• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are shoe trees necessary for dress boots and dress shoes/loafers?

Alozano

Reaction score
Can anyone give some input on this? I have both a pair of YSL dress boots(Wyatt harness boots), and a Gucci boot with horsebit detail; and recently purchased a loafer from Gucci as well(Jordaan). I've seen this topic come up a lot, but wasn't sure what the general definitive answer was. Do you need shoe trees for these dress boots type shoes, and for loafers and dress shoes, or are they really not necessary? Would it ruin these shoes not to use them? I use them for my western boots, but are they needed for dress boots and loafers/dress shoes?
Also any particular brand of shoe tree that you'd say is the best to use? I've been using Stratton cedar boot trees for my western boots, and they seem really good, but what about for dress boots or loafers and dress shoes? I've seen Woodlore mentioned a lot, are they any better?

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Every shoe will benefit from the use of trees, as they stretch the leather and prevent or mitigate creasing. Someone will swear on dedicated trees, in my experience any quality tree (possibly extending in length and width) will do the job.

SapatoShoe

Reaction score
Shoe trees are a good idea for all your fancy footwear! They help keep the boots and loafers in shape and absorb moisture. Won't ruin them if you don't use them, but they'll definitely last longer and look sharper with trees.

For dress boots, regular shoe trees should work fine. Loafers are trickier - skip the tree if they're suede, but cedar shoe trees are good for leather ones to prevent creases. Stratton or Woodlore both sound good, pick whichever fits your budget!

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cedar has no advantage over any other wood, but the stubborn myth of its superiority means most shoe trees are made of it, as that’s what people expect. Buy the cheapest wooden shoe trees you can find. Any wood.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads