Proper Cloth - Official Affiliate Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Seph, Feb 14, 2014.

1. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Senior member

eric.......yup I succumbed.......its not even noticeable, the 3rd pleat.......and it helps

strange......but true

2. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

For me, it was never an aesthetic thing. It could be five pleats for all I care lol. I'll definitely give PC a shot with it.

Did you find that the third pleat noticeably changed the cuff opening? I've found them to be rather inconsistent with that.

3. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Senior member

maaaaybe.....and just a very wee bit........looser.......maaaaaybe.....

4. cakv

cakv Senior member

Does anyone have recommendations for a shirt fabric <$105 that is VERY breathable and fairly opaque?

Also, I ordered the Hudson fabric for another shirt and am hoping that one is breathable

5. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Senior member

mercer white pinpoint........solid classic opaque.........great staple to have..it was 120 a few yrs ago

oh..breathable?....what do u mean..most are 100% cotton....

linen of course but most are see thru ish

6. cakv

cakv Senior member

Breathable meaning having a more open weave or something of the sort. I run very hot and live in warmer climate so I'm looking to make a shirt that helps keep me cooler. I'm keeping it at $105 or under.

That is a nice fabric but runs $125/shirt

7. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Senior member

understood

ok..its always a bit hefty

8. aj805

aj805 Senior member

For VERY breathable but also opaque you are talking dark colored linen, and PC has several within your target price.

If you are wanting something white or pale blue and/or passable for office wear you will need to suffer with a linen/cotton blend (such as https://propercloth.com/fabrics/white-cotton-linen-oxford-1883.html), and then they are going to be a bit over your target price.

9. ericgereghty

No experience with it, but broadcloth weave is generally quite breatheable in my estimation. I believe there is an option in your price range for it.

10. cakv

cakv Senior member

Thank you, Gentlemen.

Is it normal to be able to comfortably fit 2-3 fingers in the side of the collar when buttoned up completely but even 1 finger at the front of the collar feels uncomfortable(and even slight tugging)?

I normally order a size 16 collar in other shirt makers but they're usually a tad large(in that when I cinch the tie, it's obvious there is extra room collars on most of my shirts by about 1/3" in circumference. Cinching the tie also cinches the collar, if that makes sense). So for my first shirt I ordered a 15.75 collar and the above is happening. I have actually only washed cold on all my shirts and block dried. Never got noticeable shrinkage in the shirts I own.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017 at 9:04 AM

11. ericgereghty

I'd size up. I've noticed some intense shrinkage in my PC shirts (one of a few issues I have with them). Significantly more so than cheaper shirts I've owned for 5+ years.

12. cakv

cakv Senior member

13. shirtsnob

shirtsnob Senior member

I have several......it is a tight weave......it can be dense ish ..........I love them........but does it breath well?...Id guess it aint the best

14. aj805

aj805 Senior member

I find that the Mercer pinpoints are excellent dress shirt fabrics--they breathe well enough given that they are not an "open" weave, and can look crisp enough. They probably don't fit your requirement of "VERY" breathe-able, however, unless you're looking for something that comparatively wears cooler than, say, flannel, twill, non-iron or polyester.

Also, broadcloths (aka poplin) I do not feel "breathe" well--at least noticeably less than linen or linen/cotton--but are usually found in light weights and so while not ideal aren't bad in the heat.

15. cakv

cakv Senior member

What would you consider a white "open weave" shirt fabric I can wear for CBD?