1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Post Pictures of Your Turntable and Audio Gear Here

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Artisan Fan, Jan 14, 2011.

1. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

I also have a Lyra Dorian mono with a separate arm for mono playback.
    Nice. Heard this mono masterpiece? [​IMG]

2. OakCliff

OakCliff Well-Known Member

Nice.

Heard this mono masterpiece?

[​IMG]

No, I haven't heard that one, but Quiet Kenny is one of my favorites.

[​IMG]

3. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

4. Artisan Fan

What do you power your 1.6s with? I would like to try tubes or an OTL eventually. I do pull them out a little and toe them in when listening critically, they are such great speakers they sound really good no matter what the placement.

I have an Audio Research VT-100 tube amp which works great. I also use a Nelson Pass designed Forte which is terrific. I keep them 3 feet from the back wall and side walls.

It is a ZYX Airy 3. I also have a Lyra Dorian mono with a separate arm for mono playback. The rest of the components for this setup are a VAC Avatar Super integrated amp with a Bent Audio TX-103 Mu Step Up transformer, Theil Audio CS-2.2 speakers, Alesis Masterlink ML-9600 CD Recorder, and Scott Nixon Tube DAC USBTD/4XAC DA Converter for direct connection to a Mac for iTunes playback.

Great gear. I really enjoy my Lyra Argo i.

5. Based

Based New Member

Hello styleforvm, very long time reader first time po(a)ster.

I was induced to finally join because I thought I would ask the knowledgeable folks here of their opinion on the purchase of the following package from newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboD...o.590801&nm_mc

In summary:
    1. Onkyo TX-SR608: $379.00
    2. Klipsch RC-52 II: $349.99
    3. Klipsch RW-12d: $499.99
    4. Klipsch RF-52 II B: $349.00
    5. Klipsch RF-52 II B: $349.00
    6. Klipsch RB-51 II: $399.99
    Combo Discount: -$926.98
    Combo Price: $1,399.99

A little info about myself: I am currently in school for an advanced degree with several years left and I don't honestly foresee myself living in anything but within an apartment setting for the next couple of years. As such, I was interested in purchasing these as more of an item for 'future needs' (they would be in their boxes at my parents' house until then). I would by no means consider myself on any magnitude an audiophile, but I do appreciate nice luxuries and I don't mind applying my student-level (read: loan money) budget to quality items/ purchases. I would be using this set for home theatre purposes and casual listening of various musical genres.

Common sense says that technology items are rarely future-proof but I've read that a quality audio rig is an exception to that logic. Again, I have no experience in the world of audiophilia and I don't really expect to get bit by the upgrade bug (as evidenced by other personal interests). Long story short, is this a good purchase on a cost:quality ratio and worth my monies, or would something cheaper/in the future/not this better suit my needs? Genuine thanks all in advance for your replies.

6. Based

Based New Member

ps. Tax would be included as well, making the total package around $1500 shipped to CA.

And so begins the descent into member-based readership...

7. audiophilia

audiophilia Senior member

No, I haven't heard that one, but Quiet Kenny is one of my favorites.

[​IMG]

Another gem. [​IMG]

8. Artisan Fan

Common sense says that technology items are rarely future-proof but I've read that a quality audio rig is an exception to that logic. Again, I have no experience in the world of audiophilia and I don't really expect to get bit by the upgrade bug (as evidenced by other personal interests). Long story short, is this a good purchase on a cost:quality ratio and worth my monies, or would something cheaper/in the future/not this better suit my needs? Genuine thanks all in advance for your replies.

My honest opinion:

1. I don't like Klipsch until you get to the La Scalas or higher and even then only with very high end amps.

2. For this money you can do much better. Do you need 5.1 sound? Because given the apartment comment, I would recommend you strongly consider a two channel system. You can stretch the dollar more effectively in terms of sound quality if you do two channel.

9. robotosan

robotosan Active Member

I have the harman kardon soundsticks that I use with my computer and would like to also use with my turntable. But when i plug in them up I loose my sub and the sound goes flat. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a receiver or another way to fix this?

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow - there is some seriously beautiful gear in here. Someday when funding permits, I'd like to get a tube amp and a nice turntable. Here's my set-up at the moment. Basically I've had this same set-up since I was about 17, though the turntable has replaced and upgraded through the years. - Toshiba M12 mini-stereo components. Power amplifier and pre-amp. $10 at a yard sale, if memory serves correctly. - Rogers LS3/5a monitors. Early serial numbers. Matched pair. $3/piece at the thrift store. These suckers were stone mint when I bought them. Not a ding on them. Probably had the original box too when they came in. Sadly, they probably tossed the box. They're still in exceptional condition for their age. - NAD turntable. Rebadged Rega Planar 2. Grado (I forget what model) cartridge. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. Based

Based New Member

My honest opinion:

1. I don't like Klipsch until you get to the La Scalas or higher and even then only with very high end amps.

2. For this money you can do much better. Do you need 5.1 sound? Because given the apartment comment, I would recommend you strongly consider a two channel system. You can stretch the dollar more effectively in terms of sound quality if you do two channel.

My wallet and I thank you for your input AF (and sorry for the slight derail in discourse), that's what I was looking for. A two channel system would probably be a better fit given my circumstances, as I'm sure there are many options that will please my only somewhat discerning audio preferences.

12. Artisan Fan

My wallet and I thank you for your input AF (and sorry for the slight derail in discourse), that's what I was looking for. A two channel system would probably be a better fit given my circumstances, as I'm sure there are many options that will please my only somewhat discerning audio preferences.
    There are lots of great monitor type speakers in your price range. Look at AudioEngine, PSB, Paradigm, Epos, etc. You can also get Magnepan MMGs for around $550 per pair direct. Add in a decent integrated amp like an NAD 365BEE and you have a great foundation.

13. SpallaCamiccia

SpallaCamiccia Senior member

[​IMG]

Here is a picture with some of my old gear.

14. Artisan Fan

^What is that? It looks more like a computer than a stereo.

15. SpallaCamiccia

^What is that? It looks more like a computer than a stereo.
    Modular analogue synthesisers from the 70s, Minimoog, EMS VCS3, ARP 2600 ( can be listen in Jean MICHEL Jarre Oxygene, in dark side of the moon by Pink floyd , Vangelis Blade Runner and so on) I collect them.

16. Artisan Fan

My first thought when I read that was the synthesizer on Dark Side of the Moon. Cool stuff.

17. SpallaCamiccia

My first thought when I read that was the synthesizer on Dark Side of the Moon. Cool stuff.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. Pezzaturra

Pezzaturra Senior member

My VPI Scoutmaster

[​IMG]

Cables appear to be touching the record.

19. Artisan Fan

Cables appear to be touching the record.

It may just be the camera angle.

20. OakCliff

OakCliff Well-Known Member

It may just be the camera angle.
    It was just the camera angle. I just double checked and everything looks good.