• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion on penny loafers

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you think guys? Can a well dressed young man look sleek and modern with penny loafers?

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
As an advocate of the penny loafer, I will say "well dressed" most certainly yes. "Sleek and modern" somewhat debatable. There are some Italian versions or even, say, Crockett & Jones that have more sleekness than the traditional Alden version. You might want to look in those directions. I have an Alden penny on my (overly long) "to get" list.

Addendum: It's interesting that you would associate the penny loafer with "old man" as it is traditionally a campus shoe for students.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you think guys?  Can a well dressed young man look sleek and modern with penny loafers?
Of course, as long as it is the Weston 180 "Reference".

johnw86

Reaction score
Black penny loafers seem more up-to-date than cordovan if you're looking for a "younger" look (and mine are cordovan--oh no--I'm an old man.)

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am happy to see their are older men like myself on this website. Both the burgundy and black shell cordovan penny loafer made by alden is a good shoe;however, in my company penny loafers do not go with a business suit.

johnw86

Reaction score
I agree with Michaelw--no penny loafers with suits.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Michaelw--no penny loafers with suits.
Really? Then what sort of pants do you wear with penny loafer? I was thinking of wearing wool dress pants/suits.

oscarthewild

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loafers are for "loafing". That is, notT working. Why would you wear them to the workplace?

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anything from wool slacks down, just not with a suit. see contra miami vice.

spatten

Reaction score
I think wool pants are fine with the penny loafer. Many people probably will wear chinos. I might even say a casual suit is possible - but a business or dress look should be paired with lace up. I think this is a fairly prevelant rule that probably should be obeyed - the loafer just doesn't have the presence of a lace-up.

Scott

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When it comes to formality of shoes, I look at the toe style / texture of the shoes, not whether sheoes are laced or loafer.

But then I am not kind of person who like to obey 'traditional' way of doing things. When i get my penny loafer, and if it looks good with suits, I'll wear with suits.

Thanks for your opinions reguardless.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
are we going to start this whole tired discussion again about loafers and suits? I usually wouldn't wear penny loafers (or other loafers) with suits, but many people do, and I wouldn't really feel underdressed in doing it, I just prefer the aesthetic of laceups, perhaps I will start going the loafer route for fun.

johnw86

Reaction score
I don't mean to prolong this, but this thread has started me thinking. I don't wear penny loafers with a suit, but I do wear tasseled loafers and tasseled slip ons with suits. Any thoughts on that?

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
(MilanoStyle @ 22 Oct. 2004, 3:24) What do you think guys? Can a well dressed young man look sleek and modern with penny loafers?
Of course, as long as it is the Weston 180 "Reference".
Or JL Paris's Lopez or Campus or EG's Harrow or Vass's Slipper or... Lots of very nice penny loafers out there. The Martegani version that RIDER linked to is attractive, but I like the brown version better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics