• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prometheus (Ridley Scott's Alien "Prequel" )

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

Matrix was idiotic. The sci-fi was ridiculous - machines caring for humans to harvest the electricity of their brain waves? That's one of the dumbest premises ever. The action scenes were somewhat revolutionary for a mass-market film, although you could argue The Crow was similar, just on a smaller scale.

Though our neurons do store and fire electricity like capacitors, if I'm not mistaken I think what was harvested from the matrix's occupants were called BTUs which are, according to Wikipedia, a unit of measurement called British Thermal Units. But, I'm not sure the particulars are really that relevant. The Matrix was about how institutions (especially corporations and governments) control people by controlling how those people perceive the world in order for the institutions to maintain control and power. The "human fields" were just to further imbue the point that controlled people are power to those in control and how divergent those people's ideas about reality are from actual reality. That setting also allows Neo to go through the motions of Plato's Allegory of the Cave.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_Cave

Last edited:

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
AvP deconstructed both franchises and revolutionized sci-fi action for a new generation. The special effects and set-pieces were something we, as an audience, hadn't seen before. I will admit to its flaws (for instance, the human characters were hit-and-miss) but overall, it brought the entire mythology full circle.

Last edited:

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

Quote:

I agree with this. Aliens is dated, but Alien still holds up in the same way that Blade Runner does. Don't get me wrong, Aliens is a good, fun movie, but it's not an important movie.

Aliens didn't break any visual ground that wasn't already broken by the first movie. (Okay, putting machine guns on steadicam rigs was pretty cool.) Besides, Alien had this guy as the concept designer.

The guys who rank AvP over these two films need to be banned for a month. 

lefty

... you know... that's how I'd imagine H.R. Giger to look.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

AvP deconstructed both franchises and revolutionized sci-fi action for a new generation. The special effects and set-pieces were something we, as an audience, hadn't seen before. I will admit to its flaws (for instance, the human characters were hit-and-miss) but overall, it brought the entire mythology full circle.

I hope you're mocking me.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Aliens and Matrix were not science fiction, they were action movies. If you think they were science fiction you're a ******* dummy. All reasonable people agree on this.

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's why your generation is garbage and has nothing to offer. Enjoy a world without cigarettes or alcohol or red meat or contact sports.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To the naysayers, this generation has offered a slew of revolutionary sci-fi action films including Terminator: Salvation, Inception, and Source Code in addition to AvP.

Your generation has stuff like this:

ifs9c4.jpg

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

There is nothing substantial about your post. I will admit that your post is a post, though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_fiction
Look at the criteria. The Matrix and Alien films are inarguably science fiction.

Science fiction is a genre of fiction dealing with imaginary but more or less plausible (or at least non-supernatural)

Lol. I will admit I was always more into the humanities but even I know aliens and matrix are not in any way plausible.

Last edited:

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score

Science fiction is a genre of fiction dealing with imaginary but more or less plausible (or at least non-supernatural)

Lol. I will admit I was always more into the humanities but even I know aliens and matrix are not in any way plausible.

Do you have schizophrenia?

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads