• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, it was never an aesthetic thing. It could be five pleats for all I care lol. I'll definitely give PC a shot with it.

Did you find that the third pleat noticeably changed the cuff opening? I've found them to be rather inconsistent with that.

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me, it was never an aesthetic thing. It could be five pleats for all I care lol. I'll definitely give PC a shot with it.

Did you find that the third pleat noticeably changed the cuff opening? I've found them to be rather inconsistent with that.

maaaaybe.....and just a very wee bit........looser.......maaaaaybe.....

cakv

Reaction score
Does anyone have recommendations for a shirt fabric <$105 that is VERY breathable and fairly opaque?

Also, I ordered the Hudson fabric for another shirt and am hoping that one is breathable

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mercer white pinpoint........solid classic opaque.........great staple to have..it was 120 a few yrs ago

oh..breathable?....what do u mean..most are 100% cotton....

linen of course but most are see thru ish

cakv

Reaction score
Breathable meaning having a more open weave or something of the sort. I run very hot and live in warmer climate so I'm looking to make a shirt that helps keep me cooler. I'm keeping it at $105 or under.

That is a nice fabric but runs $125/shirt

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No experience with it, but broadcloth weave is generally quite breatheable in my estimation. I believe there is an option in your price range for it.

cakv

Reaction score
Thank you, Gentlemen.

Is it normal to be able to comfortably fit 2-3 fingers in the side of the collar when buttoned up completely but even 1 finger at the front of the collar feels uncomfortable(and even slight tugging)?

I normally order a size 16 collar in other shirt makers but they're usually a tad large(in that when I cinch the tie, it's obvious there is extra room collars on most of my shirts by about 1/3" in circumference. Cinching the tie also cinches the collar, if that makes sense). So for my first shirt I ordered a 15.75 collar and the above is happening. I have actually only washed cold on all my shirts and block dried. Never got noticeable shrinkage in the shirts I own.

Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd size up. I've noticed some intense shrinkage in my PC shirts (one of a few issues I have with them). Significantly more so than cheaper shirts I've owned for 5+ years.

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several......it is a tight weave......it can be dense ish ..........I love them........but does it breath well?...Id guess it aint the best

aj805

Reaction score
I find that the Mercer pinpoints are excellent dress shirt fabrics--they breathe well enough given that they are not an "open" weave, and can look crisp enough. They probably don't fit your requirement of "VERY" breathe-able, however, unless you're looking for something that comparatively wears cooler than, say, flannel, twill, non-iron or polyester.

Also, broadcloths (aka poplin) I do not feel "breathe" well--at least noticeably less than linen or linen/cotton--but are usually found in light weights and so while not ideal aren't bad in the heat.

cakv

Reaction score
What would you consider a white "open weave" shirt fabric I can wear for conservative business dress?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads