Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Opinion on penny loafers

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by MilanoStyle, Oct 22, 2004.

1. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

What do you think guys? Can a well dressed young man look sleek and modern with penny loafers?

2. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

As an advocate of the penny loafer, I will say "well dressed" most certainly yes. "Sleek and modern" somewhat debatable. There are some Italian versions or even, say, Crockett & Jones that have more sleekness than the traditional Alden version. You might want to look in those directions. I have an Alden penny on my (overly long) "to get" list.

Addendum: It's interesting that you would associate the penny loafer with "old man" as it is traditionally a campus shoe for students.

3. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Of course, as long as it is the Weston 180 "Reference".

4. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

5. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

Black penny loafers seem more up-to-date than cordovan if you're looking for a "younger" look (and mine are cordovan--oh no--I'm an old man.)

6. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

I am happy to see their are older men like myself on this website. Both the burgundy and black shell cordovan penny loafer made by alden is a good shoe;however, in my company penny loafers do not go with a business suit.

7. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

I agree with Michaelw--no penny loafers with suits.

8. MilanoStyle

Really? Then what sort of pants do you wear with penny loafer? I was thinking of wearing wool dress pants/suits.

9. oscarthewild

oscarthewild Senior member

Loafers are for "loafing". That is, notT working. Why would you wear them to the workplace?

10. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

anything from wool slacks down, just not with a suit. see contra miami vice.

11. spatten

spatten Senior member

I think wool pants are fine with the penny loafer. Many people probably will wear chinos. I might even say a casual suit is possible - but a business or dress look should be paired with lace up. I think this is a fairly prevelant rule that probably should be obeyed - the loafer just doesn't have the presence of a lace-up.

Scott

12. MilanoStyle

When it comes to formality of shoes, I look at the toe style / texture of the shoes, not whether sheoes are laced or loafer.

But then I am not kind of person who like to obey 'traditional' way of doing things. When i get my penny loafer, and if it looks good with suits, I'll wear with suits.

Thanks for your opinions reguardless.

13. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

are we going to start this whole tired discussion again about loafers and suits? I usually wouldn't wear penny loafers (or other loafers) with suits, but many people do, and I wouldn't really feel underdressed in doing it, I just prefer the aesthetic of laceups, perhaps I will start going the loafer route for fun.

14. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

I don't mean to prolong this, but this thread has started me thinking. I don't wear penny loafers with a suit, but I do wear tasseled loafers and tasseled slip ons with suits. Any thoughts on that?

15. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

(MilanoStyle @ 22 Oct. 2004, 3:24) What do you think guys? Can a well dressed young man look sleek and modern with penny loafers?
    Of course, as long as it is the Weston 180 "Reference".
    Or JL Paris's Lopez or Campus or EG's Harrow or Vass's Slipper or... Lots of very nice penny loafers out there. The Martegani version that RIDER linked to is attractive, but I like the brown version better.