• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pattern contest. Prize: Kent Wang pocket square.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brownshoe
Upper-Class Twit of the Year, 3rd Runner-up
Oh my, a houndstooth umbrella! I have a friend that collects all things houndstooth. Overall, superb use of patterns. All very sedate. I bet a layman wouldn't even notice that you're wearing all patterns.

Brownshoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang

Overall, superb use of patterns. All very sedate. I bet a layman wouldn't even notice that you're wearing all patterns.

Thank you! My strategy exactly.

I tend to approach dressing more as realizing a unified, evocative aesthetic (I'm not a "I love trad for its timeless formality and proud tradition" guy--I just like the style, like to play with it, get into character, take Eisenhower-era repressed nerdiness to the point that it becomes a quirkily attractive, interesting, witty personal style. That's the goal.

...as opposed to basing an elegant ensemble around an incredible tie or pair of shoes, achieving highest quality and perfect fit, culling the best of the cutting edge--an aproach that tends to yield the most impressive, accomplished, impeccable results, I must admit.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Brownshoe.

Here is an attempt to mix 4 different stripe patterns. I think it works out reasonably well given the colors and differences in scale but you be the judge.

The suit is a standard 3B charcoal pinstripe; the shirt has narrow dove grey and lavender stripes; the tie (pardon the crappy knot) has wider dark plum/burgundy and lavender stripes; and the cotton square has purple and white stripes with lime green pick stitched edges (I really like it but don't wear it as often as I'd like)

img3076yg9.jpg

gj555

Reaction score
Mine is extremely subtle and conservative as I decided to put together something that I could actually wear to work. That said, I still managed to mix 4 different patterns.

Pinstripe suite
Blue prince of wales shirt (you can't see the blue pattern in the photo) with large red checks
tie with geometric diamonds
Blue with white pin dots pocket square

forcont.jpg

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
Edmorel Rocks!!! Geez, those combos are great.

I prefer Ed #1.
then #2.
His ensembles have a proper flow about them and he avoids looking like an extra in a musical.
Always well thought out with most of the rules, yet with modern day cool
marchal.gif
worship.gif

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Well, here is what I threw together. Pardon the shirts as they just came out of the dryer and pardon the lack of detail in some pics as my expert fotog (8 year old son) is in bed. Some loud, some moderate, some sedate. Please be gentle. I'm disqualifying myself as I won't make first or second and I own the third and fourth place prizes.
KIF_5190.jpg

Nice Green Jacket Ed !!
smile.gif

PS. when the brown one arrives you can surely put together a winning combination !

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Fun contest! I'm now wishing I hadn't sold off nearly all my patterned squares. I think I'm going to have to test multiple combinations before making my final entries. Like so:

pattern1nj3.jpg

pattern2yj8.jpg

pattern3cp2.jpg

pattern4ob0.jpg

pattern5rh7.jpg

pattern6um3.jpg

pattern7vj8.jpg

Maybe we should start a testing one two three thread. Number 6 is my favorite so far.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This thread is just SO much fun.

OK, I wasn't pleased with the lack of good multi-pattern ensembles in my own photo archive, so I thought I'd push the boat out today with a new entry. Wore this into work today, so I had to keep it relatively restrained overall, despite the multiple patterns. Mind you, it still got a fair few comments (mainly for the bowtie, admittedly).

If you count the annular design of the cufflinks, I think that's 6 patterns combined - polka tie, windowpane suit, striped shirt, pindot socks, circular abstract design square (thanks Kent!), annular cufflinks.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
I had my head tilted forward due to how I was taking pics. There is no double chin!!!

A little defensive there, Eduardo. I was referencing a multitude of (other) contestants.....
teacha.gif

ps - hey, quadruple digits!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads