• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

calypso

Reaction score
From a fitting with Biagio Granata last week in Paris.
have not decided yet if it will be a suit or just a sc... hmmmm, decisions decisions

20180301_113123.jpg

John Grady Cole

Reaction score
Steed will very likely be coming to Atlanta on June 11th. If anyone would like any more info, please email them or send me a PM.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tend to agree somewhat, but we have to keep in mind that without sleeves properly attached, the front view massively overemphasizes the upper breast width. Slightly less waist suppression might do the trick.

yeah, i would pay very little attention to those (especially those who don't seem to understand this process very well...) expressing such strong concerns based pictures of a first fitting...

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, i would pay very little attention to those (especially those who don't seem to understand this process very well...) expressing such strong concerns based pictures of a first fitting...
These things aren’t really a matter of not getting “it.” To me, it’s a matter (an opinion, to be sure) of a physique initially being less than optimally suited to a DB, compounded by a fabric selection that does little to mitigate that issue, and most likely compounds it.
Obviously, it’s only my opinion, and you’re more than welcome to disagree, but I don’t see how these reactions you mention betray ignorance to the process.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These things aren’t really a matter of not getting “it.” To me, it’s a matter (an opinion, to be sure) of a physique initially being less than optimally suited to a DB, compounded by a fabric selection that does little to mitigate that issue, and most likely compounds it.
Obviously, it’s only my opinion, and you’re more than welcome to disagree, but I don’t see how these reactions you mention betray ignorance to the process.

the cloth has been chosen and cut = no going back on color or db style (unless i misunderstood and that is not the actual cloth being fitted...). with this in mind, i don't see how any criticism along these lines is remotely constructive. if after the jacket is finished, however, so that the color and style can be viewed in the proper context relative to proportions, and you still find the style and color to be poor choices, it might be helpful to say as much to avoid future missteps...

in the meantime, there can be radical changes that can occur from the basted fitting to the forward fitting (and quite significant changes even after that...), so perhaps some patience is in order before we comment, especially since none of us have any idea what the tailor thought of the basted fitting himself...

Stugotes

Reaction score
Very nice 3-btn for a change, I really like to "closed" look. Who made it?

blueberry7

Reaction score
Yesterday, I commissioned my first bespoke suit with a local tailor here in Vienna, Austria

We had the first fitting last week. There will be two, maybe even three more fittings.
This tailor's approach is to start with a rather loose fit and then work his way towards the desired fit.

I do realize that the photos are far from ideal. Also, I didn't manage to obtain a good photo of the trousers or even a full body shot so I'll concentrate on the coat.

094220415_.jpg

03067029_.jpg

03067034_.jpg

Until the next fitting, the following changes will be made:
- letting the sleeves out 1 cm
- lapels 1 cm wider at their widest point, changing the curve to a more inward curved lapel
- open quarters a little more, see chalk marks
- vents will be made 2-3 cm shorter (closed from the top)
- take in the waist and reduce volume at the lower back
- back needs tidying up but I suppose that this will be done more towards the final fittings. Also, I don't want to forgo all freedom of movement.

Let's see how this develops.

Last edited:

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's Biagio Granata. Napoli.

He's coming to NYC in a week for anyone interested.

He will be back in end of April. I will have my 2nd fitting then.

hippotamus

Reaction score
Got this jacket made from a piece of old donegal a while ago. Pics taken from different days...
View attachment 939946
View attachment 939950
View attachment 939948
View attachment 939942
View attachment 939944

Took a better pic of last jacket (Ok only a tiny bit better as I upgraded from iphone6 to 7...)
View attachment 939949

Love the look, unique in today tailoring world where everyone praise the soft (sloppy) look.
Might not be everyone cup of tea thought.....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads