• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre-owned Barbours in London

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Volcano willing, I have a few days coming up in the UK. Does anyone have suggestions as to where I might find second-hand Barbours in London? I don't really want to buy a new one as I will just thrash it anyway.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not too sure about second hand but there is a Barbour outlet at freeport Braintree which isn't too far from London. Might be worth a visit.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come on, UK members, you must have your sources! These things -- allegedly -- are indestructible and last forever. Surely there must be a fair number of them about.

Does anyone know if this is the kind of thing you might find in Old Hat or in Hornets? Is there, perhaps, some second-hand hunting/fishing/equestrian emporium that stocks these by the barrow load?

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always buy mine new, so no help there.

There are second hand (charity) shops on most London high streets and I'm sure these'll turn up something, especially in the 'Sloaney'/Chelsea/Fulham areas...

fox81

Reaction score
i cant say ive seen too many for sale second hand.

there are lots of markets which sell second hand clothing, like portobello road and spitafields but i find them grossly overpriced.

black cat

Reaction score
Try hornets. They have a shop selling tweed (and some barbours) on kensignton church street, also they have nice second hand suits and things in their other branch. If you're around on saturday there are also sometimes some at the clothes bits of portobello market.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You could try a vintage shop, like "beyond vintage", I haven't been in any of the London vintage shops but the ones I went into edinburgh often had barbours. The markets (I would add camden\\ market to the list) and charity shops mentioned might be worth checking but honestly you are probably just better off buying new.

Unless you are lucky enough to find one in a charity shop you will pay a fair bit for a second hand one, as mentioned the markets are overpriced as are the vintage shops and you will probably have to spend a long time browsing. The classic barbours are not that expensive, especially when you consider how long they last, the barbour international and designer collaborations cost more, but then you are pretty unlikely to find one second hand.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's a good place to buy Barbour online which deducts VAT as well ....

Also how does the duralinen fabric compare to the waxed cotton. A lot of stores are only selling the duralinen with the waxed cotton being rather difficult to locate

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd agree with the above comments. You're probably only likely to find a used Barbour in areas where the prices will be marked up to such an extent that you'd be better off buying new.

Spend the extra few quid and get one from the outlet.

PaulSLH

Reaction score
Camden Market will definitely have some somewhere, wouldn't be suprised if they were charging anywhere between £40 and £80 for them though.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
eBay for sure.

But be careful that the game pocket wasn't actually used as intended (for game!) if you buy a used one.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bounder
Volcano willing, I have a few days coming up in the UK. Does anyone have suggestions as to where I might find second-hand Barbours in London? I don't really want to buy a new one as I will just thrash it anyway.

Why do you want to buy a second-hand Barbour in London?

It is quite a strange request...

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
What's a good place to buy Barbour online which deducts VAT as well ....

Also how does the duralinen fabric compare to the waxed cotton. A lot of stores are only selling the duralinen with the waxed cotton being rather difficult to locate

countryattire.co.uk has waxed cotton and deducts VAT.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads