• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paleo diet

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Is he making one with a Paleo option? Please to advise.
Actually, cooking sous vide would be welcomed highly by the Paleo folks. Searing meats at high temperatures may cause carcinogenic agents called heterocyclic amines to be produced on the skeletal muscle; that's why they advocate eating meat cooked at low temperatures, such as sous vide. But who the hell wants to eat sous vide pork belly with flabby skin?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
my understanding of heterocyclic and polycylic amines is that while they are dangerous to rodents in ridiculous amounts no connection has been shown in population studies and in vivo studies were inconclusive also while hcas and pcas are carcinogenic, maillard reactions produce molecules that are antioxidative. i know i keep bombarding you with more articles, but i've been following this blog for awhile and there's good information written more sources and brevity than i could write. http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-...ooked-1e.shtml this is from the government (gasp!) http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f...k/cooked-meats

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indesertum
my understanding of heterocyclic and polycylic amines is that while they are dangerous to rodents in ridiculous amounts no connection has been shown in population studies and in vivo studies were inconclusive also while hcas and pcas are carcinogenic, maillard reactions produce molecules that are antioxidative. i know i keep bombarding you with more articles, but i've been following this blog for awhile and there's good information written more sources and brevity than i could write. http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-...ooked-1e.shtml this is from the government (gasp!) http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f...k/cooked-meats
I agree. It's really not something I worry too much over.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
Actually, cooking sous vide would be welcomed highly by the Paleo folks. Searing meats at high temperatures may cause carcinogenic agents called heterocyclic amines to be produced on the skeletal muscle; that's why they advocate eating meat cooked at low temperatures, such as sous vide. But who the hell wants to eat sous vide pork belly with flabby skin?

nod[1].gif

Originally Posted by Piobaire
Please for to advise: I shall be crisping up some pork belly confit I made last weekend. Does the sous vide machine remove the paleo?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
PALEO DIET

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nicola
The problem with that is explaining why develop agriculture?

If you think of the amount of work required to hand clear a field. Plant grains. Plus everything up to the harvest. Why would anybody do all that work without already eating grains?

It wasn't like they went to the local supermarket flirted with the cute sample girl. Tried the grains and thought this would be good.

It's no different then keeping animals. At some point somebody decided it was easier to keep animals then to hunt.

They weren't running corn fed cattle ranches so needed the grains for animal feed.

true, but the qualifier is "much"- people were eating some grains, really hard to quantify, but you have to figure that it was only for a few weeks a year at the most, before agriculture. my understanding is that one of the features that was bred into domestic grain was storability, that natural grains fall of the stalks and start deteriorating.

100 years ago, and in much of the world today, grains are 90% of most people's diets. that is not how we evolved.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it might not have been how we ate 10000 bc to 2.6 mill years ago, but this is really no argument. you would have to show that grains are harmful to the modern human. simply because it wasnt available for human consumption a long long time ago doesnt necessarily mean its harmful for humans today

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
it might not have been how we ate 10000 bc to 2.6 mill years ago, but this is really no argument. you would have to show that grains are harmful to the modern human. simply because it wasnt available for human consumption a long long time ago doesnt necessarily mean its harmful for humans today

Never-mind the fact that the argument is based on a false assumption that humans stopped evolving roughly when the Paleolithic age ended. This is completely incorrect, as evolution is an ongoing process and is still happening today.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you would have to show that grains are harmful to the modern human.
Celiac disease?
Originally Posted by JMRouse
Never-mind the fact that the argument is based on a false assumption that humans stopped evolving roughly when the Paleolithic age ended. This is completely incorrect, as evolution is an ongoing process and is still happening today.
I've never heard anyone make such an argument.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can we all stop pretending that humans of this period were somehow to be idealized? The average lifespan was in the 30's. Modern humans live far longer and healthier lives. That's with our genetically modified, non organic, processed foods and all.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mm84321
I've never heard anyone make such an argument.

Saying that humans evolved to eat a diet similar to our ancestors of the Paleolithic age, is making that argument. It assumes that we have not been adapting since to the modern diet.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sorry double post.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can we all stop pretending that humans of this period were somehow to be idealized? The average lifespan was in the 30's. Modern humans live far longer and healthier lives. That's with our genetically modified, non organic, processed foods and all.
The only real part of our ancestor's lives I think anyone is trying to idealize is their diet, which is certainly not the reason they may have had a lower life expectancy than modern day man. This can be attributed to the vicissitudes of living in nature, the dangers of hunting/predators, infant mortality rates, and a lack of acute medical care. They did not die of coronary heart disease and type 2 diabetes from the food that they ate. While it may be true that they had a shorter total life span, it was probably a healthier one than that those of typical Americans today: quality vs quantity. Today, we may be living older, but we are also dying longer.

mm84321

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saying that humans evolved to eat a diet similar to our ancestors of the Paleolithic age, is making that argument. It assumes that we have not been adapting since to the modern diet.
No, it does not. At some point humans very well will adapt to any diet necessary to survive by way of evolution, however, 2 million years of eating plants and animals vs 10,000 years of agriculture does not allow adequate time for us to be fully capable of adapting to such a diet. Relatively speaking, grain products in the human diet are a novelty. We simply haven't had enough time.

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
400 years ago most people's diets consisted mostly of carbs and they weren't as likely to be obese as we are. We just have so much productive ability and food is so cheap for us that we find it easy to eat too much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads