1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Atelier Wen focusing on quality mechanical watches proudly made in China.

Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Veremund

Veremund Distinguished Member

Pink shirt, red tie, orange flowers? To be honest, that sounds really not good. Sorry, but you asked.
    Wearing a navy suit on your wedding day is great, but black shoes would be more befitting such a special occasion.

2. GloryField

GloryField Well-Known Member

Completely escaped my mind. I'll look for a grenadine tie in navy for them. Would you recommend different colors for the 3 groomsmen so they don't look too similar? Maybe Blue, Navy, and slate blue. Or Navy, Two-Tone Wine and Navy, and Chocolate? (from Chipp neckwear)
    http://www.chippneckwear.com/italian-grenadine/

What tie would you recommend to myself? Grey grenadine from Chipp, or go for a different pattern?

For the shoes, I might be stuck with the dark chili at this point, unless I can somehow get a black one shipped to the AE store and do an exchange in store.

3. GloryField

4. Veremund

Have the groomsmen wear nice, white shirts. Let the colors come from the boutonnière or pocket square. Matching pink shirts sounds naff. Pink carnations or cornflowers are nice.

5. ERok32

ERok32 Well-Known Member

I have a Chipp grenadine, along with a few Sam Hober grossa and fina grenadines. While the Chipp versions are nice, they only come in fina and are a bit lighter weight. My Hober grossa ties are absolutely awesome.

6. Veremund

Any nice grey tie will do fine. For weddings I like a Prince of Wales glen check myself, but get whichever one you like.

The shoes you have will do if they must, but if I had the choice, I'd go with black.

7. GloryField

So is the Red Houndtooth tie ok then on a white shirt for them?

Thanks!

8. Veremund

If you like, sure.

9. marker2037

marker2037 Distinguished Member

Gentlemen, I now know that wearing a belt with a 3 piece suit is faux pas, but when I designed my MTM wedding suit I wasn't as sartorially versed and wanted to get something that was versatile enough that I could wear it again in my life. I got belt loops instead of suspender attachment points (not sure what they are called) as I wear belts and like the look of a belt.

When I got the suit I wasn't sure if I was going to end up using the waistcoat or not since I am getting married on a beach and in a hot climate, but I figured I would add it in since it didn't add too much to the cost and it at least gave me the option of wearing it at some point. I figured I'd maybe wear the jacket during the ceremony and dinner and then throw on the waistcoat for just the party, or something like that. It was just something different to add/make the occasion more memorable.

Now I'm thinking I will probably wear the three piece suit during the ceremony and then just ditch the jacket at some point later.

My question would be, is it still faux pas to wear a belt even if it's 95% imperceptible (especially in front, just a tiny sliver of buckle on the bottom mayor may not show but it doesn't perceptibly add to the girth of the waistcoat)?

I don't have the option for braces at this point, so in order to really hold my trousers where I want them, I need the belt. Plus it makes me feel more complete and tightened up.

I know it's breaking the rules, at this point I'm ok with it, but I'm curious about your thoughts.

10. ERok32

ERok32 Well-Known Member

I don’t think it matters, and I doubt anyone will even notice or know that you broke any sort of rule.

11. Veremund

Nonsense. Wear a belt. You have other things to worry about.

12. marker2037

marker2037 Distinguished Member

I like the responses gentlemen, thank you.

13. AdductorMagnus

AdductorMagnus Well-Known Member

Just to report, I've had an awesome day as best man in my friends wedding. Morning dress (with hideous white paisley tie which I gladly wore but internally hated) for church and photo session, and white tie for the reception. All weddings should be formal. Navy/charcoal suits are fine, but there's no beating proper formal dress.

14. mrsaxman

mrsaxman Member

Thoughts, everyone? 56640CFB-7624-4588-96CA-686824A9E498.jpeg FE12AD9B-97A6-4D7A-B39F-C82E1A6C7850.jpeg AE40C8BB-4BBE-413E-913B-BC556C204B0C.jpeg ED8B26F7-20EB-4B5B-B17F-0CA845771530.jpeg

15. Faux Brummell

Faux Brummell Well-Known Member

Photos please.