• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paypal dispute

kolecho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I received some goods that I paid through Paypal that are not as described. The eBay seller is not responding. I have two ways to deal with this.

1) File a buyer complaint with Paypal.
2) File a charge dispute with my credit card company.

I can only pursue one of the options, but not both. What worries me about option 1 is Paypal does not guarantee full recovery of funds if seller has insufficient funds in his account. Option 2 means that the transaction is frozen and I need not pay for the credit card bill until an outcome is heard.

Any experiences on these options would be useful. Thanks.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kolecho
I received some goods that I paid through Paypal that are not as described. The eBay seller is not responding. I have two ways to deal with this.

I can only pursue one of the options, but not both. What worries me about option 1 is Paypal does not guarantee full recovery of funds if seller has insufficient funds in his account. Option 2 means that the transaction is frozen and I need not pay for the credit card bill until an outcome is heard.

Any experiences on these options would be useful. Thanks.

Definitely #2. Your CC company will treat you better than Paypal in almost all cases.

Lysol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Definitely #2. Your CC company will treat you better than Paypal in almost all cases.

+1

Though, if successful, the PayPal process will be much quicker. Your CC company is gonna send you some forms in the mail, you have to fill them out, fax them back, wait...but in the end you'll get your money back. PayPal is a crap shoot but you could get your money back in a day or two. Couldn't hurt to do both.

Lysol

Reaction score
Can't do both, since a CC complaint overrides Paypal complaint.

Seller finally responded, asking me to send the item back for a refund, still insisting that the item is as described (which it is not). I will send it back tomorrow and see.

what i've done in the past is file a dispute with paypal. if i'm not satisfied with the results in a week's time, i call my CC company. it just gives paypal that extra little push to actually do something about it.
smile.gif

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I once filed a complain with Paypal and PP sided with me. However, PP couldn't refund my money because there's no money available at the seller account. So I filed a dispute claim with my CC and got my money back.

billiebob

Reaction score
Doesn't the CC company (at least in my case) immediately refund the money and then open an investigation? If they don't agree that you're in the right, then the chargeback would be reversed.

Check you CC company's chargeback time limit. It may be around 45-60 days, or sometimes even longer. You can start by going through Paypal, and if they haven't resolved the case in time, go to the CC company.

Has anyone had an experience (as a buyer) where they chargedback an item that was not as described (such as fake), and had a problem with their CC?

In cases of outright fraud, you should go to your CC immediately, because it's highly unlikely that the seller/fraudster is qualified for Paypal "Buyer protection", or there is any money left in the account.

oldseed

Reaction score

i know that everyone's experience with paypal differs. however, i have filed some complaitns with paypal, and all of them have worked out well, with full refunds. i suggest you file the complaint BEFORE the time limitation is up. if your seller has told you he'll give u refund pending receipt of item, you should still file the paypal complaint, and when the refund is doled out, then remove the complaint.

seed

Badrabbit

Reaction score
Paypal will sometimes cancel your account if you do a chargeback through the credit card without using their dispute system first.

In addition, Paypal gives the seller 30 days to respond to the dispute. Some of the shadier bunch will actually keep your money until the 29th day and then refund it. This has happened to me twice where it was obvious from negative feedback (all of it came in after my purchase) that the seller was using funds from people as a sort of short term no-interest financing. He basically got to keep people's money for 60 days (the 30 before the dispute was filed + the 30 days of the dispute) with no penalty.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
Hi, sorry to revive an old thread, but I just recently bought Dr. Dre the Beats headphones for a friend on ebay but they turned out to be fake, but the problem is, I used my debit card. I have contacted the seller, but he has yet to respond. Should I file the dispute now or should I wait a few more days? It's been about a week since I ordered the item and it arrived this morning. Thank you for your help.

SlamMan

Reaction score
File with PayPal. Even with all the horror stories they're still very buyer friendly.

cross22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doesn't paypal's user agreement now prohibit a CC (or debit card) dispute? I heard you can no longer CC dispute a paypal purchase...

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cross22
Doesn't paypal's user agreement now prohibit a CC (or debit card) dispute? I heard you can no longer CC dispute a paypal purchase...
by law (the Truth in Lending Act), consumers who pay via credit card have a right to dispute a charge. Paypal cannot put an unlawful provision in their user agreement

surfnbank

Reaction score
I had a dispute with a computer awhile back and paypal took about 2 months to do it but they did refund all of my funds. Generally doing it quickly will help resolve it a bit quicker. Generally this is the case if they mailed a physical check so they can cancel it as they did the one they sent for my payment. I haven't had to deal with the CC yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads