• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old Miata's (1990-1995's?)... Good idea or no?

Ludeykrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A good friend of mine has had the first generation and the second generation Miatas. He's driven them stock base model 1.6, up to a full-blown supercharged 1.8 with drift/autocross suspension. It is a fantastic car. They handle very well, with the short wheelbase and light weight. They are reliable, easy to work on, and there's a huge aftermarket for them, should you choose that route.

My main advice would be to go for the 1.8 liter motor; the 1.6 is good but underpowered.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ludeykrus
A good friend of mine has had the first generation and the second generation Miatas. He's driven them stock base model 1.6, up to a full-blown supercharged 1.8 with drift/autocross suspension. It is a fantastic car. They handle very well, with the short wheelbase and light weight. They are reliable, easy to work on, and there's a huge aftermarket for them, should you choose that route.

My main advice would be to go for the 1.8 liter motor; the 1.6 is good but underpowered.

The 1.8l engine in the 1993 to 1997 cars has a little bit more power (kW or hp) and a fair bit more torque. However, the engine is a little bit more coarse and does not rev quite as easily as the 1.6l.
The additional torque in the 1.8l means that you don't have to change gears quite as much - but with a gearbox as good as the one in the Miata, changing gears is great fun and thus I don't mind it at all.

I'd drive both so as to get a feel for the engines and cars, before I made a decision.
The 1993-97 model also gained additional underbody stiffening, power mirrors and a power antenna, and so it's a little heavier than the 1.6l Miata.

Imagineer

Reaction score
Just see the forums... Miata forum or Mazda mx5 forum and you'll find hundreds of enthusiasts with multiple links to anything Miata.

They are made to go and go and go cheaply. The RX7 was more powerful and comfortable, but the rotory engine was made to last approximately 80k miles then needed to be replaced. It's a shame in my oppinion that people didn't just keep putting new engins in.

The Miata however, though not a real sports car in the sense of power, was built to go forever. So simple to maintain and fix. Fun to zip around corners, noisy, cramped and fun. Drive a few around before you purchase the first one you get. Each has a personality, often one that the owner loves and names.

If you like to tinker on a car, this is a fun one to do it with because you can put a rag top to a hard top, a hard top to a rag top. Glass rear window, plastic. Go to the forums and see how much fun people are having preserving or making alterations.

Imagineer

Reaction score
I have the M edition 1997. The M edition is supposed to be in a moss green. I just got mine though and it is in British Racing Green, Oak soft top and leather seats. Glossy wood gear knob and emergency brake. And a radio/cd player/bluetooth/ipod etc etc that I can't figure it out without a manual.

The "M" is embossed on the seats, on the running boards, the decall. The dealer didn't know anything about it being a sport, touring or grand touring, but it is likely the grand touring as it has rear-wheel drive (unnecessary). My CPA payed double what she could have, but it's still a nice car. A great car can be had for $5k easily.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Every list of the best handling cars ever made has a spot for the Miata.

Which will serve you well in avoiding unruly/drunk bystanders at the next Gay Pride parade :p

Last edited:

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow old thread. My time of miata ownership has come and gone. I owned one for about 8 months before selling it for a BMW E30. The lack of structural rigidity of an old lightweight convertible made it a tedious daily driver on the rough roads I take to work, even with the hardtop.

I miss it dearly, and hope to one day own one again, but as a second car.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads