• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These two jackets and the plaids shown before are cut the same. None of these are cut to have "open quarters". This what English tailors call cutting a crooked coat. It is not how the Italian tailors mentioned make "open quarters"

Interesting. Is the "crooked coat" meant to achieve a particular effect?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting. Is the "crooked coat" meant to achieve a particular effect?

One of my tailors explained it to me here, although Chris has said he disagrees with this explanation of the crookening and straightening of the coat. I've read a third theory on Tom's old English Cut blog.

Toninno

Reaction score
One of my tailors explained it to me here, although Chris has said he disagrees with this explanation of the crookening and straightening of the coat. I've read a third theory on Tom's old English Cut blog.

This adjustment makes absolutely zero sense to me. It just doesn’t add up. No matter how I twist it. A “crooked coat “? And I’ve been studying cutting relentlessly going on 40 years. But I’m sure it works for him.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This adjustment makes absolutely zero sense to me. It just doesn’t add up. No matter how I twist it. A “crooked coat “? And I’ve been studying cutting relentlessly going on 40 years. But I’m sure it works for him.
Agree with you Frank. Watched the video twice to be sure I didn't misunderstand the explanation.

Last edited:

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2B just feels weird for me these days. I would not mind wearing one but I would never intentionally order one bespoke...it looks weird for me proportion wise. 1 or 3r2 for me...would not mind a sbpl in a 3r2
If I were to deviate from a 1 button model, I would not pick a SBPL. I think that is one of the few configurations that demands 1 button.

dresden

Reaction score
Summer blazer and trousers. Caccioppoli hopsack. Half lined, 3 r 2, patch pockets and controversial silver metal buttons with extra saucy buttonholes. Cerruti lightweight summer trousers. Trouser fabric might be too lightweight. They might look like crumpled linen the first time I sit down and only last two summers. I have high hopes though.
727FB7CA-A794-4766-B58D-57937FE4B6DF.jpeg
CA2AD7A1-104C-426E-8646-811C4FF5BA31.jpeg
5E7B1332-11D1-40CB-A075-74EBFF0650E9.jpeg
9F0BBBF0-15D9-432E-AFC2-7B18DE98868D.jpeg
F4F5B4DD-1794-4945-8CBF-6E26860ACE51.jpeg
9B6C5D94-EC7F-40F8-B42F-9E98DF470642.jpeg
64206FD6-1B9B-497E-B62D-CCADB46CE4A9.jpeg
AD9AFC77-A480-4246-ABDC-DF8037895B77.jpeg
EE968632-0C55-4F65-9009-9F2C999CF31F.jpeg
B5D2216B-74BB-4719-8B84-FCEDD1E5F2FD.png

Attachments

• EEAFD219-F4EF-45CF-8E8C-476D38D24CA9.jpeg
    EEAFD219-F4EF-45CF-8E8C-476D38D24CA9.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Toninno

Reaction score
Summer blazer and trousers. Caccioppoli hopsack. Half lined, 3 r 2, patch pockets and controversial silver metal buttons with extra saucy buttonholes. Cerruti lightweight summer trousers. Trouser fabric might be too lightweight. They might look like crumpled linen the first time I sit down and only last two summers. I have high hopes though. View attachment 1396019 View attachment 1396020 View attachment 1396021 View attachment 1396022
Gorgeous

Toninno

Reaction score
Looks like a halfway between a feminine cut coat and a masculine cut...
An “A shaped coat” ???Crooked coat” ?? This is all a bunch of nonsense. The above coats are just ill cut. The one on the mannequin is way off balance and the other two are sucked in at the waist and seat - and that is why the fronts are pulling open. You can tell by the plaid on the middle coat that it’s a normal cut front.

Last edited:

Toninno

Reaction score

on

:( Igents guide to asking an English tailor for open quarters.
what is the mystery to opening the quarters ? I can think of nothing more simple. My customer just asked for his next coat to have more open quarters. It’s as simple as it gets. When cutting I just pivot the pattern from just below the top button to 1/2” ( or whatever) at the bottom. Why can Naples tailors do this simple adjustment and not an English tailor ? If there’s more to it I’m more than willing to learn.

Last edited:

Toninno

Reaction score

If you do what he says you must add the amount that he has shifted forward to the front of the pattern - and take it off the side seam. And also move the lapel line.

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Summer blazer and trousers. Caccioppoli hopsack. Half lined, 3 r 2, patch pockets and controversial silver metal buttons with extra saucy buttonholes. Cerruti lightweight summer trousers. Trouser fabric might be too lightweight. They might look like crumpled linen the first time I sit down and only last two summers. I have high hopes though. View attachment 1396019 View attachment 1396020 View attachment 1396021 View attachment 1396022

Lovely buttons.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you do what he says you must add the amount that he has shifted forward to the front of the pattern - and take it off the side seam. And also move the lapel line.
Crooking for erect/full chest shortens the strap, makes the chest smaller and puts more cloth overlapping on the front edge. If you lengthen the strap after the change, you change the shoulder slope. Four effects that are opposite of what is needed. Crooking is done to move the collar closer to the neck but not an effective adjustment for a full chest. It takes away cloth needed to cover the chest.
Straightening the shoulder puts more cloth over the chest, lengthens the strap, takes away from the overlap, does not change shoulder slope. One change to the pattern that adjusts all of this for full chest and erect posture.
Moving the neck point is a big deal because it effects almost every aspect of a jacket. Have to do this judiciously.

Toninno

Reaction score
Crooking for erect/full chest shortens the strap, makes the chest smaller and puts more cloth overlapping on the front edge. If you lengthen the strap after the change, you change the shoulder slope. Four effects that are opposite of what is needed. Crooking is done to move the collar closer to the neck but not an effective adjustment for a full chest. It takes away cloth needed to cover the chest.
Straightening the shoulder puts more cloth over the chest, lengthens the strap, takes away from the overlap, does not change shoulder slope. One change to the pattern that adjusts all of this for full chest and erect posture.
Moving the neck point is a big deal because it effects almost every aspect of a jacket. Have to do this judiciously.
I shift the neck point often. It’s right there in the Mitchell System. I just did it for a new customer. I do it often. But not for the reason this gent explains. He may just be under-explaining for the customer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads