• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MontyLo

Reaction score
Have you considered a very (and I mean very) faint glencheck? With the right fabric I find it looks incredible. Never found the right fabric myself though. Always dreamt of a dark grey glen check flannel suit...

recently saw something along those lines in a mid weight charcoal by Canali, the subtlety is awesome. Seriously considering having one made.

31F7ECE8-6893-456E-9665-0CFDA42A0FB2.jpeg

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, it's the surface weave that has a ton of broken threads. The fabric pills are my shirt cloth. Luckily it is on the inside of the coat so it's not seen when worn.

-DL

Have this on a RTW jacket. It's basically become my travel jacket for this exact reason.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@DavidLane i think you may have gotten a funky bunch. I’ve got a decent amount of new-ish fresco, and none have featured any level of pilling, with the exception of a Mocklino sport coat, which did. Ironically, also on the interior lapels.
That said, great review of Fox Air. Very curious to try it out. Sounds like exactly the sort of fabric I’m after.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you button fly devotees never piss yourselves while scrambling with the buttons in moments of urgency? Can't tell you how many photo finishes I've won by the sole merit of the zipper.

Ummmmm, never....

Have you never worn button fly jeans? On the topic of "emergencies, I find getting button flys open much faster than getting them closed. Start at the top, and they sort of open in sequence from top to bottom. YMMV

On the subject of bespoke, charcoal, subtle glencheck, and Fox Air. Recommended.
View attachment 1614632

Smashing! I did a MTM suit with Ring jacket in what I think is the same fabric. love it, it looks all business, but wears so very cool. I liked it so much, I did a second suit in the Fox Air Glen Plaid in Navy....

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm less worried about peeing myself if I had a button fly vs crapping myself if I'm trying to get to the toilet quickly.

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
Ummmmm, never....

Have you never worn button fly jeans? On the topic of "emergencies, I find getting button flys open much faster than getting them closed. Start at the top, and they sort of open in sequence from top to bottom. YMMV

Likewise; in my experience, they open quite quickly and one doesn't necessarily need to unfasten all of the buttons to be able to... perform functions. Sometimes things can be attended to if the bottom button or sometimes even two have been left fastened. I've been wearing button-fly trousers for six or seven years now, which is three or four years longer than I've owned any bespoke trousers, without... uh... incident.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All right fellas, the fabrics came in: a ridiculously heavy 500g taupe linen, and mid weight 380g cool brown linen. Local guys Tailors Keep are going to make this one up for me. I've had fours pants made up, and this will be my first suit.
350e8e98-a854-4d52-ba0c-690c29cab01b-jpeg.1610433

15cf4358-a736-40a1-9d3d-031da89752bb-jpeg.1610341

I'm thinking DB that can be worn either 6x2 or 6x1, single pleated pants. Their tailor can do most anything, and Ryan is always willing to try new things, so I'm thinking something a little sporty, like patch hip pockets and mayyybe an action back. Thoughts? Which of the two fabrics should I choose?

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Antonio Ciongoli Eidos Belted Jkt.jpg
Antonio Ciongoli Eidos Blazer Sleeve.jpg

All right fellas, the fabrics came in: a ridiculously heavy 500g taupe linen, and mid weight 380g cool brown linen. Local guys Tailors Keep are going to make this one up for me. I've had fours pants made up, and this will be my first suit.
350e8e98-a854-4d52-ba0c-690c29cab01b-jpeg.1610433

15cf4358-a736-40a1-9d3d-031da89752bb-jpeg.1610341

I'm thinking DB that can be worn either 6x2 or 6x1, single pleated pants. Their tailor can do most anything, and Ryan is always willing to try new things, so I'm thinking something a little sporty, like patch hip pockets and mayyybe an action back. Thoughts? Which of the two fabrics should I choose?
I saw a belted double breasted hopsack from an old eidos collection which I thought looked really good for something experimental

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads