Official Wedding Attire Question/Answer/Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by unbelragazzo, Dec 31, 2012.

1. mkenny28

mkenny28 Well-Known Member

I asked for people's perspectives on the brown shoes I posted, not on whether I should wear black or brown shoes. I do appreciate everyone's comments but I don't want to wear black shoes. I get it, black shoes are more formal; that is not what my fiance and I are looking for.

2. brax

brax Senior member

Fair enough.
    My response was more geared towards the "advice" that you were receiving. I've just never understood the vacuous response of "wear what you want to wear." It seems antithetical to someone who genuinely seeks advice.

3. mkenny28

mkenny28 Well-Known Member

Fair enough as well; You make a very good point.

4. marker2037

marker2037 Senior member

My bespoke suit arrived and I'm very pleased with how it came out! It's very much my style and is going to go great with our beach-y wedding down here. Of course, my iPhone doesn't begin to capture the true colors of the fabrics, but oh well. Took a pic of just the jacket on as well. IMG_2061.JPG IMG_2063.JPG IMG_2077.JPG IMG_2078.JPG IMG_2081.JPG IMG_2082.JPG IMG_2083.JPG IMG_2076.JPG ..

5. classicalthunde

classicalthunde Active Member

I'm getting married next year and am interested in getting a MTM suit/tux for the wedding. I have a n awkward build, so MTM is most likely the way to go...my budget of around $1,000 and am looking to prioritize a couple of things and I figured I'd crowd source some opinions. With a relatively tight budget I'm gonna have to prioritize the "nice to haves"...How would you rank the importance of the following:

A. Full canvas vs half canvas

B. Having your appointment/measured by an actual reputable tailor as opposed to a salesman/store attendant

C. Choosing a high quality fabric (S130-S150 from a name brand mill) vs. the entry level S110- S120 fabrics offered

6. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

Looking for a tuxedo for my upcoming wedding
    I just ordered and returned 4 different tuxedos from online stores

This ended up being the best fitting
    A Tom Ford tuxedo jacket sold by itself, No matching pants

Trying to figure out options for pants to go with the jacket
    Without paying $950 for TF tuxedo pants

Is it okay to not match the jacket and pants perfectly? Don't know why this jacket was sold separately
    Would appreciate some suggestions for where I should look for tuxedo pants to pair with the jacket.

I noticed from the Tom Ford full tuxedo I returned that the TF pants have very wide satin strips down the sides of the legs

20170825_231149.jpg

7. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

The color looks nice for a beach wedding. If you are pleased, that is all that really matters. I, likewise, thought about a similar color palette (did not think about it that long, but it was a consideration):

Wedding Suit copy (3).jpg

I will note, however, that the shoulder line and the shoulders look a bit off if this is indeed bespoke. It looks to me that this is more likely MTM or MTO

In terms of ranking, I would go with B, A, C.

With MTM, it is imperative that you take good measurements from a respectable tailor. With a budget of $1,000, there is a very small pool of MTM tailors that I would trust. Kent Wang is one of them, especially if you can get measured in person.

Going to throw it out there - you need to get the matching pants. It is honestly non-negotiable. You are wasting your money on the dinner jacket if you do not.

8. classicalthunde

classicalthunde Active Member

Thanks @Newcomer ! I am going to try and get measured in person in NYC around December...Kent Wang is my 1st choice, I am a bit worried about sizing due to the fact that I am generally a size 46 in full cut or 48 in slim cut, so i'm not sure if i call within the spectrum of their trial suits

any thoughts on SuitSupply MTM? is it in the same ballpark as Kent Wang?

9. brax

brax Senior member

Absolutely correct.

10. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

And the chances of finding matching pants(exactly) are not great.

11. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Even if the same model fabric may not match. Often, fabric on different bolts (and even the same bolt) may have minor differences. I would not accept such differences considering what you likely paid.

12. papado

papado Active Member

I think we're a similar size--I asked KW about MTM as their 46R trial suit chest only measures ~44-45"[per the chart] and they said I fell out of the sizing (I measure in between 46-47"). It's worth a try if you're there but I would also ask so you don't waste any time in the city.

I have two MTM SuitSupply suits and they're OK--my pants turned out great and the jackets are decent fits, but as I'm a few years into my journey I must say it's not as great as I'd like. Depending on how hard of a fit you are it may or may not be worth it. From what I remember they're making adjustments to a Lazio fit so if it works well off the rack then you should be fine, else it may be a little hit or miss especially as a salesperson is pinning the adjustments.

It's likely out of your budget, but I'm a big fan of Paul Stuart [made by Samuelsohn]; Full canvas construction with some great fabrics. Their OTR models fit well in the right places for me so I'm planning on going during one of their MTM events so I don't pay as ridiculous a price...

13. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

*sigh*
    i was really hoping to get a different kind of response
    i guess i have to return this jacket and keep looking

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I would certainly think that TF's quality control is such that you could order the "correct" pants online and they would match your jacket (my example with different color/same bolts applies to more niche fabric companies).

However, I will say that I was shocked by just how different various shades of black can be - especially under artificial lighting. I was looking through swatches a few weeks back and looked at four different black baratheas from the same book. Each had a distinctive cast to it. Some, under artificial lighting, legitimately looked green. Others, grey. You tend to think of black as just that - black. But the differences can be just as dramatic - if not more so - than any other color.

15. marker2037

marker2037 Senior member

You're correct, it's MTM, not bespoke. I mispoke. It's hard to get a pic of myself wearing it which is really indicative of the fit.