• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mrsaxman

Reaction score
which tie is that, could you link me where to purchase it? Looks great!

also is that a real flower boutonniere or pre-made one?

It’s a real boutonnière from the local florist.

The tie is Tom Ford, as is the suit and shirt. I just bought the tie from Harrolds in Melbourne.

GloryField

Reaction score
Thanks.

Veremund, what do you think of this grey/pale blue grenadine?
I'll pair it with white boutonniere and white linen pocket square.

Tie.jpg

Tie2.jpg

View attachment 974149

View attachment 974150

useless_username

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I now know that wearing a belt with a 3 piece suit is faux pas, but when I designed my MTM wedding suit I wasn't as sartorially versed and wanted to get something that was versatile enough that I could wear it again in my life. I got belt loops instead of suspender attachment points (not sure what they are called) as I wear belts and like the look of a belt.

When I got the suit I wasn't sure if I was going to end up using the waistcoat or not since I am getting married on a beach and in a hot climate, but I figured I would add it in since it didn't add too much to the cost and it at least gave me the option of wearing it at some point. I figured I'd maybe wear the jacket during the ceremony and dinner and then throw on the waistcoat for just the party, or something like that. It was just something different to add/make the occasion more memorable.

Now I'm thinking I will probably wear the three piece suit during the ceremony and then just ditch the jacket at some point later.

My question would be, is it still faux pas to wear a belt even if it's 95% imperceptible (especially in front, just a tiny sliver of buckle on the bottom mayor may not show but it doesn't perceptibly add to the girth of the waistcoat)?

I don't have the option for braces at this point, so in order to really hold my trousers where I want them, I need the belt. Plus it makes me feel more complete and tightened up.

I know it's breaking the rules, at this point I'm ok with it, but I'm curious about your thoughts.

The 'suspender attachment points' are simply buttons sewn on the inside of the trouser waistband. It's an extremely easy and quick job to have them added. So easy you could even do it yourself (instructions can be found online).

Or if you prefer the belt, just wear a belt.

Gramby

Reaction score
Hi, Friends! I'm new to the forum and just found this thread in my searches.

My partner and I threw a wedding for ourselves last Friday (Derby weekend), and we encouraged everyone to dress as if they were a Wes Anderson character going to the Derby. She and I both love how many characters in Wes Anderson films are part of that "idle rich" class that are seemingly all dressed up with nowhere to go. They mix classy and unique without looking contrived or giving the appearance of trying too hard.

So this is what I wore (and almost all of it came from thrift shops): A Black Watch tartan jacket, Marks & Spencer tuxedo shirt, black satin bow tie (learned how to tie it myself), a pair of Scottish thistle cufflinks, black slim-fit trousers from H&M, and a pair of black wingtips. I folded a white hankie into a four-peak style in lieu of a pocket square (covered by my hand in this pic).

All that to say I wish more guys felt comfortable picking their own unique style for things like this! It was a lot of fun curating an outfit that really fit the person I want to be, and my lady absolutely loved it!

dinner-jacket.jpg

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So this is what I wore (and almost all of it came from thrift shops): A Black Watch tartan jacket, Marks & Spencer tuxedo shirt, black satin bow tie (learned how to tie it myself), a pair of Scottish thistle cufflinks, black slim-fit trousers from H&M, and a pair of black wingtips.

You look excellent. Congrats on your nuptials! :cheers:

erakettu

Reaction score
As a wedding guest, I'm trying to figure what kind of PS and tie/bowtie to wear. It's a summer wedding so hoping to add a little colour and stay with light materials.

I'll be wearing a navy suit and probably a very light purple shirt. As these dont have any patterns and textures are subtle, I gathered PS and/or neckwear could be more relaxed then. How does green sound? Any ideas on patterns or items to get, per se?

ThomGault

Reaction score
I'll be wearing a navy suit and probably a very light purple shirt. As these dont have any patterns and textures are subtle, I gathered PS and/or neckwear could be more relaxed then. How does green sound?
Navy suit with light purple shirt? That...err...wouldn't be my first choice. And a green tie?

Why not just try some colors that don't clash?

erakettu

Reaction score
Navy suit with light purple shirt? That...err...wouldn't be my first choice. And a green tie?

Why not just try some colors that don't clash?
A very muted purple tone for the shirt. This picture is just a sample (and features a puppytooth pattern which i dont), but seems to go well with green. Definitelt pairs with navy

FON0410LLC_a.jpg

Chouan

Reaction score
As a wedding guest, I'm trying to figure what kind of PS and tie/bowtie to wear. It's a summer wedding so hoping to add a little colour and stay with light materials.

I'll be wearing a navy suit and probably a very light purple shirt. As these dont have any patterns and textures are subtle, I gathered PS and/or neckwear could be more relaxed then. How does green sound? Any ideas on patterns or items to get, per se?
See previous post for colour clashes. I would urge you to not wear a bow tie. Bow ties, to me, are fine with a dinner jacket or mess dress, or if worn by a gynecologist (for obvious reasons) but otherwise make one look like a boy going to a prom, dressed by his mother.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Blue suit, purple shirt, green tie? Shirt is fine, but go with a navy tie. A purple shirt plus colored pocket square is plenty of color. Green tie would be OTT IMHO.

poissa

Reaction score
I'm looking for a 61" tie for my wedding in the fall. I'd like a traditional wedding patterned (Prince of Wales) tie with fall colors. I'll be wearing a navy suit.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a 61" tie for my wedding in the fall. I'd like a traditional wedding patterned (Prince of Wales) tie with fall colors. I'll be wearing a navy suit.

David Hober will make you one in any length (and width) you want. Last I checked (no pun intended)he had in stock shephard's check, houndstooth, and POW wedding tie patterns. www.samhober.com

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics