• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mkenny28

Reaction score
Hi all. Finalizing my wedding outfit for my November 10th wedding and I need help deciding on shoes. I am wearing a 3 piece MTM Hickey Freeman in a really cool High Blue (reads navy but far more interesting) 100% Wool Super 160s from Dormeuil. I am thinking of wearing classic captoe oxfords in brown but with so many options I am kind of all over the map on what pair to choose. These are some of the options I am looking at:

Audley.jpg
Crockett and Jones Audley

Carmina.jpg
Carmina Captoe on Rain Last

EG Chelsea.jpg

Edward Green Chelsea on Dark Oak (Current front runner)

JL CityII.jpg

John Lobb City II

Lonsdale.jpg
Crockett and Jones Lonsdale

magnolia.jpg
J Fitzpatrick Magnolia in Brown Museum Calf

palk

Reaction score
Hey guys, first time poster. (Be gentle)
I'm going to be the best man for a wedding this coming April in Florence and the groom has asked me for help with the men's wedding attire. I've convinced the groom to go with a tuxedo, but now I need some options to present to him. I was thinking MTM, thoughts?
As for myself, I was thinking on wearing a suit. Originally I thought to wear a two-piece navy suit, but perhaps that's too "business" for a European wedding. What's the consensus on best man attire?
The consensus is that when attending ceremonies (and possibly receptions) during the day one should wear morning wear, and when attending receptions that start in the evening one should wear evening wear. However, if the groom will be wearing a dinner suit during the day, then it's my personal opinion that you should follow suit (pardon the pun) and either also wear a tuxedo, or at least a dark suit and dark bowtie.

palk

Reaction score
I need help deciding on shoes.
I would personally lean towards the EGs because they hide the welt stitching better than the rest, making it appear more refined. However, if you are new to EG shoes, the 82 last runs a bit narrow; I would seek out a retailer and compare the Chelsea on the 82, 202, and 915 lasts to find which best fits your foot's shape.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, first time poster. (Be gentle)
I'm going to be the best man for a wedding this coming April in Florence and the groom has asked me for help with the men's wedding attire. I've convinced the groom to go with a tuxedo, but now I need some options to present to him. I was thinking MTM, thoughts?
As for myself, I was thinking on wearing a suit. Originally I thought to wear a two-piece navy suit, but perhaps that's too "business" for a European wedding. What's the consensus on best man attire?

Would be a church / catholic ceremony? If so a Tuxedo would be a big faux pass in Italy and only seen from unclassy people to say it nicely. A tuxedo should never be worn in a church by the way. Much better to go for a three pieces, peak lapel suit if at all possible (see my recent post a page or so back).

However, if it is only a civil/non religious ceremony, whilst I am personally still set against the Tuxedo, I think it would be less bad.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Finalizing my wedding outfit for my November 10th wedding and I need help deciding on shoes. I am wearing a 3 piece MTM Hickey Freeman in a really cool High Blue (reads navy but far more interesting) 100% Wool Super 160s from Dormeuil. I am thinking of wearing classic captoe oxfords in brown but with so many options I am kind of all over the map on what pair to choose. These are some of the options I am looking at:

View attachment 831629
Crockett and Jones Audley

View attachment 831630
Carmina Captoe on Rain Last

View attachment 831631

Edward Green Chelsea on Dark Oak (Current front runner)

View attachment 831632

John Lobb City II

View attachment 831633
Crockett and Jones Lonsdale

View attachment 831634
J Fitzpatrick Magnolia in Brown Museum Calf

I would strongly advise you to wear them in Black. It is your wedding, probably the most formal event you are participating in your life. Leave the brown shoes for the office.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would strongly advise you to wear them in Black. It is your wedding, probably the most formal event you are participating in your life. Leave the brown shoes for the office.
Nah, wear what you want to wear. Especially on this day. It's YOUR wedding after all, not someone else's. YOU dictate the dress code.

mkenny28

Reaction score

Black shoes are boring to me; I own a ton but I prefer the brown in this situation. I should have said we are doing a less formal wedding. We are getting married at the Zoo (sort of) in New Orleans in a 15 minute ceremony presided over by my best friend's Dad who is a judge. All the groomsmen are wearing varying navy suits which we will pull together with ties and pocket squares that are in the colors of the wedding but not identical. The bridesmaids are all wearing different dresses that have similar colors/same colors. I have been in a ton of weddings and everyone does the same thing; I prefer to be a bit different but stay with classic attire (not wedding classic). I appreciate your reply though.

Nah, wear what you want to wear. Especially on this day. It's YOUR wedding after all, not someone else's. YOU dictate the dress code.

Exactly.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice, another Nola bro on the board. In any event, I think black would look nice depending on the color of the tie. For example, if you are looking at a black/white POW, then I think black shoes are the way to go (and black shoes certainly need not be boring).

However, again, it depends on the tie.

mkenny28

Reaction score
Nice, another Nola bro on the board. In any event, I think black would look nice depending on the color of the tie. For example, if you are looking at a black/white POW, then I think black shoes are the way to go (and black shoes certainly need not be boring).

However, again, it depends on the tie.

Who Dat! The suit is a blue that is lighter than Navy with very subtle patterns; Absolutely beautiful fabric that begs for a beautiful brown shoe. Our colors are Navy and Champagne so the tie will be lighter with blues, yellows, pinks, etc. I haven't picked the tie yet since I am color blind so my fiance is helping in that regard. We are getting married outside at the Audubon Tea Room which just leads me to brown shoes as does my outfit. I am staying away from brogues to keep it a bit more classic. My mind is made up on the brown, I just need help choosing the shoe.

mkenny28

Reaction score
Here is the material for the suit. Sorry for the poor pictures but it was the best I could do with my cell. One with flash, one without.

20170818_152632.jpg
20170818_152724.jpg

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice color choices! Navy and champagne wedding here as well, although my suit is actually a midnight blue. A bit more pizzazz than what my groomsmen will be wearing, as I'm the one who should stand out from them.

Here's what colors I have as accents on the suit as well. The copper will be the back inside of the jacket as well as a couple of highlighted areas. The silver polka dots are on the inner sides as well as the back of the vest. Mother of pearl buttons all around.

bespokew&w.jpg

And my belt and shoes, AE Fifth Avenues
IMG_2011.JPG

mkenny28

Reaction score
Nice color choices! Navy and champagne wedding here as well, although my suit is actually a midnight blue. A bit more pizzazz than what my groomsmen will be wearing, as I'm the one who should stand out from them.

Here's what colors I have as accents on the suit as well. The copper will be the back inside of the jacket as well as a couple of highlighted areas. The silver polka dots are on the inner sides as well as the back of the vest. Mother of pearl buttons all around.

View attachment 831683

And my belt and shoes, AE Fifth Avenues
View attachment 831684

Beautiful choices all around. We are definitely going for a similar vibe.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Listen to Marco and go with black shoes.

"Wear what you want to wear" is no advice whatsoever. The poster is seeking information from which to make an educated decision. If he wanted to wear what he wanted (without consideration of other's opinions, he wouldn't be on this forum asking for perspectives.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads