• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mkenny28

Reaction score
Listen to Marco and go with black shoes.

"Wear what you want to wear" is no advice whatsoever. The poster is seeking information from which to make an educated decision. If he wanted to wear what he wanted (without consideration of other's opinions, he wouldn't be on this forum asking for perspectives.

I asked for people's perspectives on the brown shoes I posted, not on whether I should wear black or brown shoes. I do appreciate everyone's comments but I don't want to wear black shoes. I get it, black shoes are more formal; that is not what my fiance and I are looking for.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I asked for people's perspectives on the brown shoes I posted, not on whether I should wear black or brown shoes. I do appreciate everyone's comments but I don't want to wear black shoes. I get it, black shoes are more formal; that is not what my fiance and I are looking for.
Fair enough.
My response was more geared towards the "advice" that you were receiving. I've just never understood the vacuous response of "wear what you want to wear." It seems antithetical to someone who genuinely seeks advice.

mkenny28

Reaction score
Fair enough.
My response was more geared towards the "advice" that you were receiving. I've just never understood the vacuous response of "wear what you want to wear." It seems antithetical to someone who genuinely seeks advice.

Fair enough as well; You make a very good point.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My bespoke suit arrived and I'm very pleased with how it came out! It's very much my style and is going to go great with our beach-y wedding down here. Of course, my iPhone doesn't begin to capture the true colors of the fabrics, but oh well. Took a pic of just the jacket on as well.
IMG_2061.JPG
IMG_2063.JPG
IMG_2077.JPG
IMG_2078.JPG
IMG_2081.JPG
IMG_2082.JPG
IMG_2083.JPG
IMG_2076.JPG

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm getting married next year and am interested in getting a MTM suit/tux for the wedding. I have a n awkward build, so MTM is most likely the way to go...my budget of around $1,000 and am looking to prioritize a couple of things and I figured I'd crowd source some opinions. With a relatively tight budget I'm gonna have to prioritize the "nice to haves"...How would you rank the importance of the following:

A. Full canvas vs half canvas

B. Having your appointment/measured by an actual reputable tailor as opposed to a salesman/store attendant

C. Choosing a high quality fabric (S130-S150 from a name brand mill) vs. the entry level S110- S120 fabrics offered

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking for a tuxedo for my upcoming wedding
I just ordered and returned 4 different tuxedos from online stores

This ended up being the best fitting
A Tom Ford tuxedo jacket sold by itself, No matching pants

Trying to figure out options for pants to go with the jacket
Without paying $950 for TF tuxedo pants

Is it okay to not match the jacket and pants perfectly? Don't know why this jacket was sold separately
Would appreciate some suggestions for where I should look for tuxedo pants to pair with the jacket.

I noticed from the Tom Ford full tuxedo I returned that the TF pants have very wide satin strips down the sides of the legs

20170825_231149.jpg

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My bespoke suit arrived and I'm very pleased with how it came out! It's very much my style and is going to go great with our beach-y wedding down here. Of course, my iPhone doesn't begin to capture the true colors of the fabrics, but oh well. Took a pic of just the jacket on as well. View attachment 832916 View attachment 832917 View attachment 832918 View attachment 832919 View attachment 832920 View attachment 832921 View attachment 832922 View attachment 832923 ..

The color looks nice for a beach wedding. If you are pleased, that is all that really matters. I, likewise, thought about a similar color palette (did not think about it that long, but it was a consideration):

Wedding Suit copy (3).jpg

I will note, however, that the shoulder line and the shoulders look a bit off if this is indeed bespoke. It looks to me that this is more likely MTM or MTO

I'm getting married next year and am interested in getting a MTM suit/tux for the wedding. I have a n awkward build, so MTM is most likely the way to go...my budget of around $1,000 and am looking to prioritize a couple of things and I figured I'd crowd source some opinions. With a relatively tight budget I'm gonna have to prioritize the "nice to haves"...How would you rank the importance of the following: A. Full canvas vs half canvas
B. Having your appointment/measured by an actual reputable tailor as opposed to a salesman/store attendant
C. Choosing a high quality fabric (S130-S150 from a name brand mill) vs. the entry level S110- S120 fabrics offered

In terms of ranking, I would go with B, A, C.

With MTM, it is imperative that you take good measurements from a respectable tailor. With a budget of $1,000, there is a very small pool of MTM tailors that I would trust. Kent Wang is one of them, especially if you can get measured in person.

Looking for a tuxedo for my upcoming wedding
I just ordered and returned 4 different tuxedos from online stores

This ended up being the best fitting
A Tom Ford tuxedo jacket sold by itself, No matching pants

Trying to figure out options for pants to go with the jacket
Without paying $950 for TF tuxedo pants

Is it okay to not match the jacket and pants perfectly? Don't know why this jacket was sold separately
Would appreciate some suggestions for where I should look for tuxedo pants to pair with the jacket.

I noticed from the Tom Ford full tuxedo I returned that the TF pants have very wide satin strips down the sides of the legs

View attachment 834348

Going to throw it out there - you need to get the matching pants. It is honestly non-negotiable. You are wasting your money on the dinner jacket if you do not.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The color looks nice for a beach wedding. If you are pleased, that is all that really matters. I, likewise, thought about a similar color palette (did not think about it that long, but it was a consideration):

View attachment 834616

I will note, however, that the shoulder line and the shoulders look a bit off if this is indeed bespoke. It looks to me that this is more likely MTM or MTO

In terms of ranking, I would go with B, A, C.

With MTM, it is imperative that you take good measurements from a respectable tailor. With a budget of $1,000, there is a very small pool of MTM tailors that I would trust. Kent Wang is one of them, especially if you can get measured in person.

Going to throw it out there - you need to get the matching pants. It is honestly non-negotiable. You are wasting your money on the dinner jacket if you do not.

Thanks @Newcomer ! I am going to try and get measured in person in NYC around December...Kent Wang is my 1st choice, I am a bit worried about sizing due to the fact that I am generally a size 46 in full cut or 48 in slim cut, so i'm not sure if i call within the spectrum of their trial suits

any thoughts on SuitSupply MTM? is it in the same ballpark as Kent Wang?

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And the chances of finding matching pants(exactly) are not great.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if the same model fabric may not match. Often, fabric on different bolts (and even the same bolt) may have minor differences. I would not accept such differences considering what you likely paid.

papado

Reaction score
Thanks @Newcomer ! I am going to try and get measured in person in NYC around December...Kent Wang is my 1st choice, I am a bit worried about sizing due to the fact that I am generally a size 46 in full cut or 48 in slim cut, so i'm not sure if i call within the spectrum of their trial suits

any thoughts on SuitSupply MTM? is it in the same ballpark as Kent Wang?

I think we're a similar size--I asked KW about MTM as their 46R trial suit chest only measures ~44-45"[per the chart] and they said I fell out of the sizing (I measure in between 46-47"). It's worth a try if you're there but I would also ask so you don't waste any time in the city.

I have two MTM SuitSupply suits and they're OK--my pants turned out great and the jackets are decent fits, but as I'm a few years into my journey I must say it's not as great as I'd like. Depending on how hard of a fit you are it may or may not be worth it. From what I remember they're making adjustments to a Lazio fit so if it works well off the rack then you should be fine, else it may be a little hit or miss especially as a salesperson is pinning the adjustments.

It's likely out of your budget, but I'm a big fan of Paul Stuart [made by Samuelsohn]; Full canvas construction with some great fabrics. Their OTR models fit well in the right places for me so I'm planning on going during one of their MTM events so I don't pay as ridiculous a price...

XKxRome0ox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Absolutely correct.

And the chances of finding matching pants(exactly) are not great.

Even if the same model fabric may not match. Often, fabric on different bolts (and even the same bolt) may have minor differences. I would not accept such differences considering what you likely paid.
*sigh*
i was really hoping to get a different kind of response
i guess i have to return this jacket and keep looking

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would certainly think that TF's quality control is such that you could order the "correct" pants online and they would match your jacket (my example with different color/same bolts applies to more niche fabric companies).

However, I will say that I was shocked by just how different various shades of black can be - especially under artificial lighting. I was looking through swatches a few weeks back and looked at four different black baratheas from the same book. Each had a distinctive cast to it. Some, under artificial lighting, legitimately looked green. Others, grey. You tend to think of black as just that - black. But the differences can be just as dramatic - if not more so - than any other color.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 834616

You're correct, it's MTM, not bespoke. I mispoke. It's hard to get a pic of myself wearing it which is really indicative of the fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads