• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm looking at getting a dark brown suede Chukka. Unfortunately, I don't see one for the last 337, which I really like. What do you suggest as an alternative last? What would be the appropriate size as well in relative to last 337? Thanks in advance.

dandie

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I'm looking at getting a dark brown suede Chukka. Unfortunately, I don't see one for the last 337, which I really like. What do you suggest as an alternative last? What would be the appropriate size as well in relative to last 337? Thanks in advance.

in order of increasing pointiness, your options would appear to be

chertsey or chiltern (224)
chukka (200)
millbank (363)
tetbury (348)

I would say the 363 is closest to the 337

Another consideration is your preference re sole - tetbury and chiltern are on dainite

easy_golfing

Reaction score
Gentlemen of vast C&J knowledge, I am hoping to join the ranks of the C&J owners, however I'm not sure how to handle my 13A feet. I'd like to start with a pair of Hallam or Westbourne on the 348 and I would appreciate some advice from those with more experience. Should I size down a half or a full size to compensate for the (relative) width of the E fitting? My only eperience with an 'elongated' last is the AE 5 with a 13B.
Cheers!

With a narrow foot you should be able to size down a full size at least. You might well be able to size down 1.5 sizes.
The 348 is a long lasted shoe - you've considered how that will work in your larger size?

Is sizing down 1 size to 1.5 sizes a good idea? I recently acquired the RL Marlow wingtips and had to go one full size down to make them fit well. Even though they fit well now, I've read that sizing down that much isn't a good idea. What do you think?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When we are talking sizing down we are referring to the difference between UK and US sizing.

Normally UK sizes run 1/2 to 1 size larger than US. And in some C&J people size down up to 1-1/2 sizes from US to UK size. For instance I wear an 8D US but a 6.5E in Crockett and Jones 348 last.

To size down one and half sizes within the US sizes from your normal US size seems not likely to work - as the distance from heal to arch is likely to be too short. In other words there is more to sizing down than just reducing the overall length and width of the shoe. You also must concerned as to how the heal, arch, and instep work for you. Particularly in length.

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

in order of increasing pointiness, your options would appear to be

chertsey or chiltern (224)
chukka (200)
millbank (363)
tetbury (348)

I would say the 363 is closest to the 337

Another consideration is your preference re sole - tetbury and chiltern are on dainite

Thank you, sir. :)

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up these over the last week or two. Can't wait to break them in.
20r67ur.jpg

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

20r67ur.jpg

If those are Edgewares in 8E, they don't fit you and you want to sell them to me.:nodding:

dandie

Reaction score
20r67ur.jpg

nice - I have the weymouth, and am thinking about the belgrave - looks beautiful

rennavate

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the black ones Audleys or Connaughts? Or Hallams? I'm guessing Audley, right?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads