• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^ Several guys who are a lot more knowledgeable about watches than I am have commented a few pages ago on the quality of Parnis. I can tell you that I have to wind it manually after a couple of days, though it seems to have a movement that winds the watch when I move around (not sure if that's a good use of the term "movement"). It seems to keep decent time, too. Apparently some of them are Seagull movements, some aren't. I couldn't tell you why one is better than the other, but the consensus seems to be that Seagull=better.

Any mechanism that makes a watch tick is called a movement; this includes quartz, manual (hand wind), and automatic (which uses a rotor to wind the watch with motion). The guts of a digital watch are called modules. If you can wind the watch by shaking it it is automatic otherwise it is manual. Seagull movements are OK for what they are but I would not expect them to last for more than a few years if that.

Last edited:

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of reasonably priced watches to add to the thread:

I bought one of these for my son. I liked it so much that I ended up buying one for myself too. (Seiko model SNP005P $350 on Amazon.)

It's got the Seiko Kinetic automatic/quartz movement that recharges when you move, sort of a mix of a mechanical automatic movement and a quartz movement. I got it for my son in part because it has a perpetual calendar, so he doesn't have to worry about setting it or messing with it once it's been set.

I've been wearing it a lot.

This is the second Seiko I've owned. The other one is a Seiko Alpinist, which has a traditional mechanical automatic movement.

Last edited:

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A couple of reasonably priced watches to add to the thread:
I bought one of these for my son. I liked it so much that I ended up buying one for myself too. (Seiko model SNP005P $350 on Amazon.)
It's got the Seiko Kinetic automatic/quartz movement that recharges when you move, sort of a mix of a mechanical automatic movement and a quartz movement. I got it for my son in part because it has a perpetual calendar, so he doesn't have to worry about setting it or messing with it once it's been set.
I've been wearing it a lot.

This is the second Seiko I've owned. The other one is a Seiko Alpinist, which has a traditional mechanical automatic movement.

Big fan of the Seiko Alpinist

jawboneofa

Reaction score

where did you fellas get your straps? looking at a few on the ebay but there's also sites like this: http://www.thewatchbarn.com/cart/military_straps/0711060554.aspx
Any tips?
Cheers

I got mine here. The leather seems pretty nice...nothing like that horween NATO you can get at Leffot, but it's going on a Parnis. The one thing I did struggle with was getting the strap under the pins. Between the leather's thickness and Parnis' short lugs, the strap barely cleared the pin holes. Even so, I had to force the pins back on, and think I may have bent them in doing so. Oh well. I'm not changing the strap out and they don't seem in danger of breaking. You just might want to know before you purchase the same strap.

AlwaysDressed

Reaction score

Got this Timex at Target around 4 years ago for about $85. The face is some sort of dark charcoal color, which seems to compliment everything/pick up ambient color quite handsomely. I work in a service industry job (gee, wonder why I checked out the Po' Folk Watch Thread?) & this thing has taken an absolute thrashing on a daily basis. I offer it as another example of a quality watch that can be had for cheap, while still looking great casually & (in a pinch) more dressed up. I get compliments on it all the time. Anyway, I really appreciate this thread as I'm in the market for a slightly dressier watch, but still on a budget. What a great sampling of options!
After seeing this post, I went on the hunt for this Timex watch. I was not able to find the exact watch but I got close. I walked into a random watch repair shop and what was sitting there on the shelf...
6286514855_82a02b64c6_b.jpg
6286677177_49d212bace_o.jpg

Last edited:

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
gonna post here before making a separate thread about this...
i am about to buy a baume & mercier classima executive automatic model 8591
42mm face with very clean chronograph dials
http://www.flickr.com/photos/coaspak/4507227596/

http://www.jomashop.com/baume-mercier-8591.html

beautiful watch
tried it on in store last weekend and i'm pretty set on getting it now

i know i know... "it's not a poor man's watch" someone might say...
but i have an opportunity to buy it used from a friend (less than 6 months old with box and papers) for a great price
way under $2k so i think it qualifies to be in this thread

just wanted some opinions on the watch
and also where are some good forums to check for used watch prices?
i just looked on timezone and watchuseek and another ... and only saw like 2 old listings for this watch

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

gonna post here before making a separate thread about this...
i am about to buy a baume & mercier classima executive automatic model 8591
42mm face with very clean chronograph dials
http://www.flickr.com/photos/coaspak/4507227596/

http://www.jomashop.com/baume-mercier-8591.html

beautiful watch
tried it on in store last weekend and i'm pretty set on getting it now

i know i know... "it's not a poor man's watch" someone might say...
but i have an opportunity to buy it used from a friend (less than 6 months old with box and papers) for a great price
way under $2k so i think it qualifies to be in this thread

just wanted some opinions on the watch
and also where are some good forums to check for used watch prices?
i just looked on timezone and watchuseek and another ... and only saw like 2 old listings for this watch

Fifty bucks?

B|aze

Reaction score

Any mechanism that makes a watch tick is called a movement; this includes quartz, manual (hand wind), and automatic (which uses a rotor to wind the watch with motion). The guts of a digital watch are called modules. If you can wind the watch by shaking it it is automatic otherwise it is manual. Seagull movements are OK for what they are but I would not expect them to last for more than a few years if that.

On what basis do you say that a sea-gull movement shouldn't last more than a few years?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads