• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right thread, but I think the posters here are the best equipped to help. I plan on commissioning a sport coat in a few months and I am currently looking for an appropriate fabric (specifically a cold, dark brown flannel with some kind of faint pattern). Can someone recommend a cloth supplier with good online swatches? Preferably I don’t want to force my tailor to wait for an hour while I go through his fabric books.

I am also considering going with a single button sleeve. I’ve seen pictures of this, but I can’t find them anymore. Anybody have any good examples?

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right thread, but I think the posters here are the best equipped to help. I plan on commissioning a sport coat in a few months and I am currently looking for an appropriate fabric (specifically a cold, dark brown flannel with some kind of faint pattern). Can someone recommend a cloth supplier with good online swatches? Preferably I don’t want to force my tailor to wait for an hour while I go through his fabric books.

I am also considering going with a single button sleeve. I’ve seen pictures of this, but I can’t find them anymore. Anybody have any good examples?

I prefer 4 buttons on the jacket sleeve, but the single button is also a traditional choice, especially on a sport coat.

tumblr_mdadasD4AK1rj5y7co1_500.jpg

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Preferably I don’t want to force my tailor to wait for an hour while I go through his fabric books.
You should do exactly this.

Choosing cloth online that you’ve never seen in person can lead to disappointment. You can’t appreciate the colour, texture, handle, etc over a computer screen.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taking inspiration and knowing what you look for is helpful, but nothing gets over seeing and touching the cloth in person. If your tailor doesn't have a large choice, you could ask him to get some specific swatches for you, the most suppliers do that.

FlowableFill

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dear Sir,

I very much like the width of the lapels, height of gorge and the overall proportions of this suit jacket; it is very becoming!

A question if you don't mind, was your LP seersucker suit made by Solito as well? I can see a resemblance in the above noted features.

Best,

Dimitris
The seersucker was cut by Eric Jensen at Gallo nyc.

dresden

Reaction score
I love my lightest grey Fresco suit and want to have another made in a greyish /RAF/steel blue. Does anyone have something made out and have pictures of of the 510251 and/or 510252?

View attachment 1969403 View attachment 1969405 View attachment 1969407 View attachment 1969409
Exciting, it’s track suit grey season. just catching up on the last months. Were you serious in your post a couple months ago about doing a run of Rangoon in mid grey? I would take a suit length.
just in case the Rangoon does happen, does I Sarti do trunk shows in SF? Moving from Europe to the west coast. I won’t be able to use the Neapolitans anymore.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Go through the fabric books there and feel them, look at them in different lights and side by side. Get your tailors feedback on what he’s cut for others or himself.

You’ll want to consider weight. Would add tweed to the mix if you’re thinking patterned browns and an odd jacket. Fox Classic Flannel, Fox Sports Jacketing, Fox Heritage Flannel should have some stuff along those lines. Zegna BielMonte and I Prezosi have some things like that. Drapers has a few flannel bunches.

krudsma

Reaction score

I recommend ordering swatches from suppliers, that way you can keep them around for a few days, see how they look in different lights and against different pieces of clothing that you already own. I believe Fox Bros. will send you them for free (or you can pay for rush shipping), other makers may charge a small fee per swatch but it's always worth it to handle them yourself.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exciting, it’s track suit grey season. just catching up on the last months. Were you serious in your post a couple months ago about doing a run of Rangoon in mid grey? I would take a suit length.
just in case the Rangoon does happen, does I Sarti do trunk shows in SF? Moving from Europe to the west coast. I won’t be able to use the Neapolitans anymore.

I Sarti is likely in SF in Oct or Nov. Solito visits as well, I think.

milanconqueror

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Long-time lurker here, I will have my first fitting for bespoke suit this weekend in Napoli. I bought my own fabrics and decided to go with my tailor house style and specifiy my need (business meetings and closing deals).

I am looking for an advice whether I should go with:
1. Jacket and 2 trousers or
2. 3-piece suit

I bought 5m fabric.

FYI, this is my first bespoke suit, and I have done a couple of MTM before with Lanieri higher end line and I always feel that not having waist coat is always been my regret, although my trousers crotch tend to blew up faster (I am on slightly heavier side as I am lifting weight)

Cheers.

leapyourbar

Reaction score
I'd feel zero remorse spending an hour looking at fabrics -- hell, you should do it if for no other reason than to plan future commissions. This coming from the guy who stopped by the Sid Mashburn shop at Brentwood Country Mart to check out the LP books, lolololol.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Long-time lurker here, I will have my first fitting for bespoke suit this weekend in Napoli. I bought my own fabrics and decided to go with my tailor house style and specifiy my need (business meetings and closing deals).

I am looking for an advice whether I should go with:
1. Jacket and 2 trousers or
2. 3-piece suit

I bought 5m fabric.

FYI, this is my first bespoke suit, and I have done a couple of MTM before with Lanieri higher end line and I always feel that not having waist coat is always been my regret, although my trousers crotch tend to blew up faster (I am on slightly heavier side as I am lifting weight)

Cheers.

I would vote for a jacket and two trousers in order to make 2 different outfits. IMO 3-piece suits only make sense if you a) love the style, or b) live in a cold environment

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads