• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

poissa

Reaction score
Thanks all for the comments. I don't want to buy a pair of black shoes (I don't like them). I'd wear them once. I'd prefer brown shoes/boots for all weddings and formal events. I don't go to black tie affairs.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it a faux paus to wear boots to my wedding? I was thinking about these in medium brown with a navy suit. http://www.kentwang.com/shoes/handgrade-boot.html. I have a pair of dark brown oxfords. However, my fiance wants me to wear new shoes for the wedding. I find buying another pair of oxfords redundant.

Thanks all for the comments. I don't want to buy a pair of black shoes (I don't like them). I'd wear them once. I'd prefer brown shoes/boots for all weddings and formal events. I don't go to black tie affairs.

I say wear whatever you want, it's your day. If you want balmoral boots in brown, wear them. I agree with your take on black so I would choose brown as well.

Just make sure that you're comfortable wearing boots with a suit, but I see nothing wrong with it.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an aside, I find it a little odd that Kent Wang would stock a proper oxford dress boot (rare enough itself) in two colors yet neither is black. That's surprising.

That said, if the OP is hellbent on not buying a black shoe for his wedding and wishes to avoid redundancy, what about getting the Wang boot in burgundy? As was correctly pointed out, unless one plans on showing one's socks, getting a brown oxford boot when already owning brown oxford shoes is actually a bit redundant. Getting the boots in burg provides a nice alternative to the existing brown oxford with a nice burg punchcap.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@poissa, if you're determined to not wear black shoes, then as far as brown shoes go, the boots you linked to are a decent option. I won't pretend to understand the aversion to black shoes, but it is what it is. Congratulations on the wedding of course.

How often do you wear a suit? I find a lot of folks who loathe brown shoes almost never are in a suit and tie. If that's you, I question the value in basically having two pairs of shoes that fit the role of dark brown oxfords (the boots and whatever you have now). Of course, maybe the fiancée wanting you to wear new shoes at the wedding is giving you an excuse to buy something a bit less practical that you'll have fun with (but do break them in before you wear them on your wedding day or your feet won't be happy).

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As an aside, I find it a little odd that Kent Wang would stock a proper oxford dress boot (rare enough itself) in two colors yet neither is black. That's surprising.

That said, if the OP is hellbent on not buying a black shoe for his wedding and wishes to avoid redundancy, what about getting the Wang boot in burgundy? As was correctly pointed out, unless one plans on showing one's socks, getting a brown oxford boot when already owning brown oxford shoes is actually a bit redundant. Getting the boots in burg provides a nice alternative to the existing brown oxford with a nice burg punchcap.

Yeah, getting the burgundy boot would have been a logical suggestion too in this case.

AdductorMagnus

Reaction score
You're entitled to dislike what you want. You're wrong, of course, but everyone's allowed to be wrong too. I support boots though.

20170512_163942.jpg

poissa

Reaction score
@poissa, if you're determined to not wear black shoes, then as far as brown shoes go, the boots you linked to are a decent option. I won't pretend to understand the aversion to black shoes, but it is what it is. Congratulations on the wedding of course.

How often do you wear a suit? I find a lot of folks who loathe brown shoes almost never are in a suit and tie. If that's you, I question the value in basically having two pairs of shoes that fit the role of dark brown oxfords (the boots and whatever you have now). Of course, maybe the fiancée wanting you to wear new shoes at the wedding is giving you an excuse to buy something a bit less practical that you'll have fun with (but do break them in before you wear them on your wedding day or your feet won't be happy).

Good points being made that the brown boot I'm eyeing are quite similar to brown oxfords. I do not wear suits for work, I'm in a casual office setting and don't foresee that changing soon.

mitchellc

Reaction score
Hi, I'm getting married in October in Florida. Outdoor 5:30 PM ceremony, and I'm going with a 3 pc suit. We won't have any groomsman or bridesmaids, so the "to match or not to match" question is right out. Fiancee doesn't have any strong opinions on what I wear; she trusts that I'll spend countless hours researching to get it right, hah.

Here's what I'm thinking for my get-up, and I would appreciate feedback. I plan to use Beckett and Robb for the suit, and have a sizing appointment scheduled for next weekend. I've been to their shop a few times to talk through the options and they have been patient and thorough. The internet suggests that they have good quality garments for the money, and they seem to be able to make just about anything one could want.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Suit:
- Fabric color: Navy. Haven't yet settled on the specific color or fabric weight yet. They had many navy options - I was thinking a lighter weight would be appropriate for Florida. I work in a casual office, so I only wear suits to non-work events.
- Jacket: Peak Lapel, 1 button, full canvasing, no ticket pocket.
- Pants: Flat Front, no belt loops, buttons for braces, and side adjusters (since I'd like the option for 2pc in the future)
- Vest: Double-breasted, shawl lapel.

The Rest:
- Shirt: White, spread collar, French Cuff. Perhaps BB Madison (https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Madi...lt,pd.html?dwvar_E552_Color=WHIT&contentpos=1)
- Braces: Albert Thurston in Navy (https://www.beckettrobb.com/collections/accessories/products/braces-navy)
- Tie: Kent Wang Shepherd's Check Black (http://www.kentwang.com/ties/shepherds-check-black.html)
- Shoes: AE Park Ave's in Black (https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/...?dwvar_SF270_color=5615#q=park+avenue&start=1)
- Socks: Navy
- Pocket Square: White Linen

Any thoughts or recommended changes?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hi, I'm getting married in October in Florida. Outdoor 5:30 PM ceremony, and I'm going with a 3 pc suit. We won't have any groomsman or bridesmaids, so the "to match or not to match" question is right out. Fiancee doesn't have any strong opinions on what I wear; she trusts that I'll spend countless hours researching to get it right, hah.

Here's what I'm thinking for my get-up, and I would appreciate feedback. I plan to use Beckett and Robb for the suit, and have a sizing appointment scheduled for next weekend. I've been to their shop a few times to talk through the options and they have been patient and thorough. The internet suggests that they have good quality garments for the money, and they seem to be able to make just about anything one could want.

Suit:
- Fabric color: Navy. Haven't yet settled on the specific color or fabric weight yet. They had many navy options - I was thinking a lighter weight would be appropriate for Florida. I work in a casual office, so I only wear suits to non-work events.
- Pants: Flat Front, no belt loops, buttons for braces, and side adjusters (since I'd like the option for 2pc in the future)

The Rest:
- Shirt: White, spread collar, French Cuff. Perhaps BB Madison (https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Madison-Classic-Fit-Dress-Shirt,-Non-Iron-Spread-Collar-French-Cuff/E552,default,pd.html?dwvar_E552_Color=WHIT&contentpos=1)
- Braces: Albert Thurston in Navy (https://www.beckettrobb.com/collections/accessories/products/braces-navy)
- Tie: Kent Wang Shepherd's Check Black (http://www.kentwang.com/ties/shepherds-check-black.html)
- Shoes: AE Park Ave's in Black (https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/mens-shoes/oxford-derby-shoes/park-avenue-cap-toe-oxford/SF270.html?dwvar_SF270_color=5615#q=park+avenue&start=1)

That's a very standard wedding-like outfit.

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score

Suit:

The Rest:
- Shirt: White, spread collar, French Cuff. Perhaps BB Madison (https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Madison-Classic-Fit-Dress-Shirt,-Non-Iron-Spread-Collar-French-Cuff/E552,default,pd.html?dwvar_E552_Color=WHIT&contentpos=1)
- Shoes: AE Park Ave's in Black (https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/mens-shoes/oxford-derby-shoes/park-avenue-cap-toe-oxford/SF270.html?dwvar_SF270_color=5615#q=park+avenue&start=1)

Sounds really nice. I did something similar, so I'll weigh in on a few of the decisions I made, and why, in case that helps you.

Fabric for the suit was from Dormeiul's Tonik book, which is a wool/mohair blend. It was quite breathable so worked well on our early June in NYC wedding, and it has an amazing hand do it, drape's beautifully, and does not wrinkle. I went for a "lighter than navy" color to further emphasize that this was not a business suit but rather one for fun, and because our wedding was in the evening, transitioning from day to night. The lighter-than-navy color looked great in the sun, and the mohair blend made it look good at night indoors as well. To contrast this fabric I went with a cotton/linen shirt that had a fair amount of gauzy slub to it, so that not everything was super sleek. I was really happy with the contrast there. Did not wear braces but went for a higher rise trouser with side tabs, and a single breasted vest as well.

KyleSakiWED0353.jpg

KyleSakiWED0499.jpg KyleSakiWED0477.jpg KyleSakiWED0348.jpg KyleSakiSP30.jpg

mitchellc

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I picked up a pair of AE Park Aves in black just before my Beckett & Robb speccing and sizing. The total for a three-piece came out to about $1200. The overall process took about an hour and a half, and was a positive experience. In the event that you're interested in all of the little details, I've included all of the details below.

Fabric: 8 oz. Navy Wool. Really liked the color, just a smidge lighter than many navy fabrics, and I think that the lighter weight fabric will be well suited (no pun intended) to an October Florida day and evening. (https://www.beckettrobb.com/collections/suits/products/navy-plain-weave-suit). The heavier weight fabric that I liked would have added about $500 to the price OTD.

Jacket:
- One button
- Half Canvas
- "Regular" shoulder pads
- Full lining in light blue with paisley edging
- Notch lapel in medium width. Originally planned for peak, but the peak was just a bit too narrow for my liking and looked like it would curl towards the tip.
- Four sleeve buttons, slightly overlapping. Front-most button has contrast light blue stitching. Barely noticeable but I liked the little detail.
- Pick Stitching
- Slanted pockets, including ticket pocket. Wasn't originally getting the ticket pocket, but really liked the asymmetry when I tried on one of the off the rack jackets.
- Side vents

Vest:
- Double Breasted w/ 3 buttons in 2 rows
- Shawl Lapel
- Vest material all around (opposed to lining on the back)
- 2 vest pockets

Trouser:
- Plain front
- Jetted Pockets
- Straight finish (no cuffs) with medium break
- Side Adjusters
- Suspender Buttons
- Zipper Enclosure
- No Watch Pocket
- Dinner Vent

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I picked up a pair of AE Park Aves in black just before my Beckett & Robb speccing and sizing. The total for a three-piece came out to about $1200. The overall process took about an hour and a half, and was a positive experience. In the event that you're interested in all of the little details, I've included all of the details below.

Fabric: 8 oz. Navy Wool. Really liked the color, just a smidge lighter than many navy fabrics, and I think that the lighter weight fabric will be well suited (no pun intended) to an October Florida day and evening. (https://www.beckettrobb.com/collections/suits/products/navy-plain-weave-suit). The heavier weight fabric that I liked would have added about $500 to the price OTD.

Jacket:
- One button
- Half Canvas
- "Regular" shoulder pads
- Full lining in light blue with paisley edging
- Notch lapel in medium width. Originally planned for peak, but the peak was just a bit too narrow for my liking and looked like it would curl towards the tip.
- Four sleeve buttons, slightly overlapping. Front-most button has contrast light blue stitching. Barely noticeable but I liked the little detail.
- Pick Stitching
- Slanted pockets, including ticket pocket. Wasn't originally getting the ticket pocket, but really liked the asymmetry when I tried on one of the off the rack jackets.
- Side vents

Vest:
- Double Breasted w/ 3 buttons in 2 rows
- Shawl Lapel
- Vest material all around (opposed to lining on the back)
- 2 vest pockets

Trouser:
- Plain front
- Jetted Pockets
- Straight finish (no cuffs) with medium break
- Side Adjusters
- Suspender Buttons
- Zipper Enclosure
- No Watch Pocket
- Dinner Vent
I have two suits and a pair of odd trousers from Beckett and Robb. I like them just the size control seems to be an issue. Probably won't use them again becsuse of this.

tbrock

Reaction score
Posted in wrong thread. Apologies.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads