first of last year. But upon checking I find that HM revenue and customs website is quite clear in this regard. Thank you for pointing that out to me.

Dib

Reaction score
Thanks guys, useful information to have.

Winston S - doesn't sound like you got the full 20% back (i.e. if Drummonds are around GBP320, shouldn't you have got back closer to GBP60)?

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks guys, useful information to have.
Winston S - doesn't sound like you got the full 20% back (i.e. if Drummonds are around GBP320, shouldn't you have got back closer to GBP60)?

Yeah, for some reason there is some sort of administrative surcharge when you submit the VAT refund application.

2.What is Tax Free Shopping?

In the UK, Value Added Tax (VAT) is charged on many goods and services. Tax Free Shopping allows travellers leaving the European Union (EU) to get a VAT refund on goods they buy here and take home. It cannot be used for services.

In most cases, the shop or refund company will charge you a fee for using Tax Free Shopping. They will take the money out of your VAT refund.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/vat/sectors/consumers/overseas-visitors.htm

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great! Now that the tedious details regarding a few pence here and there are dealt with we can resume discussions regarding the shoes. No?

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those who have Chukkas...what model did you go with?

Dark brown Chukkas are next on my list, but I'm not sure on the model and size. :(

Mike Ross

Reaction score
Just received my first pair of C&J today! Dark Brown Edgeware off B&S. They fit well (dare I say perfect), and will hopefully not be my last pair.

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For those who have Chukkas...what model did you go with?
Dark brown Chukkas are next on my list, but I'm not sure on the model and size. :(

I love my Tetburys. Size down a full size e.g. I'm a 8.5 US but I got these in 7.5 UK and the fit is spot on.

IMG_0161.jpg

Just received my first pair of C&J today!  Dark Brown Edgeware off B&S.  They fit well (dare I say perfect), and will hopefully not be my last pair.

Congradulations!:nodding:

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I love my Tetburys. Size down a full size e.g. I'm a 8.5 US but I got these in 7.5 UK and the fit is spot on.
IMG_0161.jpg

Congradulations!:nodding:

I see the Tetbury is on the 348 last. All of my C&J's are on the 337 last. I sized down one full size, from a 8.5 US to a 7.5 UK like you. I was told to only size down .5 for the 348 last. Now I'm not so certain. I love England shoes, but man returning them is not cheap! :(

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I see the Tetbury is on the 348 last. All of my C&J's are on the 337 last. I sized down one full size, from a 8.5 US to a 7.5 UK like you. I was told to only size down .5 for the 348 last. Now I'm not so certain. I love England shoes, but man returning them is not cheap! :(

I was told this also (by a C&J vendor in the U.K.) but after researching various threads here regarding the fit of the Tetbury I decided to size down one full size instead of half a size. That was the right decision for me as my Tetbury's couldn't fit any better. Search for those threads.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads