• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinion on penny loafers

Dan G

Reaction score
I'm 23 and I dig penny loafers quite a bit. I have a brown pair of C&J Scotch-grain loafers that are quite casual, but I also have a black pair of Grensons that are very dressy. I would wear the Grensons with a suit.

kidkim2

Reaction score
Flusser's marvelous book--no need to read it, just look at the pix--has several remarkable pictures of penny loafers: Jimmy Stewart in chinos (p. 203); Humphrey Bogart in slacks (p. 180); and a Laurence Fellows frat rat in the best looking casual color-and-pattern-mixed ensemble ever seen (p. 134).

BTW, not to stir up mouldering threads, but on p. 267 there's an absolutely unforgettable snap of Jackie and her dacadent Pop, in silk suit, loafers--and tee shirt.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thread resurrection time, though, with the time elapsed since the last post, I think this qualifies as more of a rapture than a resurrection. Anyway, I'm thinking about harkening back to my youth spent in New England and picking up a pair of Penny Loafers. I would wear them casually, and exclusively without socks for summer fits. Any SFers do this?

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both penny and tassel loafers.

Use Indian-head pennies if you are nerdy like me.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love penny loafers. I have two pairs and wear them with all sorts of outfits, but never a suit. I wear them most often in the summer, with shorts (never socks). I also wear them for casual Friday pretty often. Casual Friday for me is a blazer or sportcoat and odd wool trousers. Sometimes in the summer I can get away with wearing chinos and a blazer on Fridays. I particularly love wearing pennies with that outfit.

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need some shell Pennies.

Mike

Simplicio

Reaction score
Thanks for resurrecting the thread. I had just recently been thinking about some penny loafers for the summer. But it is hard to know which to get. My impression is that this fairly simple design ranges over different levels of dressiness. I too would want something to wear casually, with chinos or jeans, and sockless (or no-show socks). The two I've been looking are these (in brown):

http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men..._calfskin.html

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...lor=Black#null

I like the overall look of the Brooks Bros. better (but not the price). But the Alden has the advantage of the flex welt sole, which I think makes it more comfortable and more casual. Opinions?

aphextwin07

Reaction score
too formal for warm-weather months imo. drivers on the other hand...

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My two rules regarding penny loafers:

1. Do not wear with suits; and
2. No tassels on penny loafers.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aphextwin07
too formal for warm-weather months imo. drivers on the other hand...
Yes, too formal for shorts but not for the office!! For the office, I wear a nice tropical wool or linen/cotton pant, dress shirt and some type of loafer or lace up.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Simplicio
Thanks for resurrecting the thread. I had just recently been thinking about some penny loafers for the summer. But it is hard to know which to get. My impression is that this fairly simple design ranges over different levels of dressiness. I too would want something to wear casually, with chinos or jeans, and sockless (or no-show socks). The two I've been looking are these (in brown): http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men..._calfskin.html http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...lor=Black#null I like the overall look of the Brooks Bros. better (but not the price). But the Alden has the advantage of the flex welt sole, which I think makes it more comfortable and more casual. Opinions?
Those BB will go on sale at some point soon. As for the broader discussion, I think if I had to have only one shoe it might be a penny loafer. I'd wear them with everything from shorts to a suit. The thing is I don't have to have only one shoe, so I tend to wear mocs or boat shoes with shorts and lace ups with a suit. My penny loafers are reserved for in between outfits - khakis, odd jackets, even jeans. My personal favorite are the unlined shell Aldens (mine are via Brooks Brothers) in #8. I am wearing them right now, so what the heck, here is a picture. Boy I love my iPhone.
9f2b5522.jpg

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Bass Gilman is a better alternative if you're sticking with Bass.

Originally Posted by UrbanAesthetics
Of course! Penny Loafers are one of those items that separate the Men from the boys. I'm only 19 and own an extensive shoe collection with 2 pairs of Penny Loafers. I recommend investing in the classic Bass Weejun Penny Loafer. It's practically a must-have....
http://urbanaesthetics.tumblr.com/

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by porcelain monkey
I am wearing them right now, so what the heck, here is a picture. Boy I love my iPhone.

9f2b5522.jpg

Those look painful. Looks like you have high arched feet like me.

Do they cut up the top of your foot?

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I an not a fan of the loafer in general, penny or otherwise. I have two loafers that I almost never wear.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads