• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had some final fit adjustments with my jacket. Brought in the waist as it was too loose. Much happier now.

FullSizeRender.jpg

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm tired of wearing grey ties to weddings. And there are still many weddings.

What are alternatives to the grey/silver tie? What is your philosophy of the wedding tie (as a guest, not the star)? Would a subtle madder or mat grenadine make a bright colour more appropriate? Will a gold or yellow tie justify straying from the white shirt? How casual does the occasion have to be before you decide to wear an odd jacket instead of a suit?

matty long legs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Screenshot from the wife's IG.
Suit: Hickey Freeman MTM
Shirt: Local MTM (royal oxford, MiUSA)
Tie: Vanda kale matka
Shoes: Alden 907 Straight Tip Bal (thrifted)
Cufflinks: vintage 18k barbells (thrifted)

IMG_7198.jpg

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking good.
It seems that you're warming up to the Albert slippers after all.
Did Chris ask you the car question when you were deciding on vest configuration?

We have certainly had the car discussion - I am a porsche guy. And I brought the albert slippers because I flew stupid Spirit which requires you to keep your checked bags under FORTY pounds. I am pretty stoked with the order so far. Very happy I went with this.

It looks like our tuxes differ primarily in lapel width, and I may have a slightly lower buttoning point. And I have a u-shaped vest.

I saw some of the cloth that you sent to Chris recently - that big overscale glenplaid is pretttty sweet.

Last edited:

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He once told me that a man's preference in cars informs his suggestions in vests. If someone likes a Porsche with its rounded lines, he usually suggests a U-shaped vest because that is likely what the client will prefer. If the client prefers the straight lines of a Ferrari, then the "straight" vest is likely the better option.

CD is working on the glenplaid now. It is pretty heavy (20oz) so we decided to make it a hybrid jacket/coat. I'll likely see him in December so maybe it will be ready by then.

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking about getting a suit done for a summer wedding. Considering the two below cotton options:

E66F9F1E-26DB-47DE-823F-9935B1452E49.jpeg
34EEEF82-9CCD-48EC-A8DF-6155AC98FB14.jpeg

How do you other members feel about a cotton wedding suit? I prefer something less formal and like the idea of a suit I can wear when vacationing after the wedding. The other option I considered was a suit done in a navy Crispaire but I feel like I wear navy enough in life.

Below were the suits that made me consider the option, even though the first is linen :

0CD203D2-45FB-4BD6-915F-105800ECFCBF.jpeg C8D2E1B9-BAF2-4380-8F08-73289D920D1C.jpeg

ahtynes

Reaction score
So I'm thinking about getting a suit done for a summer wedding. Considering the two below cotton options:

View attachment 872988 View attachment 872989

How do you other members feel about a cotton wedding suit? I prefer something less formal and like the idea of a suit I can wear when vacationing after the wedding. The other option I considered was a suit done in a navy Crispaire but I feel like I wear navy enough in life.

Below were the suits that made me consider the option, even though the first is linen :

View attachment 872995 View attachment 872999

I like the idea of a linen/wool blend for summer much more than cotton. I think cotton tends to look flat compared to linen, which offers some texture and the same (a similar?) cooling effect. Wool to help with wrinkling.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I might have said before a guest at my (hot Australian summer) wedding came in a cream linen suit and looked great, it stood out a bit but in a good, classic and appropriate way.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a resident of tropical climes though I think cotton is cooler than linen and wrinkles less. This is an endless discussions in various threads with proponents for both sides, I stand on the cotton side. My cotton-linen blend items are not suitable for wearing with a tie, though.

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The issue is finding a fabric in the buttery yellow I'm looking for. I was able to find it in cotton like I showed, I don't doubt I can find it in linen. But a blend in any sort, especially with with wool I'm sure, has been difficult to find in this color.

Though my main thing is just being on the fence deciding between cotton or linen. I keep going back and forth but currently leaning toward cotton.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads